Author Topic: Rajon Rondo = BJ Armstrong.  (Read 69679 times)

Re: So lets here the excuses for Rondo!
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I prefer we run the offense through Paul or KG down low.

Rondo should only have the ball in transition or to break down the opposing guard (something he doesn't do enough).

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
ive noticed in the last few games and maybe its been longer Rondo is always at  the 3pt range when crunch time of a game to take shots,Why?I just want someone to explain why he is there and if thats the play Doc is calling,why?Rondo is the last guy on the court who should be waiting on the perimeter to take a three.I understand they have to or try spreading the floor in situations but they need to figure out where he can better take a shot, if it comes down to it?

he stands just inside the line, his "shot" if you want to credit him with a better than other one, is 18ft from the right side.

thats his hot spot, very realitivly speaking, as a shooter.
If you are refering to Rondo's "sweet spot",not working for him at this time.I just do not buy the reasoning for him to be out there whether its 18 or beyond.He doesn't have range that far out on a consistent basis this season or last.Its would be wiser for Rondo to look to shoot a shorter jumper if he is not penetrating for his shot.(imo)

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
ive noticed in the last few games and maybe its been longer Rondo is always at  the 3pt range when crunch time of a game to take shots,Why?I just want someone to explain why he is there and if thats the play Doc is calling,why?Rondo is the last guy on the court who should be waiting on the perimeter to take a three.I understand they have to or try spreading the floor in situations but they need to figure out where he can better take a shot, if it comes down to it?

he stands just inside the line, his "shot" if you want to credit him with a better than other one, is 18ft from the right side.

If you are refering to Rondo's "sweet spot",not working for him at this time.I just do not buy the reasoning for him to be out there whether its 18 or beyond.He doesn't have range that far out on a consistent basis this season or last.Its would be wiser for Rondo to look to shoot a shorter jumper if he is not penetrating for his shot.(imo)

One of the problems is that our opponents aren't willing to give him that look anymore. When they do double off of him, it is done in spurts, usually at the end of the game. Quite frankly, though, Eddie is getting doubled off of as much as Rajon now. As I said before, our opponents are going after the ball handlers aggressively, and that is resulting in turnovers, making it well worth the risk, especially with how Eddie has struggled to this point. The one guy who they can't do that with is Rondo, but since he doesn't actually have the ball in his hands, that really doesn't help us.

Personally what I'd like to see from this offense (which I really only expect to see when one of the Big Three has to sit out a few games) is for Rondo to start taking jumpers from around the free throw line when the defense retreats off of him and nothing else is available. preferrably off of the pick. The kid can hit that shot, and has to be encouraged to take it. Overall, though, he is at his best when he gets into the paint and either takes the shot or finds the open man. He needs picks to do that.

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
It just seems like to me in the last couple games when the game was close Ray would have the ball more than Rondo . Rondo seems to end up on the perimeter waiting for the kickout instead of the other way around.Maybe its just the way things happened in those games...   i just thought it was odd.

One of the problems is that our opponents aren't willing to give him that look anymore. When they do double off of him, it is done in spurts, usually at the end of the game. Quite frankly, though, Eddie is getting doubled off of as much as Rajon now. As I said before, our opponents are going after the ball handlers aggressively, and that is resulting in turnovers, making it well worth the risk, especially with how Eddie has struggled to this point. The one guy who they can't do that with is Rondo, but since he doesn't actually have the ball in his hands, that really doesn't help us.

Personally what I'd like to see from this offense (which I really only expect to see when one of the Big Three has to sit out a few games) is for Rondo to start taking jumpers from around the free throw line when the defense retreats off of him and nothing else is available. preferrably off of the pick. The kid can hit that shot, and has to be encouraged to take it. Overall, though, he is at his best when he gets into the paint and either takes the shot or finds the open man. He needs picks to do that.

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

thus why i said realitive, he's still a bad shooter. but if you look at his jumpshooting chart from last year, he's better from 18ft out on the right. and, he's said he likes to shoot the jumper from right there.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

thus why i said realitive, he's still a bad shooter. but if you look at his jumpshooting chart from last year, he's better from 18ft out on the right. and, he's said he likes to shoot the jumper from right there.

It just seems like Ray is dribbling the ball and kicking out to Rondo in a few crunch time situations lately when it should be the other way around.Maybe it just happened that way and not by design but i rather see Ray taking those shots than Rondo.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:12:30 PM by housecall »

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8

It just seems like Ray is dribbling the ball and kicking out to Rondo in a few crunch time situations lately when it should be the other way around.Maybe it just happened that way and not designed but i rather see Ray taking those shots than Rondo.

I just don't like the idea of Ray dribbling around except to free himself up for a shot. he usually ends up dribbling the ball around aimlessly if he tries to be the playmaker.

The way I see it, Rondo is the one guy on the team who can force the defense to collapse on him and set others up efficiently who isn't named Pierce, Allen or Garnett. When Rondo has the ball and is looking to create, he has the three of them to create for. When any of them has, they only have the two others to set up. Look at what happens when he gets into the paint. The kid will oftentimes draw three defenders. Three defenders on him and two covering 3 Hall of Famers and whoever else is out there. That is a recipe for success.

In this last game I was actually shocked to see them set two picks for the kid on one possession. Paul set the first one out on the left sideline and Perk set the next one. The defender near the basket had two choices

1. Let Rondo lay it in or

2. Let Garnett shoot from point blank range. He chose option 2, and K.G. hit the bunny on the pass.

Then you got Donny Marshall talking about how good it is when Rondo gets into the paint, evidently oblivious to the fact that he actually had two, never mind one, picks set for him. That hardly ever happens... it happens for A LOT of point guards, just not ours.

Rondo can't drive into the paint without the ball and setting him picks makes that much easier.

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

well, rondo's sweet spot must have cavities in it. on another thread about rondo roy hobbs have a link that showed rondo's shooting at 16.1% with his jumpshots this year.

and by the way, his free throw shooting is sitting at a depressing 53.7 %.

i dont care what folks say about the other skills rondo brings to the team, shooting like this raises some serious questions the celtics being able to repeat as world champions.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i was sitting at work on break and i came up with why rondo was the one that we kept over the others...

he WONT shoot, there for the big 3 would take a hit on there touches but it wouldn't be as much as if Sebastian or Delonte were at the point. this defenitly WAS an issue at first. but now that we know that it really is all about the wins and not about who scores rondo has to be a scoring option (west, telfair)

I'm defenitly not saying that i'd rather have telfair or Delonte instead of rondo, but as of now i'm not too pleased with his lack of offense (and its not even his inability, its totally mental at this point. you all saw the say he was driving to the hoop in the first game)

>:( >:( >:(

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Rondo has always been a poor excuse for a starting PG on a championship team. 

Give Pruitt the keys and throw him out there with the same amount of minutes and you would never miss Rondo.

The Celtics have issues and the owners/management have painted themselves into the corner.  A series of blunders since June that will come home to roost if nothing is done to turn the wagon around.

Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
There is almost no doubt that Rondo has taken a few steps back this year. It is evident in his lack of offense. I remember at this time last year he was taking and making a lot more jumpers than he is now. His defense is about the same as last year, no complaints there.

But Rondo, among the starting points in the rest of leagues, is 27th in PPG. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/depth) The ones behind him are Conley, Chalmers, and Daniels (Washington). That's ridiculous for a starting point guard.

EDIT: And those 3 point guards are all playing less minutes, too.

I really hope he's just going through a slump.

I agree with Greenback, we should play Pruitt more. He has height and a jumpshot, two things Rondo doesn't have. His defense and quickness are about the same as Rondo. The only advantage Rondo has is he is more of a pure point, while Pruitt is more of a combo guard.

There are no excuses for Rondo. We can't have him passing up wide open layups and jumpers.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2008, 09:07:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow, where's the love for the guy that had 7 steals in the clinching game and 16 and 14 assists in two other playoff games? He is off to a tough start. Have some patience people.

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

well, rondo's sweet spot must have cavities in it. on another thread about rondo roy hobbs have a link that showed rondo's shooting at 16.1% with his jumpshots this year.

and by the way, his free throw shooting is sitting at a depressing 53.7 %.

i dont care what folks say about the other skills rondo brings to the team, shooting like this raises some serious questions the celtics being able to repeat as world champions.

Because the Celts have already shown that they can't win with Rondo playing, right?

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Rondo is INJURED!  groin injury, very painful, give him a couple weeks to play out of it, remmeber how kg played terrible  mediocre for 6 games with strained abs last year?   wait it out

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
Wow, where's the love for the guy that had 7 steals in the clinching game and 16 and 14 assists in two other playoff games? He is off to a tough start. Have some patience people.
The problem was that Faker fan JR Giddens started this thread.

I still love him, I got a man crush on him. lol

He's just gotta get rid of those bad habits of his and resume work on his J's again...
Bleed Green. What does it mean?