Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69707 times)

Re: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

Are you trying to say that he has a higher shooting percentage when he's not playing aggressively? Because that's ridiculous. I don't think that the 5-25 stretch in the 4 games before his aggressiveness reappeared badly skewed his statistics upward.

From the inside yes. Back when bad Rondo was around the guy would pass up layup opportunities. I think you have to be blind not to see that. Your conflating his speed with finishing ability.

His speed gets him into the lane. His speed allows him to beat people for easy layups. That doesn't mean he finishes well. He wasn't elevating to the basket well. You haven't produced a statistic that would really "prove" me wrong.

You would need to track how many times he gets INTO the lane - and how many shots he takes. A guy like Rondo who can get anywhere he wants on the court - and has outside shooters will of course take plenty of shots from the paint.

Tony Allen is only 0.1 points behind Rondo in points in the paint and he gets fouled more then Rondo. Do you think Allen finishes as well as Lebron? Like I said the statitsics your relying on don't track what I am talking about. 

And have you considered that some of his "bad" stretches are injury related? Aside from the beating he takes on some of his drives I thought he twisted his ankle during one of the earlier games. Others in this thread have noted that he's been lacking some of his explosiveness. If he starts off the season playing well, has a few bad games and then starts playing well again the answer isn't necessarily jeckyl and hyde.

I am not anti-Rondo. He was playing very poorly - now he is playing much better. Injuries are obviously a possibility. But nonetheless he was playing like garbage for much of the early part of the season. He would pass up wide open jumpers -drive to the line and pass out to Ray or Paul for contested shots. Like i said your so biased you don't see this.

I see Rondo for what he really is. Your trying to invalidate very obvious observations by twisting statistics. Rondo doesn't shoot well from the outside. He doesn't finish as well as other top NBA guards with regards to difficult layups so this year he has been taking less of them.

Last year he chucked it up from the inside to the tune of .573 percent. He of course played more aggressively last year (and only recently has returned to that kind of form.) I haven't seen any change in his ability to finish so that's probably the kind of number he will end up with.

Pete

I don't see how Rondo could be leading the team in scoring in the paint without taking difficult layups. Does Pierce take difficult layups, how about Ray Allen or Garnett? If Rondo is outscoring them in there, and shooting at a higher percentage (actually just a hair ahead of Garnett), he must be taking quite a few.

Has he passed some up? Certainly. More than I'd like to see. Of course, now that he isn't being told to give the ball up like a robot, he's experiencing a spike in scoring.

What I find to be really interesting is the game where Rondo suddenly became "aggressive". Against the Knicks. I actually said a day or two before that game that Rondo wouldn't get a chance to show his stuff until one of the Big Three went down. Garnett gets suspended, Doc has no choice but to give Rondo the ball, and... what do ya know, he suddenly becomes "aggressive". Funny how that worked out.

When you are a 6' guard who is shooting over 70% inside, and leading your team in the paint, that is being a good finisher. Incidentally, despite his 4 game slide, Rondo is averaging 5.6 ppg inside this season, which is 0.8 MORE than he did last season when he was "more aggressive".

Finally, Rondo, plays his minutes with the Big Three. Rumor has it that they are pretty good scorers and it is his job to get them the ball, being the point guard and all. I've been very pleased with Tony, but he is a primary scorer in the second unit and isn't too involved with playmaking. That's OK by me, considering that his 0.63 assist to turnover ratio isn't moving him to the head of the playmaking line anyways. Tony is also getting alot of those baskets against the second units of other teams. Rondo is doing his work against the front lines of the opposition.

I fully expect Rajon to lead the team in interior scoring this season in very much the same way that Parker has led his for years. Maybe K.G. will beat him out, but I doubt that.

« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I didn't read all the pages, but I think Rondo is more like Mookie Blaylock when he first came into the league than BJ Armstrong.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Are you trying to say that he has a higher shooting percentage when he's not playing aggressively? Because that's ridiculous. I don't think that the 5-25 stretch in the 4 games before his aggressiveness reappeared badly skewed his statistics upward.

