Author Topic: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M  (Read 31036 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown was offered 4 years $80M
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2019, 07:30:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ainge said negotiations are going well, that he’s made 4 offers, and that the 4/20 report was inaccurate. Per Toucher and Ross

If he went out of the way to say it was inaccurate, it means that 4/20 feels like a slight to Brown and might affect his feeling toward the organization.

Interesting that he talked in that level of detail.  Normally we don’t hear so much about contract negotiations, other than “we love Player X.”  I don’t know how to interpret that, but my gut feels they’re pretty close to working something out.

« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Buddy Hield apparently just got offered $90m/4yrs for comparison.
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.
I meant Hield is worth more than Brown.

True.

Hield averaged 20.7 points per game last season.

Jaylen has never averaged more than 14.5 points per game his career.
That's why I don't think he's a max player.

I wanted Buddy Hield back in that 2016 draft

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

When Brown finishes his next contract, he will be as old as Hield is now right now.  Just some perspective.

EDIT: My math is off by a year, because Brown’s new contract wouldn’t start until next year.  But the point remains — Hield is four years older than Brown, and is turning 27 in two months.  He’s 6 months older than Bradley Beal.  He’s a good enough player, but he should be better than Brown today, but probably won’t be over the life of their respective future contracts.

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2019, 11:02:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Hield is worth more

Hield wants 110m.

True.

When Brown finishes his next contract, he will be as old as Hield is now right now.  Just some perspective.

But, but, but, the only number that matters is PPG

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2019, 12:28:35 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
when people take into account PPG, how often do they account for all the talent on the team, guys who deserve shots and average a lot? For instance, Heild, how many AS players did he have to take a backseat to? Kyrie avg around 25pts, Tatum 16pts, Al around 15pts, Hayward another 14, Smart about 10, and Morris about 15 (numbers probably off but not by much). How did Heild's teammate's shots and points measure up to Brown's teammates? I highly doubt his team had as many mouths to feed. Could JB score 20pts on a less talented team? We don't know atm but I don't doubt it.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2019, 01:14:56 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
when people take into account PPG, how often do they account for all the talent on the team, guys who deserve shots and average a lot? For instance, Heild, how many AS players did he have to take a backseat to? Kyrie avg around 25pts, Tatum 16pts, Al around 15pts, Hayward another 14, Smart about 10, and Morris about 15 (numbers probably off but not by much). How did Heild's teammate's shots and points measure up to Brown's teammates? I highly doubt his team had as many mouths to feed. Could JB score 20pts on a less talented team? We don't know atm but I don't doubt it.

I think Brown's offensive game is very similar to that of a young Andre Iguodala - strong, athletic, good size, strong finisher, capable but not standout shooter and not really a natural scorer.

if you look at Iggy's career he had long stretches of time where he was forced to be the #1 guy on some not-overly-strong Philly teams, and yet he only averaged 19 PPG once, and only averaged > 18 PPG 3 times.  Most of his career his ability was more like that of a 14 - 15 PPG guy, and i think you could say more or less the same for Jaylen Brown.

I think on a lottery team or highly defensive oriented team with very few scorers, Brown could peak at around the 19 PPG - 20 PPG mark with forced high usage.

If you are talking about a competitive playoff team with decent scoring depth, then I think he's more like a 16.5 PPG - 17.5 PPG guy.  At least with his current play style anyway - of course players can change, and he could be a dramatically different player 2 or 3 years from now, though I don't expect that to be the case.   

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
For sure, but only a fool would lowball a young player who's part of the team's young core by 25-35% in an initial offer.

Let me, remind you that it was Danny Ainge, a shrewd GM who reportedly offered him that.   I think that ought to speak volumes about how far off in terms of your argument.  If you overpay on a guy who averages 11 PPG, 4 RPG and 1.3 APG and a 13 PER for his career, your team is not going to be doing well in the future. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Yes, I know he came off the bench but he still has averaged  24.4 MPG

Even Bob Ryan, stated that Brown is not a max player in the CLNS podcast.

I like Brown but we can't overpay him or mediocrity is in our future.  I hope he gains consistency this year, and proves he belongs here.

Here are some numbers for Oladipo's third season, the offseason after which he signed his deal:

Here's Jaylen:

One again using projections of minutes not earned or played and PER 36 is farcical.  Jaylen is only playing 25.9 minutes in his third year and Victor was playing 33.   PER 36 does not takes into account fatigue, and fouls etc.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oladivi01.html

It is hard to argue logic with blatant homerism.

« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Hield would be a better fit on this team than Jaylen. A true SG. Give the team some balance away from the 3 SFs. Hield a true shooter and premier perimeter shot maker.

I would be happy to make that trade.

« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The Kings would be happy to make that trade too, which tells you something about our evaluation of player value.

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
For sure, but only a fool would lowball a young player who's part of the team's young core by 25-35% in an initial offer.

Let me, remind you that it was Danny Ainge, a shrewd GM who reportedly offered him that.   I think that ought to speak volumes about how far off in terms of your argument.  If you overpay on a guy who averages 11 PPG, 4 RPG and 1.3 APG and a 13 PER for his career, your team is not going to be doing well in the future. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Yes, I know he came off the bench but he still has averaged  24.4 MPG

Even Bob Ryan, stated that Brown is not a max player in the CLNS podcast.

I like Brown but we can't overpay him or mediocrity is in our future.  I hope he gains consistency this year, and proves he belongs here.

Here are some numbers for Oladipo's third season, the offseason after which he signed his deal:

Here's Jaylen:

One again using projections of minutes not earned or played and PER 36 is farcical.  Jaylen is only playing 25.9 minutes in his third year and Victor was playing 33.   PER 36 does not takes into account fatigue, and fouls etc.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oladivi01.html

It is hard to argue logic with blatant homerism.
Let me tell you that the shrewd GM Danny Ainge came out and denied the 80M/4 years report: https://sports.yahoo.com/danny-ainge-clarifies-not-accurate-132921485.html. He clarified that they have made numerous offers and that negotiations were going well, which likely means that the actual amount of money being discussed should be more than 80M for 4 years (it could be less, but I don't see Brown being willing to negotiate with Ainge if the Celtics' actual offers were even lower). 24-27M depending on how the cap is affected by the China issue is quite fair for Brown, it's lower than the max by a bit but is still very lucrative for him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Wyc will never agree to any deal with Jaylen that takes him into luxury tax unless he is confident that the team as constructed is championship caliber. 

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Wyc will never agree to any deal with Jaylen that takes him into luxury tax unless he is confident that the team as constructed is championship caliber.

That’s fine and dandy, but the Celtics can give Jaylen the max and still avoid luxury tax next year, so it’s pretty moot.

« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Shams had a note in an Athletic column. 

"As far as Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown and his extension talks are going, there’s one thing to keep in mind: several teams are monitoring how those discussions go, and whether they can make Boston and GM Danny Ainge pay with an offer sheet next summer, according to sources."

https://theathletic.com/1302622/2019/10/18/charanias-inside-pass-rookie-scale-contract-extensions-the-china-impact-and-more-notes-from-around-the-nba/

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That’s fine and dandy, but the Celtics can give Jaylen the max and still avoid luxury tax next year, so it’s pretty moot.
I keep saying the same thing salty and people just won't listen. And if Brown puts the team in the luxury tax, like last year, it would be an inconsequential amount.