Author Topic: C's defensive numbers since Bradley came back  (Read 6938 times)

C's defensive numbers since Bradley came back
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4700937/cs-defensive-improvement-in-focus

its only a 3 game sample size, but the C's have had the best defense the past 3 games

and one of the worst before bradleys return...

we need to keep it up, but  I wonder what all those who said "bradley wont make a difference" are saying now? its clear he has had a big impact on this team(last year and so far this year)

Re: C's defensive numbers since Bradley came back
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. They actually lost the first game Bradley came back, and they lost convincingly to a poor team. I was at that game, and the celtics were awful on both ends of the floor. It's the team as a whole getting fed up with poor losses and trusting in their coach and each other.  I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

Give credit where it's due, to the celtics players finally beginning to trust in Doc and the defensive system.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

Give credit where it's due, to the celtics players finally beginning to trust in Doc and the defensive system.

so, the past 2 years its just been a "coincidence" that when bradley starts we play better defense?

sure hes struggled offensively. but I havent seen anything defensively to show me hes struggling there.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

so, the past 2 years its just been a "coincidence" that when bradley starts we play better defense?

sure hes struggled offensively. but I havent seen anything defensively to show me hes struggling there.

you keep trying to create some image of Bradley that doesn't reflect reality. If you really want to believe that, good for you, but it there are 9 new players on this team from last year's team. You cannot compare the two teams, and you have to realize it takes a lot to get so many players to learn a complex defensive system and trust in each other and their coach. Give Doc and the players credit.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I still think this team needs a servicable big to compete for a title.  That being said, Bradley has been magnificent these past three games.  I love the kid.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It's hard to measure the impact of a spark.  You know the spark alone doesn't start the fire, but you also know the fire doesn't start without the spark.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

you keep trying to create some image of Bradley that doesn't reflect reality. If you really want to believe that, good for you, but it there are 9 new players on this team from last year's team. You cannot compare the two teams, and you have to realize it takes a lot to get so many players to learn a complex defensive system and trust in each other and their coach. Give Doc and the players credit.

So I guess that Doc AND the players see it differently than you do (watch any interview after these games). Yes, it's a team effort, not one player can/should be given all the credit but Avery is a HUGE key in what makes the team better defensively... what he does has a trickle down effect. How many new players do the NYK and ATL have this season...  can't remember how many new players the NYK have but it's quite a few, the Hawks have NINE new players, funny how they manage to play well this season and gel as a team. You keep fooling yourself into believing AB isn't a catalyst for the improved defense and I will just keep listening to Doc and the players! Doc said he told RR and AB last night that they can be the best 2 guards on defense and that they should go out there and prove it (something along those lines), AB and RR came out and shut Teague and Williams down, they pressured the ball non-stop, that in turn caused everyone else to step their games up! How many times does PP and the guys have to say that AB is the best on ball defender and that his effort is so great that it gives a boost to everyone else? So you're going to really use AB's first game back after not playing for months to say that he isn't a big reason the team's D has gone from nonexistent to one of the best? Really? Okay, I tell you what if our D doesn't continue to be improved from the first 30 games, with AB, then I will come in here and say, "you were right, AB was not the biggest reason for the turnaround". I'm not talking wins or loses but just the defense (but with better defense more wins should come... not all wins but more for sure). 30 games is the magic number for new guys to come together, nope, it's not Bradley... the other people on the team are just crazy...  ::)

It wasn't one game that the other guys had some type of epiphany and figured out the defense all of a sudden... if it is the case then it sure is weird that it took them until AB came back. Oh and also, AB's first game back, the problem wasn't defense, the problem was offense, we couldn't hit the ocean if our life depended on it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:56:55 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

So I guess that Doc AND the players see it differently than you do (watch any interview after these games). Yes, it's a team effort, not one player can/should be given all the credit but Avery is a HUGE key in what makes the team better defensively... what he does has a trickle down effect. How many new players do the NYK and ATL have this season...  can't remember how many new players the NYK have but it's quite a few, the Hawks have NINE new players, funny how they manage to play well this season and gel as a team. You keep fooling yourself into believe AB isn't a catalyst for the improved defense and I will just keep listening to Doc and the players! Doc said he told RR and AB last night that they can be the best 2 guards on defense and that they should go out there and prove it (something along those lines), AB and RR came out and shut Teague and Williams down, they pressured the ball non-stop, that in turn caused everyone else to step their games up! How many times does PP and the guys have to say that AB is the best on ball defender and that his effort is so great that it gives a boost to everyone else? So you're going to really use AB's first game back after not playing for months to say that he isn't a big reason the team's D has gone from nonexistent to one of the best? Really? Okay, I tell you what if our D doesn't continue to be improved from the first 30 games, with AB, then I will come in here and say, "you were right, AB was not the biggest reason for the turnaround". I'm not talking wins or loses but just the defense (but with better defense more wins should come... not all wins but more for sure). 30 games is the magic number for new guys to come together, nope, it's not Bradley... the other people on the team are just crazy...  ::)

I suppose we should be able to trade him for Dwight Howard then if everything you believe it true  ::)

Our defense was great against the heat in the ECF last year WITHOUT Bradley. Our defense was great when we went 7 games with the lakers in the NBA Finals WITHOUT Bradley, and of course, our defense was great in 2008 WITHOUT Bradley.

