Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69662 times)

Re: So lets here the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
ya i have to think rondo is definitely injured....he just lacks his explosiveness and agressiveness

but i am not worried that he will turn it on soon
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
ive noticed in the last few games and maybe its been longer Rondo is always at  the 3pt range when crunch time of a game to take shots,Why?I just want someone to explain why he is there and if thats the play Doc is calling,why?Rondo is the last guy on the court who should be waiting on the perimeter to take a three.I understand they have to or try spreading the floor in situations but they need to figure out where he can better take a shot, if it comes down to it?

he stands just inside the line, his "shot" if you want to credit him with a better than other one, is 18ft from the right side.

thats his hot spot, very realitivly speaking, as a shooter.
If you are refering to Rondo's "sweet spot",not working for him at this time.I just do not buy the reasoning for him to be out there whether its 18 or beyond.He doesn't have range that far out on a consistent basis this season or last.Its would be wiser for Rondo to look to shoot a shorter jumper if he is not penetrating for his shot.(imo)

well, rondo's sweet spot must have cavities in it. on another thread about rondo roy hobbs have a link that showed rondo's shooting at 16.1% with his jumpshots this year.

and by the way, his free throw shooting is sitting at a depressing 53.7 %.

i dont care what folks say about the other skills rondo brings to the team, shooting like this raises some serious questions the celtics being able to repeat as world champions.

do people not understand what relatively means? is that the problem?

if you shoot a crap 3 pt percentage like i do in the gym (i would call myself a horrid 3 pt shooter, i probely shoot like 20% on a hot day) but i shoot like, say 25% from the left side of the arc, that doesn't make me a good 3 pt shooter, but it does mean that the left arc is my sweet spot, relatively speaking.

I honestly didn't think people would misunderstand and think i was saying he was a good shooter, period.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think people are just saying that Rondo doesn't have a sweet spot...relativity be [dang]ed?

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think people are just saying that Rondo doesn't have a sweet spot...relativity be [dang]ed?

all are entitled to thier opnion, but h does. he's gone so far as to mention it, and it got brought up in the finals. thats the reason he ends up in the top right corner, he thinks he has that shot.

He still shoots a bad percentage from thier but its higher overall than his overall atrocious percentage.

Thats all i was saying, people seem to have taken it as a "only good shooters have sweet or favroite spots on the floor!" statement, which it wasen't.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

all are entitled to thier opnion, but h does. he's gone so far as to mention it, and it got brought up in the finals. thats the reason he ends up in the top right corner, he thinks he has that shot.

He still shoots a bad percentage from thier but its higher overall than his overall atrocious percentage.

Thats all i was saying, people seem to have taken it as a "only good shooters have sweet or favroite spots on the floor!" statement, which it wasen't.

Finding these things out is relatively easy. NBA.com has a cumulative shooting chart (Hotspots) for each player which can also be broken down into different splits. Rondo didn't shoot lower than .375 from ANY spot on mid to long range 2 pt jumpers last regular season. He shot .462 from the right baseline on them and .488 from the left baseline. He also shot .464 from the right elbow, and .455 from above the key (the last two are particular interest to me as those are shots that he took off of the dribble). Those all are pretty good numbers on those shots. His problem area was actually on close range jumpers to the right and left of the hoop and on threes, of course.

To put that into perspective Baron Davis didn't hit for higher then 40% from any of those spots, and was in the very low 30s from a few places. Guys like Tony Parker and Andre Miller shot very well from one spot only, and were fairly bad on the rest of their mid range jumpers.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are saying "Well, he stank it up in the playoffs. Actually, not on his mid to long range 2pt jumpers, he actually significantly improved there. Rondo shot a collective .492 on mid to long range jumpers in the playoffs, with a high of .579 on left baseline jumpers (11 of 19). His shooting percentage was low,overall, because of his percentage closer to the basket, and I personally think that a lot of that had to do with the refs allowing other teams to be physical with him there (to foul him).

So the idea that Rondo was a terrible shooter in the regular or postseason, at least from midrange, is pretty much a myth. He should have taken a lot more, IMO.

To this point of the season he is 1 for 11 on those shots. I'm far less concerned with the percentage than with the attempts. That means that he has only attempted one per game on the average, and as we well know he has gone through plenty of games not taking any. With so few attempts, he could have a couple of good, aggressive games and see his overall percentage look very good again.

Rondo actually has a pretty good midrange shot.... when he actually looks to use it and is in rhythm. That he isn't is a big problem, IMO. Why isn't he? I really can't say definitively, though one thing which Doc SHOULD be saying to the kid is to take jumpers, off of picks, from the free throw line area from where he was quite good last season.

