Author Topic: Best way to lose weight?  (Read 4866 times)

Re: Best way to lose weight?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
    Some advice I would give is to be aware that other people, even loved ones, are going to try and sabotage your goals. It's not mean spirited really, but if you are doing well, not indulging in certain foods or drink, then people that ARE NOT doing something like this will get jealous,envious of your success and willpower. You can count on it.
     If you really stick with it you'll hear comments how you are too skinny, obsessive, etc. They'll say "aww come on, have a french fry!" etc. etc. Most of the time people will probably commend you but the same people will attempt sabotage if they are'nt having a great day.lol. That's when you stay strong. If you wanna indulge at whatever time make sure it's your decision and not when someone else pushes ya or because you just don't wanna hear it anymore.
     Maybe that's just my crazy experience. I used to be overweight and am very healthy now. I've never had so many unhealthy people, including immediate family, and friends, try to tell me all the things I'm doing wrong despite me explaining how all my levels (cholesterol, blod pressure etc etc) are all really good now. 

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
My advice is diet & proper rest between workouts. remember that more lean muscle mass=higher metabolism which in turn will help accelerate your fat loss. Most people who plateau and/or can't lose that final 10-15# tend to over train trying to shed that stubborn fat. The body is picky in that when it repairs itself it wants the best quality protein available to repair itself. A couple things can happen when you overtrain--you burn off more calories than you take in (the coveted "caloric deficit"), but since you're burning those calories as energy, it needs to find another source of protein to regenerate your energy, before it can repair muscle. The best protein available? your own muscles. it's called a "catabolic state" where your own body canabalizes it's lean muscle--and get this--leaving the fat behind! Long story short, you can be obese but not lose weight while overtraining because you're not getting enough calories. That's why when guys enter bodybuilding competitions, they sometimes drop 15-25 pounds (or more) to get "cut". They have to enter such a caloric deficit while maintaining a huge protein intake but still lose muscle mass. There's also a lot of literature online about hard gainers and how many believe that 70% or more of the population are part of this group. Try working lower reps, heavy weight and keeping your workout around the 45 minute mark. Stick with compound exercises (the basics) and don't worry about cardio. work out every third day, try taking a whey protein supplement and maintaining 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight a day. And get rest. don't go do cardio or play a pickup game on your off days. get 8 hours sleep a night and drink 1/2 to 1 full gallon of water a day.
It really works, I had the same issue as you, and recently lost 45 pounds (over 14 months) and am down to 8.5% body fat. Believe me, once you try it for 8 weeks, you WILL see results and it may even shock you. feel free to contact me if you want a sample work out or want to hear more (I realize I sound like I'm selling something, but I'm not! I just like to help people who have had the same problem).

Good luck!

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:04:46 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
My advice is diet & proper rest between workouts. remember that more lean muscle mass=higher metabolism which in turn will help accelerate your fat loss. Most people who plateau and/or can't lose that final 10-15# tend to over train trying to shed that stubborn fat. The body is picky in that when it repairs itself it wants the best quality protein available to repair itself. A couple things can happen when you overtrain--you burn off more calories than you take in (the coveted "caloric deficit"), but since you're burning those calories as energy, it needs to find another source of protein to regenerate your energy, before it can repair muscle. The best protein available? your own muscles. it's called a "catabolic state" where your own body canabalizes it's lean muscle--and get this--leaving the fat behind! Long story short, you can be obese but not lose weight while overtraining because you're not getting enough calories. That's why when guys enter bodybuilding competitions, they sometimes drop 15-25 pounds (or more) to get "cut". They have to enter such a caloric deficit while maintaining a huge protein intake but still lose muscle mass. There's also a lot of literature online about hard gainers and how many believe that 70% or more of the population are part of this group. Try working lower reps, heavy weight and keeping your workout around the 45 minute mark. Stick with compound exercises (the basics) and don't worry about cardio. work out every third day, try taking a whey protein supplement and maintaining 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight a day. And get rest. don't go do cardio or play a pickup game on your off days. get 8 hours sleep a night and drink 1/2 to 1 full gallon of water a day.
It really works, I had the same issue as you, and recently lost 45 pounds (over 14 months) and am down to 8.5% body fat. Believe me, once you try it for 8 weeks, you WILL see results and it may even shock you. feel free to contact me if you want a sample work out or want to hear more (I realize I sound like I'm selling something, but I'm not! I just like to help people who have had the same problem).

Good luck!

Thanks man. I'm definitely gonna give this a shot!