Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 89614 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 02:36:43 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
 :police:
Team Rosters through 3 rounds:

Dallas: Lebron, Ray Allen, Doncic
Toronto:  KG, David Robinson, Vince Carter
Utah:  Shaq, J Kidd, Peja
Denver: Duncan, Payton, Draymond
LAC: Steph Curry, Grant Hill, Elton Brand
Philly: Kawhi, Klay, Chauncey
Boston: Durant, Nash, Pau Gasol
Milwaukee: Giannis, Alonzo Mourning, Karl Malone
LAL:  Kobe, Webber, Lilliard
Houston: D Wade, Harden, Amare
Indiana:  Dirk, Embiid, Tony Parker
OKC: Pierce, Paul George, Ben Wallace
Miami: CP3, Dwight, Jimmy Butler
Brooklyn: T-Mac, Ant Davis, Shawn Marion

I couldn't commit to this, but my favorite teams so far are bolded.  Couple other good looking teams that aren't bolded too.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
 How's my team look?

SG: '01-'02 Paul Pierce
SF: '18-'19 Paul George
PF: '15-'16 LaMarcus Aldridge
C : '03-'04 Ben Wallace

Years are still preliminary, but that's where I want to go for now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How's my team look?

I don’t have an issue with the fit of the players. They work together well.  I’d probably use Paul at SF and George at SG, but that’s a quibble.

But, we’ve all heard this one before:  championship teams need an MVP-level talent with few exceptions.  Your team has perhaps three guys who were top-10 in their eras, but not the super-duper star.  Does that critique stand up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How's my team look?

I don’t have an issue with the fit of the players. They work together well.  I’d probably use Paul at SF and George at SG, but that’s a quibble.

But, we’ve all heard this one before:  championship teams need an MVP-level talent with few exceptions.  Your team has perhaps three guys who were top-10 in their eras, but not the super-duper star.  Does that critique stand up?

Yes it does. I don't know if the "Paul George ranked 3rd in MVP voting" argument will hold water, but that's as far as I can go with MVP level talent.

I guess I'll have to make sure I get more talented players in the remaining rounds to get at least some help.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 03:12:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How's my team look?

Yes it does. I don't know if the "Paul George ranked 3rd in MVP voting" argument will hold water, but that's as far as I can go with MVP level talent.

I guess I'll have to make sure I get more talented players in the remaining rounds to get at least some help.
Well, there are some MVPs that play the position you haven't filled yet. One might fit pretty decently on your team.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How's my team look?

Well, there are some MVPs that play the position you haven't filled yet. One might fit pretty decently on your team.

Ha.   I just PM’d Yoki the same thing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 03:20:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How's my team look?

A bit concerned about the lack of (high level) passing from the big men. Will that make the offense too much one-on-one? Is there extra pressure on the PG selection because of this? What is the right type of PG for this team?

Those are the first things that pop out at me. I am not sure what the answers are. They are more questions I am asking myself.

To me your team is still taking shape. Some teams have a lot of clarity in terms of style and identity. I think your team could go in quite a few different directions (identity wise) depending on your PG and main bench players. It's hard to drill down on this group too much without that clarity (you know, how they function together) - because the PG is so important here.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:27:47 PM by Who »

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How's my team look?

You really should consider going with '07-08 Pierce (he did actually win a Finals MVP afterall).  That version of Pierce was able to go head to head with both LeBron and Kobe and come out on top, and probably could have done so against any version of either (doesn't mean he would but it does mean he could).  That wasn't his physical peak, and wasn't his best raw statistical year, but it was the most complete version of Pierce while he was still in his prime.

IDK what year of Paul George fits best with that version of Pierce, but that year for Pierce is your best bet to get an actual MVP-level performance from your current roster (IMO).

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm gonna rate the Utah Jazz team. Not only because I think the team is really good, but also because the structure is remarkably similar to my team (Denver Nuggets). Great minds do think alike, after all. We both have an all-time great big men (Shaq, Duncan), a great all-around PG who plays great defense (Kidd, Payton), another great defensive piece who acts as a jack-of-all-trades on offense (Al, Draymond), and an awesome offensive wing who can create their own shot (Peja, Melo).

The final piece to your starting lineup IMO would be a great 3-and-D wing. A guy who can take the pressure off of Peja on D, which helping Peja space the floor for Shaq.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton
SG: ??
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 03:47:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!

Young Melo would be so good on this team

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I was surprised by the Melo pickup. Not in a bad way. Just surprised. He is quite different to the other players on your team. Defense first guys with well rounded games. Team first all the way. Melo more focused on himself. That can be a good thing. Have a bit of selfishness in the group (Durant gives me some of that if my other guys are over-passing).

I am less clear on your team after Melo joining. I had a picture of how Timmy, Payton and Draymond would play together. Melo plays differently to the picture in my head. He doesn't share the ball as much as the others. He is more direct in his attacks. Like I said - not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

I am looking forward to seeing how you round your starting lineup. I don't know what is needed to round out the group (besides outside shooting). I can't picture it yet.

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I like this team a lot.  I think Melo will mesh just fine with that group. 

Find yourself a sharpshooter.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Nuggets team is quite different that what I would have done with Tim Duncan. I view Duncan (after KG) as the ideal defensive anchor, rebounder and team offense facilitator in the draft - a guy who can control and dominate a game without needing to score big to do so. So, I would have been looking for Duncan to only score a moderate amount while surrounding him guys who can shoot & score. Let him set the table for everyone else. 

That is one of the things that interests me the most about this team because they went in a different direction with Draymond Green and Gary Payton. Two DPoYs to crank up the D to insane levels. Two guys who also do a lot to set the table for their teammates. Doubling down on the same qualities that makes them each so special.

It's a really cool team that is being built here. I'd love to watch those three guys play together. And I was a huge Melo fan when he was younger so that doesn't hurt either.

One of my favourites along with Toronto who share some similar qualities with KG and D-Robinson leading the way.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I was surprised by the Melo pickup. Not in a bad way. Just surprised. He is quite different to the other players on your team. Defense first guys with well rounded games. Team first all the way. Melo more focused on himself. That can be a good thing. Have a bit of selfishness in the group (Durant gives me some of that if my other guys are over-passing).

I am less clear on your team after Melo joining. I had a picture of how Timmy, Payton and Draymond would play together. Melo plays differently to the picture in my head. He doesn't share the ball as much as the others. He is more direct in his attacks. Like I said - not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

I am looking forward to seeing how you round your starting lineup. I don't know what is needed to round out the group (besides outside shooting). I can't picture it yet.
Yeah, Melo is definitely different from the other guys on my team. However, I think that's why he's gonna fit well. He doesn't have other similar player stepping on his toes. He has room to be the clear first option from the perimeter. In the NBA, Melo worked best with defense-first, unselfish guys like Kidd and Billups. Plus, he was easily the best scorer left on the board, I felt value and fits aligned quite well.