From the inside yes. Back when bad Rondo was around the guy would pass up layup opportunities. I think you have to be blind not to see that. Your conflating his speed with finishing ability.

His speed gets him into the lane. His speed allows him to beat people for easy layups. That doesn't mean he finishes well. He wasn't elevating to the basket well. You haven't produced a statistic that would really "prove" me wrong.

You would need to track how many times he gets INTO the lane - and how many shots he takes. A guy like Rondo who can get anywhere he wants on the court - and has outside shooters will of course take plenty of shots from the paint.

Tony Allen is only 0.1 points behind Rondo in points in the paint and he gets fouled more then Rondo. Do you think Allen finishes as well as Lebron? Like I said the statitsics your relying on don't track what I am talking about. 

And have you considered that some of his "bad" stretches are injury related? Aside from the beating he takes on some of his drives I thought he twisted his ankle during one of the earlier games. Others in this thread have noted that he's been lacking some of his explosiveness. If he starts off the season playing well, has a few bad games and then starts playing well again the answer isn't necessarily jeckyl and hyde.

I am not anti-Rondo. He was playing very poorly - now he is playing much better. Injuries are obviously a possibility. But nonetheless he was playing like garbage for much of the early part of the season. He would pass up wide open jumpers -drive to the line and pass out to Ray or Paul for contested shots. Like i said your so biased you don't see this.

I see Rondo for what he really is. Your trying to invalidate very obvious observations by twisting statistics. Rondo doesn't shoot well from the outside. He doesn't finish as well as other top NBA guards with regards to difficult layups so this year he has been taking less of them.

Last year he chucked it up from the inside to the tune of .573 percent. He of course played more aggressively last year (and only recently has returned to that kind of form.) I haven't seen any change in his ability to finish so that's probably the kind of number he will end up with.

Pete

i actually think the burden is on you to produce some evidence that Rondo is a poor finisher and passes up some inordinate number of shots because he is a poor finisher.

i think you a trying to analyze in the framework of a scoring PG, which he isn't (especially with the personnel he is playing with), He is a pass-first PG and that is the right way for the PG to play in our system along side three HOFers.

if Rondo was taking 20 shots a game it would not be to the team's benefit...

« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Pete

i actually think the burden is on you to produce some evidence that Rondo is a poor finisher and passes up some inordinate number of shots because he is a poor finisher.

i think you a trying to analyze in the framework of a scoring PG, which he isn't (especially with the personnel he is playing with), He is a pass-first PG and that is the right way for the PG to play in our system along side three HOFers.

if Rondo was taking 20 shots a game it would not be to the team's benefit...

same, while i agree he was playing tentative and below par for the start of the season, i don't really think its valid to dismiss his points about rondo's finishing and go:

"if you don't agree with me he's a poor finisher, nananan-nana, your wrong."

He's come at it from every angle you've asked, successfully for the most part, and yet you still say he's drinking the rondo koolaid and dismiss an opnion to the contrary out of hand.

I Don't think he's a great finisher at the rim, he's no CP3 or parker, but he's very good finisher for a driving PG.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Pete

Sweet17- I don't see how you can make the statement that "you see Rondo for what he is." Everyone has a different perspective on the Rondo subject, and you can't just assume that you're right and everyone else is wrong. I know I don't. Also, don't be afraid to admit that you're not a big Rondo fan. From reading many of your posts over the past couple of seasons, it's clear to me that you are one of the most neagative about Rondo on the blog. Again, that's okay, but it rubs people the wrong way when you make the posts that you do and then claim that you are a Rondo guy.

Now on to the post itself. Rondo went through a long stretch where he passed up many-a-layup. The thing that people don't seem to be considering is that Rondo looked to be just plain scared of finishing around the rim. Now, it's tough to prove that a professional basketball player would be scared of anything on the court, but Rondo's a unique case. I think it's pretty easy to see why he would would have some fear. Every time he finishes strong, he gets absolutely clobbered! It is understandable that at some point after crashing hard to the floor layup after layup that Rondo would start to shy away from going up strong. Eventually, after enough of Doc yelling at him for not being aggressive enough, he snaps out of it and finshes once again with reckless abandon.

