Author Topic: Point Guard Options  (Read 5735 times)

Re: Point Guard Options
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I want Jrue Holiday.

I don't know how we can get him, or how much it will cost, but I want him here. Very good player, very underrated.
It’s funny almost every teams fans say the same about him to the point I think he’s getting overrated... his shooting is suspect lately but he’s got more durable

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Gordon isnt going anywhere.  There is no way that they will trade him after luring him to sign.

Circumstances have changed with regard to Hayward.  The LAC traded Blake a few months after signing him to a massive contract. This was, of course, after they hired an incredibly astute consultant named Jerry West, who has since placed them in a position of contention. 

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I want Jrue Holiday.

I don't know how we can get him, or how much it will cost, but I want him here. Very good player, very underrated.

I do too, but where would he get minutes if Irving or one of Brown/Smart are still here?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:12 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If we get an expiring contract or a sizable trade exception from Kyries potential new team..... how about we get waiters from Miami ?
Maybe Stevens can turn him into a 20 pt per game scorer and a closer?

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:25 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If Kyrie walks, I wouldn’t mind Beverly. He’s a good 3-and-D option that should be available for the MLE. He can play starter minutes and definitely has the grit and savviness to help us win games.

Still make the trade for AD. Presumably they want Tatum and we can keep Brown, so a lineup of Beverly/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis would be a well-balanced unit. If we can keep Smart out of the deal, I’d be ok with him running the point for half his playing time.

I assume Baynes would be the salary filler (I’m guessing something along the lines of Tatum/Baynes/Yabu/Williams/#14/#20/MEM), so getting a vet big besides resigning Theis would be a priority, along with a decent wing.

I think that Smart pretty much has to be in an AD deal from both a salary cap aspect and a talent fairness aspect. Smart will make $12.5 million. Those other 4 guys make much less individually.

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If we get an expiring contract or a sizable trade exception from Kyries potential new team..... how about we get waiters from Miami ?
Maybe Stevens can turn him into a 20 pt per game scorer and a closer?

Ah yes, Dion Waiters...

He was a huge binkie of mine, but I think that ship has sailed... If he could be a 20 PPG, you would think he would've been able to hit past 17-18 PPG at least by now.. He was always my favorite SG in NBA 2K13. He's also missed like over 30 games the past 3 seasons, so durability concerns should be made aware.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I want Jrue Holiday.

I do too, but where would he get minutes if Irving or one of Brown/Smart are still here?

At small forward

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If Kyrie walks, I wouldn’t mind Beverly. He’s a good 3-and-D option that should be available for the MLE. He can play starter minutes and definitely has the grit and savviness to help us win games.

Still make the trade for AD. Presumably they want Tatum and we can keep Brown, so a lineup of Beverly/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis would be a well-balanced unit. If we can keep Smart out of the deal, I’d be ok with him running the point for half his playing time.

I assume Baynes would be the salary filler (I’m guessing something along the lines of Tatum/Baynes/Yabu/Williams/#14/#20/MEM), so getting a vet big besides resigning Theis would be a priority, along with a decent wing.

I think that Smart pretty much has to be in an AD deal from both a salary cap aspect and a talent fairness aspect. Smart will make $12.5 million. Those other 4 guys make much less individually.

They are in the ~$23M range with the package I mentioned (which if the kicker is waived should be enough), and the consensus is that Tatum is probably the best single asset they can realistically get. While it would be more convenient to include Smart, he doesn’t HAVE to be included. Depends on what the other offers are, and if he actually fills a need for New Orleans.

The MEM pick is an underrated one to have for them (especially if the unload Conley) to stagger rookie deals, as they will already have Williamson and Tatum and several other young players. Obviously we’ve seen both sides of future picks (Nets and Kings), but it wouldn’t exactly be a stretch to see that as a top-5 pick in 2021.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If we lose Kyrie to Nets, Spencer Dinwiddie would be someone to go after.

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I've made a list of point guards (or able to play that position) that met some loose criteria as being able to score the ball with regularity (FGM>4.5) and provide assists (AST ratio>18). On that list are 25 players, most of them unavailable or too expensive.

But there's one player that could be signed cheap this summer in free agency: Emmanuel Mudiay. Surely not a flashy name and this year his numbers might have been increased just by being on a terrible team, but look at his career averages below per 30 minutes (seems more reasonable to me than 36 minutes). He could be one of those players that's kind of forgotten after not having met high post-draft expectations, while actually being pretty decent. He's only 23 years old, his 2FG% was a lot better this season (49%) by the way.

Emmanuel Mudiay, 23 years, career per 30 min: 13,8 PPG / 4,9 AST / 3,6 REB / 0,9 ST / 2,8 TO / 2,0 PF
shooting: 42% (2FG) / 32% (3FG) / 74% (FT)

Some comparisons:

Terry Rozier, 25 years, career per 30 min: 11,5 PPG / 3,5 AST / 5,4 REB / 1,1 ST / 1,2 TO / 1,7 PF
shooting: 42% (2FG) / 32% (3FG) / 74% (FT)

Dennis Smith Jr., 21 years, career per 30 min: 14,8 PPG / 5,0 AST / 3,6 REB / 1,1 ST / 3,0 TO / 2,4 PF
shooting: 45% (2FG) / 32% (3FG) / 70% (FT)

Elfrid Payton, 25 years, career per 30 min: 11,3 PPG / 6,7 AST / 4,4 REB / 1,3 ST / 2,5 TO / 2,2 PF
shooting: 48% (2FG) / 30% (3FG) / 63% (FT)

List of names + age, this season: (FGM>4.5) and (AST ratio>18)

Trae Young   20
De'Aaron Fox   21
Dennis Smith Jr.   21
Jamal Murray   22
Devin Booker   22
Ben Simmons 22
D'Angelo Russell   23
Monte Morris   23
Emmanuel Mudiay   23
Dennis Schroder   25
Spencer Dinwiddie   26
Kyrie Irving   27