Author Topic: Jayson tatum slander all over media  (Read 19801 times)

Re: Jayson tatum slander all over media
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2024, 09:53:24 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Season MVP: SGA

Finals MVP: Jayson Tatum

8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2024, 11:32:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
Bottom line is that until Tatum plays great (not every single game, but most) throughout a playoff run that ends with a title, his status among the best players will be questioned and rightfully so. It doesn't mean he is not very good, just that he is not an elite player, which he claims to be. Gotta prove it.

Amen, brother.

Taking this to its logical conclusion makes the argument that guys like Barkley, Balyor, Gervin, Malone, Stockton, Maravich &c. were not elite players, which is a pretty bold stance.

I do not put those players you listed in the same category as their contemporaries who won titles, Bird, Magic, Jabbar, Havlicek, Cowens, Jordan, Isiah, Olajuwon, Moses. Only player I would call absolutely elite who had multiple failures until finally breaking through late is Jerry West.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2024, 05:03:21 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 371
but if the standard is playoff performance then why do we put Luka and Embiid there? both haven't even gotten as far as tatum has.

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2024, 05:25:58 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544
Bottom line is that until Tatum plays great (not every single game, but most) throughout a playoff run that ends with a title, his status among the best players will be questioned and rightfully so. It doesn't mean he is not very good, just that he is not an elite player, which he claims to be. Gotta prove it.

Amen, brother.

Taking this to its logical conclusion makes the argument that guys like Barkley, Balyor, Gervin, Malone, Stockton, Maravich &c. were not elite players, which is a pretty bold stance.

I do not put those players you listed in the same category as their contemporaries who won titles, Bird, Magic, Jabbar, Havlicek, Cowens, Jordan, Isiah, Olajuwon, Moses. Only player I would call absolutely elite who had multiple failures until finally breaking through late is Jerry West.

Oscar Robertson was 32 (and with Kareem) when he won his only championship.

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2024, 09:06:27 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

Amen, brother.

The ‘problematic list of necessary exclusions’ gets significantly longer if we include guys like this in the conversation - most notably for the forum, perhaps, is that KG fits this to a T.

But, in general, I think Tenn is more correct (even though I disagree) when it comes to retired players or players who are soon to be retired: guys we can can assess in total. I don’t think we should apply the same criteria for younger, active players..
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2024, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 551
The thing about Tatum is he's pretty much right on that line between "player who's an MVP and good enough to be a #1 on a finals team" and a step below that. And the issue is THAT LINE IS VITAL. So people who think he's above that line will think he's being slandered, and people who think he's right below that line will think he's overrated. The truth is probably that we just don't know yet what side of the lien he will peak at, teh fact thats its a vital question is what leads to so much Tatum talk.

All you can really say is....we'll find out.

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2024, 04:48:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
The thing about Tatum is he's pretty much right on that line between "player who's an MVP and good enough to be a #1 on a finals team" and a step below that. And the issue is THAT LINE IS VITAL. So people who think he's above that line will think he's being slandered, and people who think he's right below that line will think he's overrated. The truth is probably that we just don't know yet what side of the lien he will peak at, teh fact thats its a vital question is what leads to so much Tatum talk.

Right now, what I think you can say for sure about Tatum is that he is destined to be a multi-season 1st team all NBA.  This season's first team is likely:

SGA
Doncic
Tatum
Giannis
Jokic

I think it is fair to say that Tatum is not the least valuable of these 5 and not the most valuable (at least this season).  So he is somewhere between 2-4 in terms of best player or MVP.  That is really good.  He has had a lot more team and playoff success than Doncic or SGA, but Giannis and Jokic have titles (and also a lot of team success).

That is just based on this season though.  If you start talking about comparing him to all time greats, he just isn't there yet.  Michael Jordan won his first MVP at age 24 but his first title at 28.  It will be years before you can start to assess where Tatum is on all time lists, but I think he will climb his way up over time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:04:30 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2024, 03:55:05 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Amen, brother.

I stand corrected regarding Oscar Robertson and Kevin Garnett.

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2024, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Right now, what I think you can say for sure about Tatum is that he is destined to be a multi-season 1st team all NBA.  This season's first team is likely:

SGA
Doncic
Tatum
Giannis
Jokic

I think it is fair to say that Tatum is not the least valuable of these 5 and not the most valuable (at least this season).  So he is somewhere between 2-4 in terms of best player or MVP.  That is really good.  He has had a lot more team and playoff success than Doncic or SGA, but Giannis and Jokic have titles (and also a lot of team success).

That is just based on this season though.  If you start talking about comparing him to all time greats, he just isn't there yet.  Michael Jordan won his first MVP at age 24 but his first title at 28.  It will be years before you can start to assess where Tatum is on all time lists, but I think he will climb his way up over time.

I think he probably is the least valuable of those 5, based on performance this regular season. I also don't think first team all-nba is a lock for him this year. He'll probably make it due to tam successes, but you could ague for KD or even Kawhi ahead of him.

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2024, 04:57:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
What is the slander?

I think I've heard pretty reasonable takes, such as "Tatum is very good, but he needs to step his game up to be great" and "he has to win a championship like Giannis and Jokic to be included with them".

