Author Topic: Kyrie Replacements  (Read 1442 times)

Kyrie Replacements
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:11 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I was thinking about the following today: Suppose Kyrie leaves over the summer, Kemba is already signed and we are left with the following choices:

1. Roll with Smart and Rozier as the PGs
2. Sign IT and pair him with Smart
3. Sign Rondo and pair him with Smart

I am going under the assumption that our team would still be in the hunt to win the East (which may mean that we sign someone at another position with the money we save from Kyrie and co.)

The nostalgic fan in me would love to see either 2 or 3 happen.  Particularly Rondo - he can help coach the team on the floor and allow Tatum and Brown to grow into the studs that the Celtics actually need them to be.  I appreciate the views of the members on this site and would love to know your thoughts.

Re: Kyrie Replacements
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I would strongly prefer not to replace a top 12 player with a washed up player, and I feel confident that it shouldn't come to that.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of those three?

Pair Rondo with Smart as a stop gap.  It'll be a lot cheaper than signing Rozier who I'm fine letting go. 

I love IT4 but, physically, I don't think he's coming back to sustained starter level.

Hopefully, Kyrie doesn't leave because I see a real drop off next season if he's gone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I would roll with Rozier and Smart, draft Markus Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
wanta Simba Kimba

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
IT only as a back up pg.
Rondo- no thank you.
Rozier- maybe on a one year deal.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Kyrie leaves, I would

(a) Not re-sign / match on Rozier unless it's a very tradeable deal.

(b) Look at options with the Full MLE, e.g. Darren Collison

(c) Move forward with Smart as the starting point guard at least for the short term.

If Kyrie leaves the team's not going to immediately replace him with an All-Star starting point guard.  That being the case, there's no sense in overpaying with trade assets or $$ to fill the sudden hole at PG.

IT could be a nice story.  I have no interest in Rondo.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
There are good point guards available for less than Rozier

Rondo wasn't interested in playing with Stevens

Wouldn't it be better, perhaps, to get a non shoot first PG and use our great shooters to do what they're supposed to do and score?

You could start Smart, but, Ainge can do better.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The only sure yes here is Smart.

Rozier. I guess. If there’s nothing better. But man am I hoping somebody better is available.

IT is conceivable on a vet min, or possibly a vet min with incentive clauses, but I would not expect much. I will be pleasantly surprised if he’s able to be a bench scorer in the NBA. I worry a little, also, about his mindset. I get that his confidence made him great, but is it also a problem if he can’t accept that his game has declined?  There were some reports that he didn’t gel with the players in Cleveland and LA.

Rondo is a hard, hard no.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't really want to think about this. Unless Kyrie AND Al leave, we won't have any money to sign a reputable replacement. Not only are we well over the salary cap, but we are into luxury tax territory now.

If this were to happen, I assume we would build around Tatum and Brown (maybe Smart and Timelord, depending on his progression), try to consolidate our picks for another mid-lottery pick, and try not to be too veteran heavy. Al can stick around if he would like (he has an option) and Gordo doesn't really have a choice. Both are good veteran players who play well within a Stevens system, but they could also be traded for additional youth help. We wouldn't be tanking so their presence wouldn't really 'hurt' us.

Basically what I am saying is that if we lose our best player and try to replace him with a vet min/tax payer MLE type, we will not be better than we are now. It would be best to plan for the future at that point - even if it is the near future.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Middleton for sure

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Let Rozier walk, don't sign any of those stiffs unless Kemba wants to come here.

I think we run Smart/Hayward with Hayward acting as the point forward, similar to a simmons role. I think Hayward is our best facilitator anyway, might as well let him role with it.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
It is interesting how down on Rondo everyone seems to be.  Anthony Davis' most successful playoff run was with Rondo.  Chicago would have taken us down 2 years ago if Rondo remained healthy.  I understand why Rondo does not mesh with LBJ, considering they are both ball dominant and Rondo is not a confident shooter.  However, as another poster mentioned, there could be some value in replacing Kyrie with a pass-first PG who knows how to run a team.  There are not many of those types of PGs left, but we need to allow our wings to control the scoring if they are ever going to reach their potential.

Fire away at my logic - happy to hear more thoughts!