Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 109007 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2022, 08:02:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Moranis, Tried to tell you about Devante Parker. 3 catches 107 yards. If healthy, he can be a #1. Problem is he misses a lot of games with injury.

4/132.

5/156.  :laugh:
was he injured the 1st and 2nd week?  You know when he had 1 catch for 9 yards total. He is a pretty classic #3 type WR.  You know a guy you forget is on the team and then every once in awhile does something spectacular. He had a nice game today, he will have more, but it doesn't mean he isn't a #3 WR unless he keeps doing what he did today against an injured secondary.

So which WR#3’s are putting up 5/156 yards in 1 game? And which WR#3 have had a 1200 yard/9TD receiving season. I’ll wait.

Weirdly, there were a few breakout games by #3 / borderline #2 receivers this week.  8 / 169 / 1 TD for Devonta Smith.  8 / 158 / 1 TD for Mack Hollins.  9 / 147 / 0 TD for Chris Olave.

I don’t consider Smith or Olave to be WR3 talents and they all had more than 5 receptions to get that sort of yardage. I mean, Smith won the Heisman. Olave was picked #11 overall in this years draft. They have the talent to do that. Really sucks that Mac is injured. Would have loved to see if he and Parker could build off of this game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2022, 08:04:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Idk whose worse between Matt Patricia or Josh McDaniels cuz the latter is now 0-3 in his new team and I'm not sure if his seat is becoming hot yet

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2022, 08:07:17 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Idk whose worse between Matt Patricia or Josh McDaniels cuz the latter is now 0-3 in his new team and I'm not sure if his seat is becoming hot yet

Patricia. I don't think McDaniels has been bad, the Raiders have just had two super close losses. Could easily be 2-1 instead of 0-3. The defense though, particularly pass rush is a concern.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2022, 08:17:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Well, Mac was runner up for rookie of the year last season with McDaniels as OC. As a rookie he had 22TD’s/13INT’s and the Pats made it to the playoffs. So far this season he has 2TD’s and 5INT’s. Going to say the Patricia play calling has a good amount to do with that considering Bill Isn’t allowing Mac to audible. They are also letting him get killed out there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 11:03:06 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2022, 11:07:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Moranis, Tried to tell you about Devante Parker. 3 catches 107 yards. If healthy, he can be a #1. Problem is he misses a lot of games with injury.

4/132.

5/156.  :laugh:
was he injured the 1st and 2nd week?  You know when he had 1 catch for 9 yards total. He is a pretty classic #3 type WR.  You know a guy you forget is on the team and then every once in awhile does something spectacular. He had a nice game today, he will have more, but it doesn't mean he isn't a #3 WR unless he keeps doing what he did today against an injured secondary.

So which WR#3’s are putting up 5/156 yards in 1 game? And which WR#3 have had a 1200 yard/9TD receiving season. I’ll wait.
Parker did that 4 seasons ago, are you suggesting he is the same player when the last year he had 515 yards and the year before he had 793 yards (and that was over 14 games).  And what happened in week 1 and week 2?  He wasn't hurt.  They weren't playing in monsoons or anything.  Where was Parker?

But since you asked, you said he was better than Mooney.  Last year as a 2nd year player with 3 different starting QB's, Mooney had 1055 yards and had 4 separate games of more than 120 yards receiving.  I don't believe Mooney is a #3, but according to you Parker is better, so there you go.  A guy that can have amazing games every so often.

I think you also said he was better than Bateman who went for 4 and 108 against the Dolphins last week with a TD (in just his 14th game as a pro).  Not quite as many yards per catch, but he actually scored a TD.  Again, I don't think Bateman is a #3, but according to you, Parker is better. 

Someone else just mentioned Mack Hollins.  8 for 158 and a TD today.  That guy was a 4th round pick in 2017 who had 832 career yards receiving before today. 

Tyler Boyd is the 3rd best receiver on the Bengals.  He had 4 for 105 and a TD today.  Never had 1200 yards, but has had over 1000 twice and a few other games in the ballpark of what Parker did today.

Russell Gage has had a whole bunch of games over 125 yards.  He is pretty clearly a #3.

Zay Jones has had a 120 yard receiving game.  ZAY JONES.  Christian Kirk has had those as well.

Now are all those games 150 yards on 5 catches, nope, but most of them involved scoring TD's and not a single one of those players preceding those games went for 1 catch and 9 yards in the 2 games prior. 