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2024, 05:13:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

SGA
Doncic
Tatum
Giannis
Jokic

I think he probably is the least valuable of those 5, based on performance this regular season. I also don't think first team all-nba is a lock for him this year. He'll probably make it due to tam successes, but you could ague for KD or even Kawhi ahead of him.

That would be a fair enough debate, in particular Durant.  I think Tatum does end up on the 1st team and that he ends up in the 2-4 range of MVP voting.  I would be surprised if Durant got 1st team and/or finished higher in the MVP voting, and really surprised if Kawhi did, but they are both really good players too.

Hard to believe that Jokic wasn't first team last season, even though he was second in the MVP voting, but shows that it can happen even if you are a great player.  Embiid isn't in it so Jokic will get all the center votes this season.  Last season, Giannis got all 100 first place votes for 1 of the forward spots, so he is probably a lock.  Maybe the votes for the other forward spot start to divide up, I don't know.  But Tatum is slightly better this season over last in FG%, 3P%, and Assts.  He has fewer PPG but he is also taking fewer shots.  I find it hard to see him not getting 1st team.

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2024, 07:03:01 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
What is the slander?

I think I've heard pretty reasonable takes, such as "Tatum is very good, but he needs to step his game up to be great" and "he has to win a championship like Giannis and Jokic to be included with them".

Good point. Tatum does bring some of this on himself by proclaiming he is the best player in the NBA, by holding up fingers to show off his points total and generally, making comments that come off as defensive and insecure. Shut up and play and your reputation will take care of itself.

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2024, 01:15:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

SGA
Doncic
Tatum
Giannis
Jokic

That would be a fair enough debate, in particular Durant.  I think Tatum does end up on the 1st team and that he ends up in the 2-4 range of MVP voting.  I would be surprised if Durant got 1st team and/or finished higher in the MVP voting, and really surprised if Kawhi did, but they are both really good players too.

Hard to believe that Jokic wasn't first team last season, even though he was second in the MVP voting, but shows that it can happen even if you are a great player.  Embiid isn't in it so Jokic will get all the center votes this season.  Last season, Giannis got all 100 first place votes for 1 of the forward spots, so he is probably a lock.  Maybe the votes for the other forward spot start to divide up, I don't know.  But Tatum is slightly better this season over last in FG%, 3P%, and Assts.  He has fewer PPG but he is also taking fewer shots.  I find it hard to see him not getting 1st team.

To be clear, I also think he makes first team. The Celtics are going to finish like 8+ games ahead of everyone else and Tatum will play in like 77/82 games and put up great numbers and that will get him 1st team. He'll likely finish 5th (maybe 4th) in MVP voting behind Shai, Giannis, Jokic and maybe Luka becasue fair or not the team is awesome when he's out there, and almost as awesome when he's not. 

Some parts of Tatum are overrated: He's never been as good a scorer as people think, just not as efficient as the bets guys.
Some parts are underrated: The guy ABSOLUTELY shows up in big games. Ask Milwaukee or Phili.

Overall i think he's properly rated as the 6th to 8th best player in the NBA who finishes higher than that in MVP because he never misses games.

One last thing: There are no positions for all-nba this year.

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2024, 01:39:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
but if the standard is playoff performance then why do we put Luka and Embiid there? both haven't even gotten as far as tatum has.
I think this is the real question.

Weirdly, it hurts Tatum in the national discourse to have been on more accomplished teams.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2024, 08:06:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
To be clear, I also think he makes first team. The Celtics are going to finish like 8+ games ahead of everyone else and Tatum will play in like 77/82 games and put up great numbers and that will get him 1st team. He'll likely finish 5th (maybe 4th) in MVP voting behind Shai, Giannis, Jokic and maybe Luka becasue fair or not the team is awesome when he's out there, and almost as awesome when he's not. 

Some parts of Tatum are overrated: He's never been as good a scorer as people think, just not as efficient as the bets guys.
Some parts are underrated: The guy ABSOLUTELY shows up in big games. Ask Milwaukee or Phili.

Overall i think he's properly rated as the 6th to 8th best player in the NBA who finishes higher than that in MVP because he never misses games.

One last thing: There are no positions for all-nba this year.

I have been thinking about this and assessing my opinion based on all the responses.  In particular, the On-Off aspect of Tatum's production.  Tatum happens to play on a really good team.  When he is on the court, they are the best team by a fair margin, when he is not on the court, they are still a very good team.  Other teams like DAL, MIL, OKC drop off more when Luka, Giannis, or Shai are not on the court.  Is that because of the individual players or the rest of the team?  The answer is both of course.   I don't think it is something that is easily quantified.  Should Tatum be "punished" or viewed as less valuable because the rest of his team is much better than the rest of the team of these other stars? 

I concede is it a factor, but I don't think it is a deciding factor.  If Tatum was on a worse team, like last season and other seasons, than his On-Off would be more in line.  The On Off is more about who replaces Tatum when he is not on the court relative to who replaces Shai (for example) than it is about Tatum relative to Shai.  Or at least it is about both.

As to Tatum's scoring, I think he would score more points if he wanted to or needed to.  His scoring efficiency is quantifiable so I can't dispute that he is a less efficient score than Shai (for example) and that is a factor that should be considered in the overall MVP or All NBA consideration.  But there are a lot of factors that need to be considered and everyone considers them differently (part of the problem with the whole concept of MVP).