All of those games had Ray Allen in the lineup instead. Was Ray a defensive monster? Did I miss that?

Point is, it's our team trusting in the defense, not a magical effect of an undersized SG.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

We were one of the best defensive teams in the entire NBA before Bradley was even drafted. That's no coincidence.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

We were one of the best defensive teams in the entire NBA before Bradley was even drafted. That's no coincidence.

Thank you. Someone displaying some common sense on this topic. That's all I've been trying to say.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
it hasn't been Bradley, it's been the entire team coming together and beginning to understand the defense, trust each other, and give a full effort. Washburn's articles have documented this quite well recently. They actually lost the first game Bradley came back, and they lost convincingly to a poor team. I was at that game, and the celtics were awful on both ends of the floor. It's the team as a whole getting fed up with poor losses and trusting in their coach and each other.  I'm glad Bradley's back, but he has struggled so far, as expected considering all the time he missed. He looks mediocre at the moment.

How can you say it has not been Bradley? Do you even watch the games?

The team had close to half a season without Bradley who is known to be a big time defensive guard and turns out the worst defense numbers in the league. Then the defensive expert comes back and in the three games since he has been back the team posts the best defense numbers in the league, and you say it has not been his impact?

Come on now.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

It's definitely more than a coincidence that the team is defending better and playing harder since Bradley returned.  Even if you don't think Bradley is playing well, you've got to acknowledge that his presence and supply of energy has had a positive effect on his teammates. 
Yup

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

So I guess that Doc AND the players see it differently than you do (watch any interview after these games). Yes, it's a team effort, not one player can/should be given all the credit but Avery is a HUGE key in what makes the team better defensively... what he does has a trickle down effect. How many new players do the NYK and ATL have this season...  can't remember how many new players the NYK have but it's quite a few, the Hawks have NINE new players, funny how they manage to play well this season and gel as a team. You keep fooling yourself into believe AB isn't a catalyst for the improved defense and I will just keep listening to Doc and the players! Doc said he told RR and AB last night that they can be the best 2 guards on defense and that they should go out there and prove it (something along those lines), AB and RR came out and shut Teague and Williams down, they pressured the ball non-stop, that in turn caused everyone else to step their games up! How many times does PP and the guys have to say that AB is the best on ball defender and that his effort is so great that it gives a boost to everyone else? So you're going to really use AB's first game back after not playing for months to say that he isn't a big reason the team's D has gone from nonexistent to one of the best? Really? Okay, I tell you what if our D doesn't continue to be improved from the first 30 games, with AB, then I will come in here and say, "you were right, AB was not the biggest reason for the turnaround". I'm not talking wins or loses but just the defense (but with better defense more wins should come... not all wins but more for sure). 30 games is the magic number for new guys to come together, nope, it's not Bradley... the other people on the team are just crazy...  ::)

I suppose we should be able to trade him for Dwight Howard then if everything you believe it true  ::)

I'm not saying you are stupid but this is a stupid comment (yikes, I still may get in trouble)! No one is saying he is as good as DH but what he does for THIS team, is very important! I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around a guy that just does his job on defense so well that he can be a huge catalyst for his team's success despite not filling up a stat sheet... but like I said before, you can keep doing that! I'm just going to believe what I see and what the players, Doc, and Danny say.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Once again, we were a top defensive team in 2008 (NBA title) 2010 (NBA finals) and 2012 (ECF) all without Bradley, all with Ray Allen in his place. How can you honestly believe that Bradley is that big of a difference? Have you watched this team the last 5 years?

Other than 2008 when they played at a top level all through the season, they have basically gone on autopilot every year since, and then turn it on halfway through, because they know they can, and because it takes too much out of them to do it every night. It also takes forever to get new guys to learn the system. It is what it is. Bradley is great, I'm glad we have him. But he's not the difference maker you guys believe him to be.

The only point when he might be that difference maker is if we play the heat again in the playoffs and he can actually shut down Wade though. We then have to hope that Green can do a decent job on Lebron.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I'm not saying you are stupid but this is a stupid comment (yikes, I still may get in trouble)! No one is saying he is as good as DH but what he does for THIS team, is very important! I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around a guy that just does his job on defense so well that he can be a huge catalyst for his team's success despite not filling up a stat sheet... but like I said before, you can keep doing that! I'm just going to believe what I see and what the players, Doc, and Danny say.

I think it's agree to disagree time gents. - Redz 
Yup