Author Topic: Exum "Most teams looking at me are trying to look at a two point guard set-up"  (Read 5754 times)

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
You can't have a 2 point guard lineup if NEITHER can shoot.
True. I am a bit surprised that the enthusiasm here is not tempered by rondo limited shooting ability. When he doesn't have the ball his ability to score drops dramatically. Tis needs to be accounted for in this supposed line up I think.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You'd obviously hope that one of them would become a better 3 point shooter, but Rondo shoots well enough to become a devastating pick and roll guard- he's just never really played with anyone other than KG who can play it well enough.

The idea of a two point guard set up is to attack the rim relentlessly and break down perimeter defenses with ball movement.
Wade and Lebron have built a dynasty around this, and neither of them are the best shooters- they are just surrounded by excellent shooters.

I also liked the idea of Rondo and Marcus Smart as a twin PG combo, but Smart is much shorter than first thought. (Was supposedly 6 '4" and measured at 6'2" yesterday).

Smart and Exum could be nasty too if Danny wants to move Rondo on :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
You'd obviously hope that one of them would become a better 3 point shooter, but Rondo shoots well enough to become a devastating pick and roll guard- he's just never really played with anyone other than KG who can play it well enough.

The idea of a two point guard set up is to attack the rim relentlessly and break down perimeter defenses with ball movement.
Wade and Lebron have built a dynasty around this, and neither of them are the best shooters- they are just surrounded by excellent shooters.

I also liked the idea of Rondo and Marcus Smart as a twin PG combo, but Smart is much shorter than first thought. (Was supposedly 6 '4" and measured at 6'2" yesterday).

Rondo shot 28.9% on three pointers last season. UP from his career average of 25.2%.

I am sorry, you may be right but I don't see rondo being a good shooter except in very limited situations that have no defenseman contesting his shot.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Rondo shot 28.9% on three pointers last season. UP from his career average of 25.2%.

I am sorry, you may be right but I don't see rondo being a good shooter except in very limited situations that have no defenseman contesting his shot.

My bad, i didn't detail... I meant running the pick and roll as a spot up jump shooter- attacking the rim when his defender overhelps on the rolle or drop under the screen from 10-15 feet. He'll always be a tuuurrrible 3 point shooter unfortunately.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.