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Finding these things out is relatively easy. NBA.com has a cumulative shooting chart (Hotspots) for each player which can also be broken down into different splits. Rondo didn't shoot lower than .375 from ANY spot on mid to long range 2 pt jumpers last regular season. He shot .462 from the right baseline on them and .488 from the left baseline. He also shot .464 from the right elbow, and .455 from above the key (the last two are particular interest to me as those are shots that he took off of the dribble). Those all are pretty good numbers on those shots. His problem area was actually on close range jumpers to the right and left of the hoop and on threes, of course.

To put that into perspective Baron Davis didn't hit for higher then 40% from any of those spots, and was in the very low 30s from a few places. Guys like Tony Parker and Andre Miller shot very well from one spot only, and were fairly bad on the rest of their mid range jumpers.

Now I'm sure a lot of you are saying "Well, he stank it up in the playoffs. Actually, not on his mid to long range 2pt jumpers, he actually significantly improved there. Rondo shot a collective .492 on mid to long range jumpers in the playoffs, with a high of .579 on left baseline jumpers (11 of 19). His shooting percentage was low,overall, because of his percentage closer to the basket, and I personally think that a lot of that had to do with the refs allowing other teams to be physical with him there (to foul him).

So the idea that Rondo was a terrible shooter in the regular or postseason, at least from midrange, is pretty much a myth. He should have taken a lot more, IMO.

To this point of the season he is 1 for 11 on those shots. I'm far less concerned with the percentage than with the attempts. That means that he has only attempted one per game on the average, and as we well know he has gone through plenty of games not taking any. With so few attempts, he could have a couple of good, aggressive games and see his overall percentage look very good again.

Rondo actually has a pretty good midrange shot.... when he actually looks to use it and is in rhythm. That he isn't is a big problem, IMO. Why isn't he? I really can't say definitively, though one thing which Doc SHOULD be saying to the kid is to take jumpers, off of picks, from the free throw line area from where he was quite good last season.

This reasoning works pretty well under two assumptions:
- there's no correlation between usage and efficiency
- opponent teams defend all players equally, disregarding their skillset

In this universe, it's correct to say that Rondo has a pretty good midrange shot. In fact, he's a better midrange shooter than Pierce - excluding finishes at the rim and 3pt shots, Rondo shot 44% and Pierce 42%.

Of course that in the real world Pierce or Davis would probably hit 70% of the midrange shots Rondo takes.

« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Even Tommy, the biggest Rondo fanboy, didn't like his play. Rondo is basically Ben Wallace on offense. He may get a couple buckets off of cuts but besides that he's useless. I'm putting this loss on him. I think he's had more missed layups and airballs than FG this year.

OK, excuse time.  Rondo is hurt.  He looks exactly like he did when he was playing hurt last year.  He is missing his normal explosiveness, which makes it very tough for him to finish at the rim, and takes away his biggest (or really his only) offensive weapon.  He also seems to be his focus (it is likely connected), and trying to make passes that simply are not in his repertoire, because he can't make the moves he normally makes. 

Bottom line, he needs to learn how to play hurt and still be effective...

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett

In this universe, it's correct to say that Rondo has a pretty good midrange shot. In fact, he's a better midrange shooter than Pierce - excluding finishes at the rim and 3pt shots, Rondo shot 44% and Pierce 42%.

Of course that in the real world Pierce or Davis would probably hit 70% of the midrange shots Rondo takes.

My counter points are

1. Whenever Rondo's usage has gone up (especially when Ray and K.G. missed time last season), his efficiency went up as well. That doesn't mean that he shot well in every game, just that he shot much better overall. Case in point, @ Minny last season. Remember Rondo hitting the game tying jumper in Bassy's face? He didn't hesitate, and he shot it off of the dribble. The key thing was that he was comfortable taking it because he had been shooting the ball more frequently and on his terms. The more the kid has the ball, the better he plays. Check out the game logs.

2. As I pointed out in my previous post, Rondo was hitting shots at roughly the same rate from spots on the floor that he was shooting off of the dribble. The Celtics would set up Rajon for jumpers on the baseline, the elbow and key shots were mostly off the pick or straight up penetration. Now why do teams give him that shot?

1. They are daring him to take it, and he hits it pretty well when he does and

2. It is a hell of lot better to let Rondo shot a jumper than let him get into the paint if you can help it. If our opponents looked to "take away" those shots, he would just blow past them to the rim or would hit the roll man. Those are there for him all day.

