Author Topic: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role  (Read 4347 times)

Re: Joel Embiid "reportedly" frustrated by his role
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Someone insert the MJ eating popcorn emoji for me.

Simmons is a 6'10 Rondo and his inability to space the floor is beginning to negatively affect his team.

Simmons and Embiid are a terrible fit together and it's just a matter of time before they must split.
Everyone is calling Simmons a 6'11' Rondo but Rondo actually took three point shots and hit them at 31% from three and has a career FT% over 60% as well as having a defensive rating 3 points lower than Simmons. Yeah, Simmons has a FG% 9 points higher than Rondo but he is also 9 inches taller than Rondo.

Simmons isn't like Rondo. He is more like a Magic Johnson that doesn't shoot, pass, rebound, shoot free throws or have a will to win and doesn't make his team mates better like Magic does.
aside from bolded i might agree. but simmons is a phenomenal passer and he does rebound well.

however in terms of three pointers, for his career he is 0 for 11.  :o heck, i could do that at a third of the salary.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Simmons is a 6'10 Rondo and his inability to space the floor is beginning to negatively affect his team.

Simmons and Embiid are a terrible fit together and it's just a matter of time before they must split.
Everyone is calling Simmons a 6'11' Rondo but Rondo actually took three point shots and hit them at 31% from three and has a career FT% over 60% as well as having a defensive rating 3 points lower than Simmons. Yeah, Simmons has a FG% 9 points higher than Rondo but he is also 9 inches taller than Rondo.

Simmons isn't like Rondo. He is more like a Magic Johnson that doesn't shoot, pass, rebound, shoot free throws or have a will to win and doesn't make his team mates better like Magic does.
aside from bolded i might agree. but simmons is a phenomenal passer and he does rebound well.

however in terms of three pointers, for his career he is 0 for 11.  :o heck, i could do that at a third of the salary.  ;D
I know it was a different era but Magic rarely shot 3's until the very end of his career and he shot them at a horrible percentage until the end of his career as well.  The similarities are more then height with those 2.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I know it was a different era but Magic rarely shot 3's until the very end of his career and he shot them at a horrible percentage until the end of his career as well.  The similarities are more then height with those 2.
In an era where the three point shot was not an established weapon nor encouraged to be taken, Magic took 49 and hit 10 in two seasons. Not good but for an era that didn't use the three as a major staple of the offense, not horrible. He ended up hitting 30% for his career from three in an era that didn't emphasize the three. At this point will Simmons ever hit a three. That is a huge negative for him overall if he is completely inept from there. Simmons isn't just shooting 20% from three in an era where players didn't take threes he is 0 for his career from three after 1 1/2 years when the three pointer is a major staple in how the game is played.

And if the guy gets hot, foul him. Hack a Ben. He is only a mid to high 50's percentile shooter from the line. In a lot of ways, Rondo's game is and was better than Simmons.

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 12:28:18 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
fix the roster instead of wasting the talents of their best player, Embiid, a transcendent big man who can get whatever he wants on the post, turned into a poor man's Kevin Love to make room for a homeless man's Lebron and a 6'10 Rondo.

beautiful - one of the funniest lines i've seen on this board.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 02:18:44 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

But Embiid already has his big payday.

he has made millions for doing nothing for years.
Embiid has developed himself into a top 10 player having only played 120 regular season games.  Embiid is the leader of the Sixers and a huge fan favorite.  Without Embiid, the Sixers would be lucky to make the playoffs.  That is certainly not nothing.  On the other hand, you have Wiggins and Parker who were drafted ahead of Embiid ...  Or what about Towns...  Or Porzingis... 

If you were to combine the last 5 drafts and do a re-draft, Embiid would go first and it really would be that close.

I'd take Doncic...
I still might take Towns over Embiid as well.  Availability is often the best ability and Towns is a better all around offensive player (obviously Embiid is better defensively, but there aren't many ever that can score from anywhere like Towns can).

Luka last night against the Rockets with the 11 points to win the game. None of these other guys have  what this kid has. He is leading his team from the get go.He's going to be the best guy in the NBA in 3 or 4 years. He's got it all and he's 19.

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 02:45:00 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Don’t expect young players to sacrifice for the good of the team. Guys like Embiid, Simmons, Jaylen, Rozier are all playing for their big payday, and I can’t blame them. They are all an injury away from becoming the next IT

Embiid has developed himself into a top 10 player having only played 120 regular season games.  Embiid is the leader of the Sixers and a huge fan favorite.  Without Embiid, the Sixers would be lucky to make the playoffs.  That is certainly not nothing.  On the other hand, you have Wiggins and Parker who were drafted ahead of Embiid ...  Or what about Towns...  Or Porzingis... 

If you were to combine the last 5 drafts and do a re-draft, Embiid would go first and it really would be that close.

I'd take Doncic...
I still might take Towns over Embiid as well.  Availability is often the best ability and Towns is a better all around offensive player (obviously Embiid is better defensively, but there aren't many ever that can score from anywhere like Towns can).

Luka last night against the Rockets with the 11 points to win the game. None of these other guys have  what this kid has. He is leading his team from the get go.He's going to be the best guy in the NBA in 3 or 4 years. He's got it all and he's 19.
I like Doncic but the hype for him is over the top on here.  Best player in the NBA in 3 or 4 years.  Top 25 of all time.  It is very unlikely that either of those are met.  Embiid already has transformed a bad team to one of the top teams in the East. 

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 02:57:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'd take Doncic...
Availability doesn't mean much if it doesn't lead to winning.  Embiid is leading Towns on pretty much everything but steals and 3pt shooting.  Embiid even has more assists and fewer turnovers.  Embiid is averaging 10.1 FTAs versus 4.7 for Towns.  Embiid's usage is 31.1 versus Towns at 25.6 and Embiid only gets assisted on 52.5% of his buckets versus 71.7 for Towns.  So Embiid is carrying a heavier offense load and putting up better numbers.  Then add that Embiid is one of the best defenders versus Towns mediocre, at best, defense. 

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'd take Doncic...
Availability doesn't mean much if it doesn't lead to winning.  Embiid is leading Towns on pretty much everything but steals and 3pt shooting.  Embiid even has more assists and fewer turnovers.  Embiid is averaging 10.1 FTAs versus 4.7 for Towns.  Embiid's usage is 31.1 versus Towns at 25.6 and Embiid only gets assisted on 52.5% of his buckets versus 71.7 for Towns.  So Embiid is carrying a heavier offense load and putting up better numbers.  Then add that Embiid is one of the best defenders versus Towns mediocre, at best, defense.
Minnesota is 9-4 in their last 13 games since they got rid of Butler.  They are winning just fine.  Towns has upped his production in that time including three 20 rebound games and two 35 point outbursts.  Towns just turned 23 and has not missed a single game in 3+ seasons averaging at least 32 mpg every season.  Embiid is better because of the defense, but there is absolutely something to be said for being able to count on a player showing up and logging big minutes every single game especially when that player is younger, has improved every single season, and has a better overall offensive game (given that offense is more important than defense in the modern game). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I told peeps that Butler would be causing issues, just sit back and let them implode.

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Embiid clarified that his frustration is with his role change not with Butler.  As Pompey correctly points out, it is on Coach Brown to work out the right balance.  In reality, Butler and Embiid should be a good fit.  Its Simmons unwillingness/inability to shoot jumpers that is the lion's share of the problem. 
http://www2.philly.com/sports/joel-embiid-jimmy-butler-sixers-ers-brett-brown-ben-simmons-20181209.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar