Author Topic: General Inquiries & Answers  (Read 13115 times)

General Inquiries & Answers
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:40 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I thought it would be cool to have a thread where anyone can ask a question, and anyone can answer. Not so much trivia questions, as we already have threads for that, but questions about almost anything else, that people may be having trouble finding an answer to.

The diversity of Celtics Blogs' members, their backgrounds, occupations and interests, and the accumulated wealth of knowledge that represents, makes it an ideal source for information on almost any subject. If people want to reward others with a TP here-and-there, that's fine, too.

I've seen many threads in the past where people had to start a whole thread just to ask a simple question. There's nothing wrong with that, but if we have a thread already committed to such, then the answers will also be available for others in the future who may be inquiring about the same thing.

Answers should be given by quoting the original inquiry.

Ask away!

:)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: General Inquiries & Answers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I thought I'd start it out, as this question is what gave me the idea for the thread:

Question:

I'm interested in ultralight and microlight aircraft, and was wondering if anyone here at CB is familiar with it, or maybe knows someone who is? During my college years I took flight lessons, (a certified Cessna course), but I just never had the time or money at that time to complete for my license. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is for those lessons, but I assume I'd have to start at the beginning again.

However, I believe that ultralights and microlights require no special license, (just a driver's license here in Maine, I think), and I've heard you can build your own from a kit at significantly lowered cost, (and I just love to build stuff anyway). I've been reading and checking out some sites, but I'd really like to get info from someone with first-hand experience. Anything anyone can supply will earn a TP ... and thanks in advance!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:20:24 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
the Celticsblogopedia thread? nice idea! TP =)

and I know nothing about ultralight or microlight aircraft
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:47 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
ultralight and microlight aircraft?

They are dangerous and your mother would disapprove.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:27:24 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought I'd start it out, as this question is what gave me the idea for the thread:

Question:

I'm interested in ultralight and microlight aircraft, and was wondering if anyone here at CB is familiar with it, or maybe knows someone who is? During my college years I took flight lessons, (a certified Cessna course), but I just never had the time or money at that time to complete for my license. I'm not sure what the statute of limitations is for those lessons, but I assume I'd have to start at the beginning again.

However, I believe that ultralights and microlights require no special license, (just a driver's license here in Maine, I think), and I've heard you can build your own from a kit at significantly lowered cost, (and I just love to build stuff anyway). I've been reading and checking out some sites, but I'd really like to get info from someone with first-hand experience. Anything anyone can supply will earn a TP ... and thanks in advance!
Sorry, I have no info that will help you but I just wanted to say that when I was a young kid, I used to see tons of ultralights flying around, then they dissappeared.  I think I remember hearing that they were made illegal in Rhode Island.  Not positive though.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Definitely look for the nearest ultralight fair/tournament/exhibition/tour/get together surely coming this summer to somewhere  near you (they go everywhere)..

And talk to the pilots!  And have a hot dog with ketchup and mustard!!

Sweet summer!

My question:  is handgliding safe if you avoid cliffs and other treacherous terrain, and just stick to mellow slopes....or can you die with a swift nosedive into a grassy field? 

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know what ultralight aircraft are, but the fact that Maine allows operation of any aircraft without a license sort of scares me.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't know what ultralight aircraft are, but the fact that Maine allows operation of any aircraft without a license sort of scares me.

I know what you mean, lol! There are many different designs, but this is the type I see most over my house, (and I'm about 8 miles from Portland International Jetport):

People here just launch them from the fields behind their houses and keep them in the back yard. Yee-Ha!! ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:18:02 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:24:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I know what you mean, lol! There are many different designs, but this is the type I see most over my house, (and I'm about 8 miles from Portland International Jetport):

People here just launch them from the fields behind their houses and keep them in the back yard. Yee-Ha!! ;)

That just looks crazy.  Big props to you and all of the other thrill seekers who would go up in that thing, but I'll keep my feet planted firmly on the ground, thank you.  8)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
You have a few choices here

You can go the ultralight route, or as I like to call them "flying lawn chairs".  They also come in the form of powered parachute.  This is the cheapest way to go as far as training is concerned, since no training is required. Still, it's a good idea to get some basic instruction.  The aircraft themselves can be bought or built from kit fairly cheaply...about the price of a good used car.  You can find new or used on ebay, craigslist or in Uncle Henry's.  Be careful buying used.  You don't know who built it and maintained it , or how, and there are no inspection or certification requirements.

Next step up is the Sport Pilot certificate.  A bit more expensive, because you have to take actual lessons from a certified instructor, and prove to an examiner that you are safe enough to get an FAA license.  Not a bad thing, in my book.  It allows you limited daytime privileges in a very light plane to carry yourself and one passenger.  The airplanes must be certified and inspected, so they are more expensive to own and operate, but they are available to rent by the hour, so in the long run renting may be more cost-effective than owning.  I think the cost of training to licensure is $2 - $3k.

From there you can go to Recreational Pilot.  More training, more money, more privileges.  After that is Private Pilot.

Try the Experimental Aircraft Association website, www.eaa.org for good basic info on low-cost flying.  Also hang out at local airports and ask questions.  In your area, there is Biddeford and Sanford for a start.

If you want an adventure, come on down to Sanders Field in Greenland, NH the first week in July.  They will have their annual Yankee Flyers Ultralight Fly-in.  A week of camping, flying and story telling, plus up-close and personal exposure to the men, women and their machines.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
You have a few choices here

You can go the ultralight route, or as I like to call them "flying lawn chairs".  They also come in the form of powered parachute.  This is the cheapest way to go as far as training is concerned, since no training is required. Still, it's a good idea to get some basic instruction.  The aircraft themselves can be bought or built from kit fairly cheaply...about the price of a good used car.  You can find new or used on ebay, craigslist or in Uncle Henry's.  Be careful buying used.  You don't know who built it and maintained it , or how, and there are no inspection or certification requirements.

Next step up is the Sport Pilot certificate.  A bit more expensive, because you have to take actual lessons from a certified instructor, and prove to an examiner that you are safe enough to get an FAA license.  Not a bad thing, in my book.  It allows you limited daytime privileges in a very light plane to carry yourself and one passenger.  The airplanes must be certified and inspected, so they are more expensive to own and operate, but they are available to rent by the hour, so in the long run renting may be more cost-effective than owning.  I think the cost of training to licensure is $2 - $3k.

From there you can go to Recreational Pilot.  More training, more money, more privileges.  After that is Private Pilot.

Try the Experimental Aircraft Association website, www.eaa.org for good basic info on low-cost flying.  Also hang out at local airports and ask questions.  In your area, there is Biddeford and Sanford for a start.

If you want an adventure, come on down to Sanders Field in Greenland, NH the first week in July.  They will have their annual Yankee Flyers Ultralight Fly-in.  A week of camping, flying and story telling, plus up-close and personal exposure to the men, women and their machines.

Wow ... this is really great stuff, BKD! (TP) I'm going to plan for NH on the date you said ... awesome info!

This is what I mean about CB and the amassed wealth of knowledge we have right here to share with each other as a resource.

Thanks so much everyone!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Now its my turn.

I have a very old in-ground swimming pool.  It is gunite with a plaster finish.  Every year when I take the cover off, I have some patching to do on the plaster.

This year, I found that I have a fair amount of broken concrete on the top and edge of one of the steps.  The water is pumped down below the level of the damaged area, and I need to do concrete repairs and re-plaster before I fill and start the pool.

Any ideas on the best materials and methods to make the repairs?
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Now its my turn.

I have a very old in-ground swimming pool.  It is gunite with a plaster finish.  Every year when I take the cover off, I have some patching to do on the plaster.

This year, I found that I have a fair amount of broken concrete on the top and edge of one of the steps.  The water is pumped down below the level of the damaged area, and I need to do concrete repairs and re-plaster before I fill and start the pool.

Any ideas on the best materials and methods to make the repairs?

This is a great pool supply/repair instruction and source site ... you can get supplies at a discount through them as well as all the instruction and tips you need to get it done. I have vinyl over rock dust, and have found this site to be my favorite for just about everything concerning pools. Hope it helps!

http://www.poolcenter.com/poolcare_surface_repair.htm

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Thanks for the site reference.  TP.

I ended up doing the repair in a similar fashion to what the site recommended, mixing gray portland cement (couldn't find white) with marble dust.  Seems pretty strong, although the color doesn't match.

I'll finish up with a skim coat of white pool plaster today.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Ok I have a question in regard to ankle injuries.

So about 3 years ago I had a bad fall and I ended up tearing a ligament in my right ankle. At the time due to some circumstances I wasn't able to get the proper rest needed for the ankle to heal properly....so till now once in a while my ankle starts paining.

Now I had gone to a vacation in India and I ended up spraining my left ankle. Even though this ankle injury wasn't as bad as the other one....its been about a month and the side still hurts a bit when I try to massage it.

So my question is that should I take it easy on my feet/ankle....or should I work out and play sports and stuff like I used. I mean I am 19 and they usually say if you get injured that working out/sports should help with the recovery.

I am not much of a hospital person, but I think I need to get some x-rays done before I end up messing up both my feet; but I just wanted to ask if anyone knew any exercises or anything that helps with an ankle sprain.