As far as how good of a finisher Rondo is, I think he's an excellent finisher. This, I feel, is confirmed by BballTim's stats, although my opinion about his finishing comes from observation. Yes, he tends to broadjump rather than highjump at times, but that's his style and it works for him. Most of the time, Rondo does the majority of the work getting himself into position to finish, and then finishes easily using that broadjump. Take his two favorite moves as examples of this. There's the move where he fakes the behind the back pass and lays it in. That move is not conducive to a highjump; however, it typically leads to an easy lay in (watch any youtube Rondo mix and you'll see what I'm saying about this move). His other favorite, the Dwayne Wade step-in-one-direction-and-then-the-other-and-then-lay-it-in move, also cannot be highjumped off of. Rondo is capable of highjumping. He has risen to slam home missed jump shots numerous times, and once in a while he'll just drive in and slam one home (see Pistons game last year). Again. he doesn't dunk often, because he gets killed whenever he dunks it traffic (see Pistons game last year).

Finally, how about we get back to the very basics, and see if we agree or disagree on what Rondo is:

Shooting- Below Average
Finishing- Above Average
Ball-Handling- One of the best in the league
Quickness- One of the best in the league
Team Defense- Above Average
On the Ball Defense- One of the best in the league
Ability to Set Tempo as the Point Guard- Above Average (Perhaps on a different team without The Big Three he would be one of the best)
Decision Making- Average (Great at finding teammates but can be prone to making turnovers, and has stuggled at times with passing up open jumpers and layups)

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2008, 12:14:19 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just because Rondo gets into the lane doesn't mean he's supposed to shoot the ball. Drawing defenders and passing the ball is part of his job. By your count Steve Nash is about the worst finisher in the history of the league because he dribbles in and out of the lane without shooting all the time. 

Pete

What you're saying is just plain wrong. For starters, he's not taking less layups this year than last year. He's taking the same amount even though he's taking fewer shots overall. Also, take a look at this page when you get a chance:

http://www.82games.com/0809/FGSORT7.HTM

Sort on inside scoring and you'll only see about 4-5 PGs ahead of him. Sort on foul% and you'll only see about 3 PGs ahead of him. Sort on inside FG% an he's the top PG (he's 9th, Parker's 18th, Paul's 23rd, no other PGs in the top 30). So he takes as many in traffic as anyone else (he gets fouled nearly the most), he takes as many shots on the inside as the other PGs (he's near the top in inside scoring) and he makes the highest percentage of inside shots of any PG. You can call that twisting statistics (from a site that you use when it shows Rondo in a bad light) or you can admit that your observations are clearly biased.

As for his finishing compared to last year, he's taking as many shots from the inside (and a higher percentage off his total shots), he's getting fouled much more often (over 50% more free throws this year) and he's still shooting his inside shots at a much higher percentage. It looks like his ability to finish has improved whether you see it or not.

« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To put those inside shot stats in perspective Rondo is currently finishing at the same percentage as LeBron. I don't think many people would be upset if you were to call LeBron the best finisher in the NBA.

He's currently well above his FG% for those same shots last year, so its likely he'll fall off some. But to call him a poor finisher isn't accurate. He doesn't dunk the ball often, but he does get ball in the hoop.

It will be difficult for Rondo to answer his critics until the playoffs. Only in a 7 game series will we truly see teams game plan off him like the Lakers did in the Finals. Will he be able to take advantage then?

We'll have to see, he was inconsistent in the playoffs. Usually good at home and bad on the road. If he is merely okay across the board, with a few great games worked in if they play off him, we'll repeat.

« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Now if only he could hit those extra free throws....

« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

Pete

Sweet17- I don't see how you can make the statement that "you see Rondo for what he is." Everyone has a different perspective on the Rondo subject, and you can't just assume that you're right and everyone else is wrong. I know I don't. Also, don't be afraid to admit that you're not a big Rondo fan. From reading many of your posts over the past couple of seasons, it's clear to me that you are one of the most neagative about Rondo on the blog. Again, that's okay, but it rubs people the wrong way when you make the posts that you do and then claim that you are a Rondo guy.

