Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69666 times)

Re: So lets hear the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Rondo is 3rd in the league in FG% (48.7) among PGs.

... 8th in the league in assists.

... 3rd in the league in steals.

... 6th in the league in rebounds.

And he's playing for the best team.

« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I like Rondo. He was good last year - and has been good the last two games. Let's not label people please..

I think you spent a lot of last year trashing his play and finally came around. I'm pretty sure that before we signed Sam last year you said he was superior both offensively and defensively to Rondo.

« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said this thread will probably look premature and silly in a couple weeks. His last 5 games:

10 PPG, 6.7 APG, 4.2 RPG, 3.4 SPG, 1.6 TOPG, 70% FT%, 60% 3PT%, 45.4% FG%.

And that's with a couple of bad games thrown in.

« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
i can count 7 PGs that could be better for this team:

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

the last two while maybe better overall players right now, I'm not even sure the team would be better with them running the point. I think Rondo is better ballhandler than Calderon and Baron is...welll...Baron.

the other five are amongst the best players in the whole league, so i'm not sure what we really are talking about here.

it seems to me that this is a "not seeing the forrest through the trees" situation. Rondo is simply a great fit for this team.

would he be a better player if he had a better jumper or if he didn't gamble so much on defense? sure. but as it is right now, I only think there are 5 PGs that would be CLEARLY better for this team at the point and that is amazing considering how good those 5 players are.

« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
As I said this thread will probably look premature and silly in a couple weeks. His last 5 games:

I agree with you here,although stats do not always tell a true story about the whole picture.For example:Tony Allen's stats were basically very poor most of the season.He had 1 big game aganist Detroit(first one),a poster waited until that (1)good game which changed his stats dramatically overnight,decided to post a lot great things .The stats made the posters case to a degree,but we know that 1 game didnt tell the true story of the whole time.

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

the last two while maybe better overall players right now, I'm not even sure the team would be better with them running the point. I think Rondo is better ballhandler than Calderon and Baron is...welll...Baron.

the other five are amongst the best players in the whole league, so i'm not sure what we really are talking about here.

it seems to me that this is a "not seeing the forrest through the trees" situation. Rondo is simply a great fit for this team.

would he be a better player if he had a better jumper or if he didn't gamble so much on defense? sure. but as it is right now, I only think there are 5 PGs that would be CLEARLY better for this team at the point and that is amazing considering how good those 5 players are.

injuries aside
and only talking about prime season
i rather have calderon over
baron, tony and chauncey of course over rondo too
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

injuries aside

i think a lot of people feel that way and there are solid reasons to support the feeling. i just think he is more debatable than the others....

Nash, Paul and Williams are the top PGs in the league and Parker and Chauncey are clutch seasoned players that have won Titles and still have major game...

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

injuries aside

i think a lot of people feel that way and there are solid reasons to support the feeling. i just think he is more debatable than the others....

Nash, Paul and Williams are the top PGs in the league and Parker and Chauncey are clutch seasoned players that have won Titles and still have major game...

yes but rondos title doesnt make him better than calderon this year
nor parkers and chaunceys
and i am pretty aware they play bigger roles on their own championships
remember we are just talking thisyearwise.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2008, 11:33:11 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

injuries aside

i agree that the Titles don't make them better players, but i don't think the important question is who is the better player....i think the question is who would be a better PG for this team and come playoffs i'd feel more comfortable with Rondo, Parker and Chauncey over Calderon as the PG of this Celtics team.

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

injuries aside

i agree that the Titles don't make them better players, but i don't think the important question is who is the better player....i think the question is who would be a better PG for this team and come playoffs i'd feel more comfortable with Rondo, Parker and Chauncey over Calderon as the PG of this Celtics team.

better pg for this team coming playoffs
i will go
chauncey
parker

rondo = calderon  ( man i wish he deffend and not only talk better)
now it will always deppend on who is your backup pg
and as eddie isnt
i would like to know who will be

Nice to be back!

« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'd add Derrick Rose to that list of PG's that we would rather have.. He has too much to do in Chicago and that might screw up his development. But here with three stars on the team if we got him early enough he could thrive.

That being said it's not clear how much you would give up if we had a "B" level PG like Chris Duhon or Mo Williams instead. How much better is Rondo then those guys? Some nights you think whoa Rondo is way better.. Other times not so much..

Pete

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2008, 06:57:12 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I'd add Derrick Rose to that list of PG's that we would rather have.. He has too much to do in Chicago and that might screw up his development. But here with three stars on the team if we got him early enough he could thrive.

That being said it's not clear how much you would give up if we had a "B" level PG like Chris Duhon or Mo Williams instead. How much better is Rondo then those guys? Some nights you think whoa Rondo is way better.. Other times not so much..

Pete

i would add Rose to the list of potentially better players (definitely a stud in the making), but i certainly wouldn't add him as a player that would be "clearly" better right now for this team.

and I'm not sure what the ulitmate importance is of debating which PGs we wouldn't lose much having them as our PG instead of Rondo...I mean, i guess it is an interesting theoretical debate, but at the end of the day, I'm still glad we have Rondo over almost all of them except maybe the few i mentioned.

and considering how difficult the PG position is, that's pretty amazing.

« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Well said.

« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncy
Tony Parker
Baron
Calderon

injuries aside

I wouldn't take Nash over Rondo at this point in his career. Defense is also important. I'd also take Rondo over Calderon, even though Rondo's been in a bit if a slump.

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
rondo's defense is better than all of theirs. and this is a defensive minded team.