3 Davis?

« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

My counter points are

1. Whenever Rondo's usage has gone up (especially when Ray and K.G. missed time last season), his efficiency went up as well. That doesn't mean that he shot well in every game, just that he shot much better overall. Case in point, @ Minny last season. Remember Rondo hitting the game tying jumper in Bassy's face? He didn't hesitate, and he shot it off of the dribble. The key thing was that he was comfortable taking it because he had been shooting the ball more frequently and on his terms. The more the kid has the ball, the better he plays. Check out the game logs.

2. As I pointed out in my previous post, Rondo was hitting shots at roughly the same rate from spots on the floor that he was shooting off of the dribble. The Celtics would set up Rajon for jumpers on the baseline, the elbow and key shots were mostly off the pick or straight up penetration. Now why do teams give him that shot?

2. It is a hell of lot better to let Rondo shot a jumper than let him get into the paint if you can help it. If our opponents looked to "take away" those shots, he would just blow past them to the rim or would hit the roll man. Those are there for him all day.

3 Davis?

The reason why teams give Rondo the open jump-shot is because he doesn't hit them at a high enough rate relatively to the other options on his team - and many times he doesn't even take them, what will lead to a more inneficient shot for someone else later on the clock or a turnover. For example, Ray Allen had a 52%eFG on his jump-shots last season, and many of them were heavily contested 3s. Anectodal evidence and such small samples don't have any relevance. Rondo is not such a good finisher either. Not nearly as good as Pierce and Davis, for example. But have you charted or treated statistically that data? The efficiency on ull-off jumpers, usage rate vs efficiency shots, etc.? The point is: make Rondo the 1st or 2nd scoring option on a team, like Pierce or Davis, and his shooting efficiency will decline abruptly. To compare his efficiency with those players is absolutely flawed, so saying that his jump-shot is pretty good is disingenuous. If we're going to be arbitrary, it makes much more sense to compare his shooting efficiency with the starting pg with a closer usage rate: Jameer Nelson (19% to Rondo's 18.9%). TS% - 51.5 to 56.4 ; eFG% - 49.6 to 52.2; eFG% on jump-shots -  42.2 to 48.0.

There is a reason why more picks aren't used with Rondo: teams will defend them going under and offering him the open shot. He won't take it most of the times, and in that case the only consequence will be to take seconds out of the shot clock; if he takes them, he doesn't hit them efficiently enough.

There are NBA players who make 80% of his uncontested shots (on in-game situations, in the gymn they easily make 100 out of 100). Obviously, nobody averages this through a season. And those shooters generally don't have the shooting mechanics that would allow them to  optimize the efficiency when taking uncontested shots (because of the muscle memory they have a quicker release that they would need).

p.s. - just to clarify, what I'm disputing here is the qualification of Rondo's jump-shot as good, or even passable. It's extremely bad relatively to the standard of NBA guards. I agree that he should take more open shots that are given to him because most of the times he passes one he's disrupting the offensive flow and hurting the team overall efficiency.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:58:25 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett

My counter points are

3 Davis?

The reason why teams give Rondo the open jump-shot is because he doesn't hit them at a high enough rate relatively to the other options on his team - and many times he doesn't even take them, what will lead to a more inneficient shot for someone else later on the clock or a turnover. For example, Ray Allen had a 52%eFG on his jump-shots last season, and many of them were heavily contested 3s. Anectodal evidence and such small samples don't have any relevance. Rondo is not such a good finisher either. Not nearly as good as Pierce and Davis, for example. But have you charted or treated statistically that data? The efficiency on ull-off jumpers, usage rate vs efficiency shots, etc.? The point is: make Rondo the 1st or 2nd scoring option on a team, like Pierce or Davis, and his shooting efficiency will decline abruptly. To compare his efficiency with those players is absolutely flawed, so saying that his jump-shot is pretty good is disingenuous. If we're going to be arbitrary, it makes much more sense to compare his shooting efficiency with the starting pg with a closer usage rate: Jameer Nelson (19% to Rondo's 18.9%). TS% - 51.5 to 56.4 ; eFG% - 49.6 to 52.2; eFG% on jump-shots -  42.2 to 48.0.

There is a reason why more picks aren't used with Rondo: teams will defend them going under and offering him the open shot. He won't take it most of the times, and in that case the only consequence will be to take seconds out of the shot clock; if he takes them, he doesn't hit them efficiently enough.

