Author Topic: The 2020 Historical Draft - 2000's edition. Nothing else to do? Join up!!  (Read 25686 times)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think we should be allowed to use full "book-end" seasons.
That's fine, I'll probably just lean on skillset analysis more heavily when evaluating players in the 19-20 season.
Yeah, I feel like that's probably the way to go. Still have 60-65 games of numbers and play to display, just no accolades besides All-Star appearances and player of the month / week
I was more concerned about the absence of a playoff sample, I wanted to see how certain players perform in a playoff setting. Awards are unreliable in player evaluation as always :laugh:
Yeah, very true. Would’ve been interesting to see guys like Doncic as a #1 option in the playoffs, but ah well!
Absolutely, what I wanted to see was whether Kawhi's improved passing would make him a Kobe-esque entity in playoff offences, and whether the Rockets' microball would work.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Using this year for players would be interesting. For me, I put a bunch of stock into playoffs and finals performances, so any player picked for this year would be an uphill battle.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Using this year for players would be interesting. For me, I put a bunch of stock into playoffs and finals performances, so any player picked for this year would be an uphill battle.
Oh, I don't know that. I think an argument could be made that this year's version of Tatum, Siakam, Giannis, and Doncic, for instance, are the best version's of each player and would make excellent additions to any team, regardless as to whether they played a full season and post season or not.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Not sure if I'm allowed to talk about this (I'm not disclosing any names but I'm still talking about the players available in this draft), but this draft is ridiculously deep lol, by my valuations there are likely 20-25 guys (possibly more!) with MVP-worthy peaks in the available 21 seasons.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not sure if I'm allowed to talk about this (I'm not disclosing any names but I'm still talking about the players available in this draft), but this draft is ridiculously deep lol, by my valuations there are likely 20-25 guys (possibly more!) with MVP-worthy peaks in the available 21 seasons.
For sure. I have a list of guys I’m interested in (so far only have the top 12 ordered - got my work cut out for me) that is just enormous. So many guys with huge years here and there. Some real gems I forgot about from the early 2000’s
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
For sure. I have a list of guys I’m interested in (so far only have the top 12 ordered - got my work cut out for me) that is just enormous. So many guys with huge years here and there. Some real gems I forgot about from the early 2000’s
Top 15 for me, I'll order the rest after the first round. Fit + skillset >>> "raw talent" imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Top 15 for me, I'll order the rest after the first round. Fit + skillset >>> "raw talent" imo.
Yeah, for sure. There are a few certain guys who simply could not fit alongside one another. I think we're sitting at 11 currently, so 1 more (ideally) and we should be good
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, for sure. There are a few certain guys who simply could not fit alongside one another. I think we're sitting at 11 currently, so 1 more (ideally) and we should be good
Yeah, 1 more and we're good to go. Also ditto regarding the gems from the early 2000s, I sent my draft board for the 1st round to Nick already and I've slotted in a gem or two from that time period into it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:20:47 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Guys. We are still over a week away. I got stuff doing this week.

I will say, if no one else joins, I would be willing to draft a team but, due to being the commish, am not crazy about the idea due to conflict of interest issues. Maybe if I draft last and make no trades, that mitigates some of the conflicts a bit, but it still means I see people draftboards if they have to send in lists to me, which I think makes it a no go.

Anyway, just a thought.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I will say, if no one else joins, I would be willing to draft a team but, due to being the commish, am not crazy about the idea due to conflict of interest issues. Maybe if I draft last and make no trades, that mitigates some of the conflicts a bit, but it still means I see people draftboards if they have to send in lists to me, which I think makes it a no go.

Anyway, just a thought.
We're aware of that haha, we were just getting excited about the talent pool in this fantasy draft. And I'm fine with "only" 11 participants, it's more than enough for a 13 round draft.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Anyway, just a thought.
nick, perhaps for your draft picks, assign a "team" (3-5 owners) to each spot to choose for you. you would have multiple teams picking multiple times. maybe 2-3 slots per team?

Also, any trades you wish to make would be vetted and approved by a majority vote of other owners.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
What time of day was decide on?

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
23rd March.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
23rd March.
I meant morning, afternoon or night? 

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
A start time hasn't been decided upon yet. Hoping we get more people that would then give us more time preferences to look at.

Given the wide swath of preferences, I was thinking maybe a late morning start time that goes into the early afternoon.

Maybe try for a 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00AM EST start time that would push the game until like 1:00-2:00 PM

Opinions on that?