Now on to the post itself. Rondo went through a long stretch where he passed up many-a-layup. The thing that people don't seem to be considering is that Rondo looked to be just plain scared of finishing around the rim. Now, it's tough to prove that a professional basketball player would be scared of anything on the court, but Rondo's a unique case. I think it's pretty easy to see why he would would have some fear. Every time he finishes strong, he gets absolutely clobbered! It is understandable that at some point after crashing hard to the floor layup after layup that Rondo would start to shy away from going up strong. Eventually, after enough of Doc yelling at him for not being aggressive enough, he snaps out of it and finshes once again with reckless abandon.

As far as how good of a finisher Rondo is, I think he's an excellent finisher. This, I feel, is confirmed by BballTim's stats, although my opinion about his finishing comes from observation. Yes, he tends to broadjump rather than highjump at times, but that's his style and it works for him. Most of the time, Rondo does the majority of the work getting himself into position to finish, and then finishes easily using that broadjump. Take his two favorite moves as examples of this. There's the move where he fakes the behind the back pass and lays it in. That move is not conducive to a highjump; however, it typically leads to an easy lay in (watch any youtube Rondo mix and you'll see what I'm saying about this move). His other favorite, the Dwayne Wade step-in-one-direction-and-then-the-other-and-then-lay-it-in move, also cannot be highjumped off of. Rondo is capable of highjumping. He has risen to slam home missed jump shots numerous times, and once in a while he'll just drive in and slam one home (see Pistons game last year). Again. he doesn't dunk often, because he gets killed whenever he dunks it traffic (see Pistons game last year).

Finally, how about we get back to the very basics, and see if we agree or disagree on what Rondo is:

Shooting- Below Average
Finishing- Above Average
Ability to Set Tempo as the Point Guard- Above Average (Perhaps on a different team without The Big Three he would be one of the best)
Decision Making- Average (Great at finding teammates but can be prone to making turnovers, and has stuggled at times with passing up open jumpers and layups)

I don't understand how the idea that Rondo is "turnover prone" has become conventional wisdom. The kid has had one 7 turnover game, one 6 turnover game and four 5 turnover games in his entire career, including the postseason. He doesn't have one game this season with more than three. All of our starters turn the ball over as much, or more, than he does, yet he is somehow the one with the problems even though he's a hair outside the top ten in assists for the league.

The kid is more than solid in his decision making. Does he make mistakes? Yeah, and so does everyone else in the league. Personally I think he is too conservative, and Doc hasn't given him enough freedom (at least until lately). It is really tough to average as many assists as Rajon does in an offense like this, and to do so with an assist to turnover ratio over 3. Look at what the change to a more slowed down style has done to Nash, and he's a two-time MVP.

I'm OK with much of the fair criticism that the kid gets, but even people who evidently like him just go along with this "decision making" stuff. He is not turnover prone. He never really was. A bad game here or there? Sure. Isolated events, though. They have ridden him heavily for the last four games. Was he coughing the ball up a lot? No. Was he making a lot of bad decisions? No. He actually has more steals than turnovers.

I actually believe that the guy who should have the most turnovers is the point guard (or the best primary ball handler you have if the point guard blows, eg. Wade). Not that he should be looking to turn it over, but that by having that guy initiate most of the offense, that it reduces everyone else's turnovers. A great case of this is the Hornets and Chris Paul. He leads his team in turnovers, but his team benefits overall from this happening. I wouldn't want Rondo having the ball as much as CP3, but having it a lot more, consistently, would make Paul, Ray and Kevin more efficient.