There are NBA players who make 80% of his uncontested shots (on in-game situations, in the gymn they easily make 100 out of 100). Obviously, nobody averages this through a season. And those shooters generally don't have the shooting mechanics that would allow them to  optimize the efficiency when taking uncontested shots (because of the muscle memory they have a quicker release that they would need).

p.s. - just to clarify, what I'm disputing here is the qualification of Rondo's jump-shot as good, or even passable. It's extremely bad relatively to the standard of NBA guards. I agree that he should take more open shots that are given to him because most of the times he passes one he's disrupting the offensive flow and hurting the team overall efficiency.

There are players who easily make 100 out of 100 jumpshots in the gym? 80% in games? Where did you come up with that one, because I haven't heard or seen ANYTHING which would back that up.

Rondo's range does not extend out to the three point line. When you start bring things like eFG and TS% into the mix, it would be a good thing to remember that areas other than midrange jumpshots are being figured into the equation. A three is counted as 1.5 shots, and if a guy takes a lot of them and hits them at a fair rate it can really boost his eFG. That doesn't mean, in ANY way, that he is a better midrange shooter. Just that he has more range. Garnett, for example, is a much better midrange shooter than many of the guys out there who consistently jack up threes. That Kevin doesn't have that range doesn't make them better than him in that area. Is Rondo a "good shooter"? Not really, but he is going to get that shot whenever he wants because of the other things he does.

Another thing is that Rondo's speed makes going under the pick against him a lot easier said than done, just as has been the case with Parker for years. Rondo consistently gets into the paint when picks are set for him, and the times that he doesn't it really doesn't matter much. A pick and roll play, unlike a lot of the junk that Rivers likes to run, takes about 4 seconds to run. If it doesn't work, you can either 1. run it again, or 2 try something else. As I already pointed out, though, Rondo actually hits the shot off of the pick and roll at a fairly good rate. He is just extremely reluctant to shoot it. He is just as open the times that he does shoot it as when he doesn't. The defense isn't making the difference there, it is his mindset which is.

As for contesting his jumper, good luck there. Even now that Tony Parker is hitting his mid range jumper, opponents still give it to him. Why? Better to give up a two point shot a guy hits at 40% than one he hits at 60%.

With regards to Jameer Nelson. The guy is a better shooter than Rondo, but then again he is nowhere near the finisher or creator off of the dribble that Rajon is either (Rondo is shooting 20 points higher inside). Nelson had, as of 11/18, a grand total of 11 assists on shots near the basket. Rondo had 32. Rondo isn't just getting people three pointers and jumpers anymore (something he was criticized for last season,and can do just about whenever he wants to), he is setting up guys for point blank looks. Actually, with Dwight Howard for a teammate how does a point guard not get more? Rajon has probally dimed Perk that many times. Hell, Chris Paul only has 39 of those kinds of assists, and he has the ball about three times as much as Rondo does.

Why do I bring this stuff up? The pick and roll is the primary method of allowing a point guard to do his business. Despite the fact that Rondo is a reluctant jumpshooter, I think that he is very effective off of it and is the kind of playmaker who warrants its use.

Finally, I believe that many people look at the pick and roll in a limited way. The pick and roll isn't just about the ball handler and the pick setter. If you watch the Hornets, Raptors and Jazz (when Deron is healthy), three teams that run it a bunch, it is really the 3 other guys who get the most benefit. Take our last game against the Raptors. Rondo was taking the drive AND the shot away from Calderon, yet the guy still got 10 assists, and I doubt that he hit the roll man once. Why? The other three were in motion improving their position and he was finding them. The pick and roll forces the defense to react and adjust. In the case of Rondo, you'll see that when the defense will pull in towards the paint, and that opens Celtic jump shooters up.... especially if they move off of the ball. It is more of a distribution play, and it goes down quickly which is good.

Pay very close attention to pick and rolls run with Rondo in the next game. He can consistently get Paul, Ray and Kevin open looks off of it. Quite frankly he gets Kevin so wide open that I think that K.G. is uncomfortable taking the shot at times. He is used to someone being near him when he shoots.

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Rondo will be a good role player for years to come and might remain a capable starter as his career progresses... possibly even for the Celtics.  He doesn't have star potential though.

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Rondo will be a good role player for years to come and might remain a capable starter as his career progresses... possibly even for the Celtics.  He doesn't have star potential though.

Gary Payton Gary Payton Gary Payton.

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
So, let's hear the excuses for misspelling the Subject line of a new forum post.  ;)

« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So, let's hear the excuses for misspelling the Subject line of a new forum post.  ;)

Wow, I've been looking at that for days...I usually fix em up when I see them!  All better now... ;)
Yup

« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Gary Payton Gary Payton Gary Payton.

IS that to say you think Rondo has Payton potential?  I don't see it