Author Topic: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: Draft over. Playoffs coming soon!  (Read 192670 times)

Re: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: NOW OPEN!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 12:15:48 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This is a problem. . .

I picked 12, but I only have 7 names on my board that I can consider "this guy can win the league" guys.

I might be done before we start. LOL.
Lol really? I have 12 players who're in that category by my valuations, you'll be fine :laugh:
For me, I do think it starts getting murkier once you get out of the top 10. It'll be interesting to see how creative the guys in the 12-14th picks will be in their selection.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 02:13:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many of you decide to draft the core members of championship teams from the period. Like, I am sure, depending on how things shake out that some could get the 4 best players of a San Antonio championship team, a Miami championship team, a Lakers championship team or even a Boston or Detroit one.

Could be an interesting way to play the game.

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 03:43:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I wonder how many of you decide to draft the core members of championship teams from the period. Like, I am sure, depending on how things shake out that some could get the 4 best players of a San Antonio championship team, a Miami championship team, a Lakers championship team or even a Boston or Detroit one.

Could be an interesting way to play the game.
Playing on a winning team doesn't affect my selections as much as playing basketball that's conducive to winning, but yeah that'd be interesting to see.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 05:43:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
With a lesser talent pool, I think reaches will be more acceptable early on, compared to the historical draft last year.
To be fair reaches are highly subjective. For example I thought that picking Moses Malone in the 2nd round (top 24 pick) was a slight reach but a lot of people thought otherwise, it just varies from person to person. But yeah I think there will be more "reach picks" for everyone in this draft (the differing criterias participants use will probably lead to disagreement over some picks).

Moses isn't eligible in this draft so I thought it'd be okay for me to mention him as an example, I'll delete the post if it isn't though.
Yeah, plus I feel the fact that lots of these players are so fresh in most of our memories there'll be a few binkies picked (of which I am almost certainly to be guilty of). Fun times!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 06:06:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
With a lesser talent pool, I think reaches will be more acceptable early on, compared to the historical draft last year.
To be fair reaches are highly subjective. For example I thought that picking Moses Malone in the 2nd round (top 24 pick) was a slight reach but a lot of people thought otherwise, it just varies from person to person. But yeah I think there will be more "reach picks" for everyone in this draft (the differing criterias participants use will probably lead to disagreement over some picks).

Moses isn't eligible in this draft so I thought it'd be okay for me to mention him as an example, I'll delete the post if it isn't though.
Yeah, plus I feel the fact that lots of these players are so fresh in most of our memories there'll be a few binkies picked (of which I am almost certainly to be guilty of). Fun times!
Heh wait until you see who I pick at #2 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 07:16:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
My reading of the first round is that there are 4 top players at the top of the draft (the GOATs of the 21st Century), then a mid tier of probably 7 players and then things even out for a while (to early 3rd round? maybe).

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
13th pick (and 16th overall if I read the rules correctly) for me. Not complaining, but that means that I probably have to make a strategy right away instead of going BPA. I'm happy that we start with one round a day.

Maybe some players at the top of the draft get the exact guy they want and then get bored the following days, because they have their strategy all laid out for themselves  ;D  .

Or maybe they have a head start and keep on planning and know which players I'm going to take before I do...

Yeah, that happened me last year (with Wilt). Regretted not taking the more fun option.

Think I'll try to avoid restricting players this time round (paint only players or too ball dominant players). Leaves more options in team building in later rounds. More fun team styles to ponder on.

We'll see how that goes though :laugh:

Hard to pass on a great player when they are right there for the taking!

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 07:26:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
My reading of the first round is that there are 4 top players at the top of the draft (the GOATs of the 21st Century), then a mid tier of probably 7 players and then things even out for a while (to early 3rd round? maybe).
It's 5 for me :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
13th pick (and 16th overall if I read the rules correctly) for me. Not complaining, but that means that I probably have to make a strategy right away instead of going BPA. I'm happy that we start with one round a day.

Maybe some players at the top of the draft get the exact guy they want and then get bored the following days, because they have their strategy all laid out for themselves  ;D  .

Or maybe they have a head start and keep on planning and know which players I'm going to take before I do...

Yeah, that happened me last year (with Wilt). Regretted not taking the more fun option.

Think I'll try to avoid restricting players this time round (paint only players or too ball dominant players). Leaves more options in team building in later rounds. More fun team styles to ponder on.

We'll see how that goes though :laugh:

Hard to pass on a great player when they are right there for the taking!
Looks like we'll be fighting for those players then :laugh:, I've been looking at my options in the latter rounds to pair with the guy I'm likely picking at #2.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2020, 07:45:17 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: Woj
The Mavs are entertaining offers for the #1 pick. Not the most likely scenario that they'll move the pick, but they are open to the idea, league sources tell ESPN.

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Ha, I have it as 5 too, but the next 2 behind those 5 are the smallest of gaps behind them.

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2020, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Ha, I have it as 5 too, but the next 2 behind those 5 are the smallest of gaps behind them.
Hm I'm not sure about that, I think the next two lack the two way impact to make up for their elite but not transcendent offence if we're thinking of the same guys. But yeah it's a really deep draft, almost every team will have a decent centrepiece at the very least.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2020, 09:01:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Hm I'm not sure about that, I think the next two lack the two way impact to make up for their elite but not transcendent offence if we're thinking of the same guys. But yeah it's a really deep draft, almost every team will have a decent centrepiece at the very least.
Yeah, that's the only real gap (but there's some darn good defenders to hide 'em with!)

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, that's the only real gap (but there's some darn good defenders to hide 'em with!)
Oh for sure lol, and if we're on the same wavelength one of the five needs those good defenders as well :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This is a problem. . .

I picked 12, but I only have 7 names on my board that I can consider "this guy can win the league" guys.

I might be done before we start. LOL.
Lol really? I have 12 players who're in that category by my valuations, you'll be fine :laugh:

I mean, there are top talent, but it's going to take great selections in the lower rounds to surround them with. Where as the seven guys on my board, I think could do well with just about anybody, and just being on that team alone, boosts the chances.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace