Author Topic: Is Kanter going to be a problem ?  (Read 5593 times)

Re: Is Kanter going to be a problem ?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We're coming back once again to the same basic issue:  The Celtics do not have a good option for a starting center.  If you start Theis and he can't contain Giannis/Embiid, what do you do?  R. Williams seems too green.  Poirier is a 3rd stringer (IMO).

So, despite the reports, I would start Kanter so that at least you get some offensive prowess out of the starting role.  Remember, teams will slack off him to cover the other 4 starters.

The good news is that this problem should only derail the Celtics against truly elite competition (Philly and Milwaukee).  In theory, the Celtics will present enough match up problems in other areas to compensate for the lack of a consistent starting Center.   

Stevens and Ainge have some time to get this thing figured out, whether it's development from RWIII and/or a trade for another Center.  Ideally, it would be nice if RWIII and Kanter could play together in short stretches against Philly.  Wishful thinking on my part but maybe it will work out.     

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We're coming back once again to the same basic issue:  The Celtics do not have a good option for a starting center.  If you start Theis and he can't contain Giannis/Embiid, what do you do?  R. Williams seems too green.  Poirier is a 3rd stringer (IMO).

So, despite the reports, I would start Kanter so that at least you get some offensive prowess out of the starting role.  Remember, teams will slack off him to cover the other 4 starters.

The good news is that this problem should only derail the Celtics against truly elite competition (Philly and Milwaukee).  In theory, the Celtics will present enough match up problems in other areas to compensate for the lack of a consistent starting Center.   

Stevens and Ainge have some time to get this thing figured out, whether it's development from RWIII and/or a trade for another Center.  Ideally, it would be nice if RWIII and Kanter could play together in short stretches against Philly.  Wishful thinking on my part but maybe it will work out.     

The Raptors contained Giannis through sound team defensive principals.  As long as we have those, we will be fine.  I like Brad's plan with our current roster.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think you forget the small detail called Kawhi.

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I think you forget the small detail called Kawhi.

Exactly. 

Giannis Points Per 100 by Defender (min. 100 matchups):
1. Kawhi Leonard ... 15.9
2. Blake Griffin ........ 31.2
3. Marvin Williams .. 31.7
4. Pascal Siakam ... 33.2
5. Noah Vonleh ...... 36.3
6. Thad Young ....... 37.1
7. Al Horford .......... 40.6
8. Joel Embiid ....... 51.0

Individual defensive stats can be misleading but Kawhi was an absolute game changer when it came to defending Giannis. 

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
His bad defense is down to a lack of work ethic on his part. He has some limitations physically but he has enough physical tools to be a capable defender. What he doesn't have is defensive fundamentals. An understanding of how to position himself off the ball. To be in proper position for help defense actions. What he doesn't have is a level of focus and desire to read the game on defense to try and see what is coming.

It is laziness. It is laziness on the court during games (focus, reading offensive actions) and more importantly laziness when it comes to his own personal development (in terms of learning basic positioning) for the duration of his entire career.

That is why I have never been confident in his ability to overcome to his defensive issues because he has enough tools to be useful on defense but he has never shown the work ethic necessary to use those effectively. He'll flash some positives for a few weeks and con you into believing he is maturing but then he'll fall back into old ways once again. Lazy is lazy. Kanter is lazy.

If lazy play is a problem at this stage of his NBA career and the reason for his reputation of playing poor defense, then he and the Celtic have a major problem. it then becomes a serious character issue.

I just think he's a poor decision maker on D. He simply sucks defensively.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 10:48:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As long as the team is winning and being successful AND Kanter is getting his 20-24 minutes a game, I don't think he is going to care whether he comes off the bench or starts.

But, if the team isn't playing well over the first couple months, and Kanter, in his mind is playing well, but either not starting or not getting enough minutes, then yeah, I think he could go all David Lee on this team. But by then he will be trade eligible so Danny will just move him.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
As other have pointed out, he hasn't been a full-time starter most of his career so it seems unlikely to matter now.

I would also expect to see Kanter get some starts depending on matchups. I'd expect to see him start against the likes of Philly or Minnesota, etc.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
His bad defense is down to a lack of work ethic on his part. He has some limitations physically but he has enough physical tools to be a capable defender. What he doesn't have is defensive fundamentals. An understanding of how to position himself off the ball. To be in proper position for help defense actions. What he doesn't have is a level of focus and desire to read the game on defense to try and see what is coming.

It is laziness. It is laziness on the court during games (focus, reading offensive actions) and more importantly laziness when it comes to his own personal development (in terms of learning basic positioning) for the duration of his entire career.

That is why I have never been confident in his ability to overcome to his defensive issues because he has enough tools to be useful on defense but he has never shown the work ethic necessary to use those effectively. He'll flash some positives for a few weeks and con you into believing he is maturing but then he'll fall back into old ways once again. Lazy is lazy. Kanter is lazy.

If lazy play is a problem at this stage of his NBA career and the reason for his reputation of playing poor defense, then he and the Celtic have a major problem. it then becomes a serious character issue.

I just think he's a poor decision maker on D. He simply sucks defensively.

I interpreted Who's post as a suggestion that off-court laziness is part of the reason he's such a poor decision maker.  He simply hasn't put in the work to learn how to play defense at a respectable level.  On the flip side, some of this might boil down to the fact that Kanter has been on teams with mediocre coaches/programs for his entire career.  Quinn Snyder and Terry Stotts would qualify as the only two quality coaches that he's played for, and each was only for half a season.

Most teams are a joke when it comes to player development.  Hopefully Brad's coaching will lead to some improvement with defensive positioning.  Winning + Quality Coaching can make a real difference.   

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
My opinion is when you don't have a team with 5 clear cut starters but rather a clear cut 5 players for 4 spots(MS, KW, JB, GH, JT) and then 2 or 3 iffy players for the last spot you rotate alot and find combinations that work against certain teams and even certain players.  IMHO those 7 or 8 players should have 2-3 of the clear cut players and 1-2 of the iffy player on the floor at the same time.  Don't make it a clear cut starters and bench.  Other than garbage time, I want to see at least one of MS and KW on the floor on the floor at the same time.  A 3  man rotation of MS, JB, KW should have 2 of the 3 on the floor virtually the whole game.  Same with JT and GH.  Etc.  Use depth to keep every fresh.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I think that the most likely issue is that Brad's offence doesn't really utilize big men with post games. I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up something similar to the situation we had with Greg Munroe. I was enthused by his signing when it happened (the first time), but it ended up being a waste of time because our offence didn't cater any of his strengths at all.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think that the most likely issue is that Brad's offence doesn't really utilize big men with post games. I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up something similar to the situation we had with Greg Munroe. I was enthused by his signing when it happened (the first time), but it ended up being a waste of time because our offence didn't cater any of his strengths at all.

It's an interesting test. The Celtics have never really had a back-to-the-basket threat like Kanter for as long as Stevens has been the coach of the team. Monroe was maybe the best of that ilk and Monroe averaged double figures in fewer than 20 mpg while he was with the Celtics. He was unplayable on defense.

I say it'll be a test because I see Stevens as a guy who gets the most out of the talent he has and has just never started a season with someone who had Kanter's skillset. I imagine we're going to see some offensive sets we're not used to seeing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 05:59:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Kanter has been an off the bench 21-27 minute a game guy almost is entire career. It would be weird if it became a problem for him now.
good point. and so as to add some precision to this, his career to date:
583 = games played
216 = games started
22.2 = minutes/game

so yes, basically kanter has come off the bench for the majority of his career to play just over 22 minutes a game.

this would seem to fit with his expected role with celtics this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 02:22:01 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
In terms of line-up balance, I think it makes more sense to bring Kanter off the bench. With Kemba, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum needing shots, there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities for him. Starting somebody like Theis/Poirier/Timelord (not ready, I know) gives the Cs more of a defensive presence - which is needed with Tatum/Hayward on the front line - while also punting offensive touches from the equation for our starting Center.

I am sure Stevens has had conversations with Kanter about this already. He has feasted on bench line-ups his whole career while playing decent minutes. I expect he will be fine as long as he is playing. A Smart/Kanter/Edwards line-up off the bench should be pretty electric. Williams is probably included in that group for balance and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Green push his way up the depth chart, too.

No matter what, it should be a fun season, and Kanter should play a big role in that!

Right on the money. I was not aware of how Kanter had spent most of his career in terms of his role and playing time - so sounds like he should be fine off the bench as long as he gets decent minutes. I also see many advantages to playing him more often with the 2nd unit - he becomes a primary scorer for that group, which he should like, IF Stevens will adjust some of the offense to a more traditional post player. Good change of pace that opponents will have to adjust to as well. Plus he will not be defending 1st unit players, which should ease some pressure from him, though I would like to see the guy make some level of commitment to his defensive play in the best interests of his new team.

I see Robert Williams as our possible answer at the 5 spot. Yes he needs improvement, but he has the highest level of raw talent and it sounds like he is working hard. He is already defensive minded, which along with rebounding, is our biggest need from the center position. Our starting group already has plenty of firepower. I would also love to see some minutes given over to a Williams & Kanter 4/5 combo and turn them loose on the offensive boards.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 02:31:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't see all the hype regarding Robert Williams being our answer at C this season. He's still incredibly raw and needs at least a year or two's worth of NBA seasoning to be an impact player. Our answer at C will likely hinge on Daniel Theis-he was a very good centre in his rookie season before he tore his meniscus, showing the ability to stretch the floor, play the PnR well and defend in space as well as protect the rim. Imo he'll be our main guy to play against the majority of NBA frontlines save for the biggest of centres, where Poirier and Kanter will be utilised to combat such big men.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA