Author Topic: David Ortiz shot, hospitalized in Dominican Republic  (Read 21942 times)

Re: David Ortiz shot, hospitalized in Dominican Republic
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Police have identified the shooter as Eddy Feliz Garcia. He is in custody. There's a video of him on Twitter just after he was beaten by a crowd. I'd rather not link to it due to content but a Twitter search can easily find it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Femoral Artery is in the leg and you can die if it gets hit via exsanguination aka loss of blood.  If this is hit a guy can pass out quickly and bleed. Here is an article how dangerous it is to be shot in the leg.

That's how Sean Taylor died.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That definitely looked more like a hit than a robbery. 

Just awful news.  He's a Dominican legend.  The shooter deserves to get beaten and whatever else is headed his way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There is a video. He's on the top towards the left. The shooter just comes in from behind. Really awful. Thankfully it was just a single shot.

View at your own risk.

https://twitter.com/elnuevodiariord/status/1137913067482877952

That is just insane. Dude just walks up, raises the gun with both hands, and shoots him in the back from like 5 feet away, then runs off. Definitely attempted murder.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There is a video. He's on the top towards the left. The shooter just comes in from behind. Really awful. Thankfully it was just a single shot.

View at your own risk.

That is just insane. Dude just walks up, raises the gun with both hands, and shoots him in the back from like 5 feet away, then runs off. Definitely attempted murder.

Luckily the guy must not have been an experienced shooter. He easily could have popped him twice in the head.

Scary. And I’m with Nick: I was planning a vacation to the DR in October, and that’s off the table now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

View at your own risk.

Luckily the guy must not have been an experienced shooter. He easily could have popped him twice in the head.

Scary. And I’m with Nick: I was planning a vacation to the DR in October, and that’s off the table now.

I know that a lot of places like the DR have areas that are supposedly safe for tourists, but I wouldn't go anywhere near any of those countries. Too risky. Especially when people could just go to Hawaii.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

View at your own risk.

I know that a lot of places like the DR have areas that are supposedly safe for tourists, but I wouldn't go anywhere near any of those countries. Too risky. Especially when people could just go to Hawaii.
This really is awful, I'm glad he's stable.

If you are a New Englander, do yourself a favor and do the Boston to Bermuda cruise on Norwegian if you want some of that island life vacation time. Sails right out of Boston Harbor, and Bermuda has a super low crime rate.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

View at your own risk.

I have been to both the DR and Puerto Rico. Very little difference except maybe in price. Pay the extra few bucks, go to Puerto Rico(where you will find way more people who speak English) and stay in America. You will be safer and happier for it.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
People shouldn't reconsider traveling to the DR if they were already going to do so. There is crime everywhere, you just need to stick to the tourist areas and be careful. I have been to a lot of different Caribbean islands (I go on a couple of cruises a year out of FL) and I wouldn't say that the DR feels any sketchier than other places; it is actually quite beautiful and the people were very friendly. They are also all about their larimar.

It is shocking what happened to Papi, but that certainly didn't seem like random violence - I'm really happy he is going to be okay.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:55:52 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 03:58:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People shouldn't reconsider traveling to the DR if they were already going to do so. There is crime everywhere, you just need to stick to the tourist areas and be careful. I have been to a lot of different Caribbean islands (I go on a couple of cruises a year out of FL) and I wouldn't say that the DR feels any sketchier than other places; it is actually quite beautiful and the people were very friendly. They are also all about their larimar.

It is shocking what happened to Papi, but that certainly didn't seem like random violence - I'm really happy he is going to be okay.

It’s not just Papi, it’s the other violence / deaths that have made news lately, specifically in relation to the resorts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
My Dominican buddy claims this is an isolated accident. He says big papi fooled with someone’s girlfriend and the jealous guy sent someone to retaliate. DR didn’t feel unsafe when we were there this spring. I did get offered all kind of services however.
You have to consider that millions of Americans go there every year and get drunk , high or pay for sex and very incidents happen.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Visiting on a cruise and spending a week at a resort are completely different. Cruises have excursion deals with different companies on the island and have to be safe and reputable or else the cruise line wouldn't deal with them.

Cruise lines also tend to dock at the safest ports and usually leave by night time, when it is least safe. You are also seldom spending more than 24 hours in those ports.

The DR really push resorts as their main tourism option. Those places are not always in the best/safest areas. And those three Americans that died didn't show outward signs of murder or foul play. That is worrisome.

Anyway, if people want to continue the tourism talk, let's start another thread. This is about Big Papi. Let's get back on subject.

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It’s not just Papi, it’s the other violence / deaths that have made news lately, specifically in relation to the resorts.

I saw that there were a couple of deaths, not really sure what was behind those. It just seemed that people were pinpointing what happened to Papi as the reason they were no longer going. It's totally reasonable if you are going to expand that to other incidents.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I heard a companion was shot in the leg and Papi was shot in the back on the radio

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Big Papi has been taken to Boston for further treatment. He was flown to Boston on a team-chartered plane and is currently at Mass General.

David Ortiz was here for us when our city was attacked, now Boston will be here for him.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/06/10/oritz-may-have-suffered-organ-damage-from-bullet-during-ambush-bar-santo-domingo/GCGSOFsvaBIvcouVU58M0H/story.html

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D