I think that the it is already showing for Kevin. After having a truly awful beginning to the season with regards to turnovers and assists, he has had 9 assists against only 2 turnovers in these last three games. I think a big reason behind that is that instead of stupidly forcing it into Kevin, while Rondo is watching on the weakside, that Rondo is actually running the offense and is ensuring that Kevin is getting the ball in better places with less focus on him. Easy alley-oops, dump offs on drives, feeds on the break, kick outs for WIDE OPEN jump shots, etc. Kevin is shooting 66% percent from the field over the last 3 games, not turning the ball over, and is scoring at a higher rate to boot. The only reason that he averaged around 16 ppg was that he only averaged 27.8 mpg. Project that out to 36 mpg, and he would be scoring almost 21 ppg, and very, very efficiently.

Ray's turnovers have gone down too, while his assists have gone up. The only one who was bucking the trend was Paul, who I believe was somewhat frustrated with not having the ball in his hands as much as before. He'll get it together, though, if we keep playing this way because it is just so much easier.

« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2008, 10:57:49 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The only way Rondo compares to Armstrong is that they're the same size.  Armstrong was an interchangable part on championship teams.  Without Rondo, the C's wouldn't make it out of the first round.  As Rondo goes, so do the C's.  Rondo is as critical a piece to this team as Paul, Ray, or Kevin.

There are three PGs in the NBA I'd rather have than Rondo.  Paul, Williams, and Rose.
And I don't know that any of them would be a better fit on this team than Rondo.

Fortunately, the biggest weakness Rondo has is the strength of the big 3.  This team rarely needs him to shoot.

« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

Pete

Shooting- Below Average
Finishing- Above Average

I don't understand how the idea that Rondo is "turnover prone" has become conventional wisdom. The kid has had one 7 turnover game, one 6 turnover game and four 5 turnover games in his entire career, including the postseason. He doesn't have one game this season with more than three. All of our starters turn the ball over as much, or more, than he does, yet he is somehow the one with the problems even though he's a hair outside the top ten in assists for the league.

The kid is more than solid in his decision making. Does he make mistakes? Yeah, and so does everyone else in the league. Personally I think he is too conservative, and Doc hasn't given him enough freedom (at least until lately). It is really tough to average as many assists as Rajon does in an offense like this, and to do so with an assist to turnover ratio over 3. Look at what the change to a more slowed down style has done to Nash, and he's a two-time MVP.

I'm OK with much of the fair criticism that the kid gets, but even people who evidently like him just go along with this "decision making" stuff. He is not turnover prone. He never really was. A bad game here or there? Sure. Isolated events, though. They have ridden him heavily for the last four games. Was he coughing the ball up a lot? No. Was he making a lot of bad decisions? No. He actually has more steals than turnovers.

I actually believe that the guy who should have the most turnovers is the point guard (or the best primary ball handler you have if the point guard blows, eg. Wade). Not that he should be looking to turn it over, but that by having that guy initiate most of the offense, that it reduces everyone else's turnovers. A great case of this is the Hornets and Chris Paul. He leads his team in turnovers, but his team benefits overall from this happening. I wouldn't want Rondo having the ball as much as CP3, but having it a lot more, consistently, would make Paul, Ray and Kevin more efficient.

I think that the it is already showing for Kevin. After having a truly awful beginning to the season with regards to turnovers and assists, he has had 9 assists against only 2 turnovers in these last three games. I think a big reason behind that is that instead of stupidly forcing it into Kevin, while Rondo is watching on the weakside, that Rondo is actually running the offense and is ensuring that Kevin is getting the ball in better places with less focus on him. Easy alley-oops, dump offs on drives, feeds on the break, kick outs for WIDE OPEN jump shots, etc. Kevin is shooting 66% percent from the field over the last 3 games, not turning the ball over, and is scoring at a higher rate to boot. The only reason that he averaged around 16 ppg was that he only averaged 27.8 mpg. Project that out to 36 mpg, and he would be scoring almost 21 ppg, and very, very efficiently.

Ray's turnovers have gone down too, while his assists have gone up. The only one who was bucking the trend was Paul, who I believe was somewhat frustrated with not having the ball in his hands as much as before. He'll get it together, though, if we keep playing this way because it is just so much easier.
We can both like Rondo but at the same time disagree about some aspects of his game, no? I think that Rondo's decision making is a bit inconsistent. He may not be a high turnover guy himself, but that does not automatically make him an excellent decision maker. He undeniably has bouts of sloppiness, some stretches of timidity, and although me may not be attributed turnovers for many of the mistakes he makes, that does not mean that he isn't still making these mistakes. Rajon Rondo is the point guard of this team. Doc may not run the offense through him, but he is still the primary ball handler. And so far this year, the Celtics have been extremely turnover prone. As the point guard, Rondo should be held partly responsible for the team's turnover problems, whether most of the turnovers technically belong to him, or not.

« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We can both like Rondo but at the same time disagree about some aspects of his game, no? I think that Rondo's decision making is a bit inconsistent. He may not be a high turnover guy himself, but that does not automatically make him an excellent decision maker. He undeniably has bouts of sloppiness, some stretches of timidity, and although me may not be attributed turnovers for many of the mistakes he makes, that does not mean that he isn't still making these mistakes. Rajon Rondo is the point guard of this team. Doc may not run the offense through him, but he is still the primary ball handler. And so far this year, the Celtics have been extremely turnover prone. As the point guard, Rondo should be held partly responsible for the team's turnover problems, whether most of the turnovers technically belong to him, or not.

What players never have bouts of sloppiness? You're holding him to an awfully high standard. Blaming Rondo when Paul makes a bad pass or Perk sets a moving pick or Leon gets stripped or the like seems a little extreme.

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

What players never have bouts of sloppiness? You're holding him to an awfully high standard. Blaming Rondo when Paul makes a bad pass or Perk sets a moving pick or Leon gets stripped or the like seems a little extreme.

I'm not trying to hold Rondo responsible for all the bad plays other people make. I'm just trying to make the point that the term "decision making" is not a synonym for assist-to-turnover ratio, although I'll admit they are closely related. I do feel strongly that as the point guard of the team, the decisions Rondo make can lead to turnovers that are technically made by others, in the same way that the good decisions Rondo make can lead to assists that are technically made by others.

« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm not trying to hold Rondo responsible for all the bad plays other people make. I'm just trying to make the point that the term "decision making" is not a synonym for assist-to-turnover ratio, although I'll admit they are closely related. I do feel strongly that as the point guard of the team, the decisions Rondo make can lead to turnovers that are technically made by others, in the same way that the good decisions Rondo make can lead to assists that are technically made by others.
Thats true, AS/TO ratio is merely an indicator of good decision making. Another good indicator in my mind is eFG%. Taking good shots, which by definition are ones you make, is a key to playing smart basketball.

What indicators do you use other than those Toine43? We all have our own "gut feeling" of course but we're all big enough basketball geeks that I'm sure we look at other things.

« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

Thats true, AS/TO ratio is merely an indicator of good decision making. Another good indicator in my mind is eFG%. Taking good shots, which by definition are ones you make, is a key to playing smart basketball.

What indicators do you use other than those Toine43? We all have our own "gut feeling" of course but we're all big enough basketball geeks that I'm sure we look at other things.
In my mind, all offensive stat categories play a role in decision making (save FT% and perhaps a couple of others I'm forgetting). Decision making entails knowing your own strengths and weaknesses, knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your teammates, knowing your opponent, keeping in mind what your coach wants from you, the score of the game, the quarter, the foul situation, and the list goes on. There are so many factors that play a role in a player's decision making that it is impossible to evaluate it using only one or two stat categories. And on top of that, even if you're a person who tends to pick a couple of indicators to judge a player's ability, I think that you must look at different indicators for different positions. For instance, while it may make sense to say that Chris Paul is a better decision maker than Rajon Rondo because he has a higher assist-to-turnover ratio, it is much tougher to compare the assist-to-turnover ratio of power forwards and centers. What stat can we use to prove that KG is a better decision maker than Zach Randolph? I'm sure there's a bunch out there, but I think often times it's better just to try and prove your point using observation. Stats should be the tiebreaker of an argument.