DeVante Parker is a #3 WR.  He isn't good enough to be more than that.  He will have other really nice games at some point this year, but he will also have the 0 catch games.  That is what makes him a #3. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 11:16:34 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2022, 11:38:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Patriots had plenty of chances to win this game but couldn’t get out of their own way, and now Mac’s hurt. Shaping up to be a great season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2022, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
This could be a blessing in disguise at least for the short term. Mac wrecked any chance they had of winning the game with his INT's. Last week I thought they won in spite of him. The term 'game manager' is overused but if they can keep running the ball consistently, Hoyer being the QB shouldn't hurt them that much.  Frankly Mac has sucked over 3 games.

« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2022, 12:00:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

Well, Mac was runner up for rookie of the year last season with McDaniels as OC. As a rookie he had 22TD’s/13INT’s and the Pats made it to the playoffs. So far this season he has 2TD’s and 5INT’s. Going to say the Patricia play calling has a good amount to do with that considering Bill Isn’t allowing Mac to audible. They are also letting him get killed out there.
The plays were fine when he completed passes and when they ran it effectively. Mac's decision making killed any chance they had of winning.

« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2022, 12:43:20 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
GB open at -10 next week against the Pats in Lambeau...think it'll keep going up with the possibility of Bailey Zappe starting

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2022, 08:02:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
GB open at -10 next week against the Pats in Lambeau...think it'll keep going up with the possibility of Bailey Zappe starting
that is a very big number for a team as good defensively as New England is, especially since Green Bay hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire offensively themselves.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
that is a very big number for a team as good defensively as New England is, especially since Green Bay hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire offensively themselves.
Probably going to be a 13-3 thriller
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lambeau is a bucket list place.  Went there for Pats-Packers in '14.

If you like sports, you need to get to Lambeau for a game once in your life.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I felt there was improvement.  It is so hard to tell how good the opponents are.  We lose to MIA and you say ouch but then MIA beats BUF.  And BAL really outplayed MIA but then lost.  So is BAL as good as BUF?  We played more or less even with BAL but gave it away with turnovers.  Jackson is really good.  That was the main difference.  Jackson outplayed Jones by a mile.  4 TD/1 Int vs 0 TD / 3 Int.  107 yards rushing (and countless escapes) vs. 31 yards rushing.

Mac Jones continues to show flashes but has not been consistent.  Some people are blaming the coaches, some the O-Line, and both are fair but in this game, our O-Line played as well as BAL's, maybe better.  I don't know the numbers but I would say we had more hurries or pressures on them, Jackson just was able to run away from them (although we did get 4 sacks).  I think the problem with the coaching is that the schemes are different.  Receivers are not executing consistently, the O-Line is not executing consistently, Jones is probably not making good reads all the time, it is all of the above (but better this week than the last 2 games).  The biggest issue to me is that Jones is just making too many unforced errors.

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I felt there was improvement.  It is so hard to tell how good the opponents are.  We lose to MIA and you say ouch but then MIA beats BUF.  And BAL really outplayed MIA but then lost.  So is BAL as good as BUF?  We played more or less even with BAL but gave it away with turnovers.  Jackson is really good.  That was the main difference.  Jackson outplayed Jones by a mile.  4 TD/1 Int vs 0 TD / 3 Int.  107 yards rushing (and countless escapes) vs. 31 yards rushing.

Mac Jones continues to show flashes but has not been consistent.  Some people are blaming the coaches, some the O-Line, and both are fair but in this game, our O-Line played as well as BAL's, maybe better.  I don't know the numbers but I would say we had more hurries or pressures on them, Jackson just was able to run away from them (although we did get 4 sacks).  I think the problem with the coaching is that the schemes are different.  Receivers are not executing consistently, the O-Line is not executing consistently, Jones is probably not making good reads all the time, it is all of the above (but better this week than the last 2 games).  The biggest issue to me is that Jones is just making too many unforced errors.

I think Jones' throws and reads have been underwhelming and it is hard to know if it's because of a Jones regressing or coaching making things harder on them. I do see the Patriots making some tough coaching mistakes. Forget about the delay of games, but you are on a 3rd and 8 and run with the ball, then you get stopped and go for a 4th and 3? Why not just throw the ball and try to get closer and if not, just kick the ball since we were on FG range?

Baby Jesus!

« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

He reminds me of Tommy Hodson. He would look great moving the ball upfield and then would toss it to the other team at very inopportune times. Granted Mac has a lot more talent than Hodson, but he seems to have the same knack for throwing really bad INT's.