Author Topic: Smart's Shot Selection  (Read 7874 times)

Re: Smart's Shot Selection
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Marcus has poor shot selection.   This is because he takes shots late in the shot clock a lot of times and makes for ill-advised and off balanced attempts.  Given that he doesn't have a naturally good shot this compounds his shooting woes.,

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Smart is one of the most overrated Celtics ever. He hustles, that's about it. He's taking up minutes that should be going to Rozier. Time to trade him for Okafor.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wouldn't rule out the idea that Brad is coaching him to be aggressive.  Maybe I am wrong but Brad has a strong belief in Marcus and the last thing he wants is for him to become tentative.  It was evident that our entire bench was pumped when he hit those big shots last night.  The luxury for Brad is that we have plenty of depth and he can pull Marcus if the shots are truly holding back the team on any given night.  More often than not Marcus ends up delivering with a big shot and is a net + while on the court.

I honestly believe Brad is telling Marcus to come out aggressive as soon as his number is called.

I believe you're correct and Brad is 100% complicit in Smart's poor shot selection as he continues to get playing time despite it. I was wondering if any other coach in NBA history has allowed this kinda thing to go on, but if I'm putting in the criteria properly...

The only players in NBA history to average at least 25 minutes a game, attempt at least 4 3's a game, and shoot below 30% from 3 are Marcus Smart, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, and Dennis Smith.

The rooks have a combined 12 games in the NBA so you can pretty much dismiss them, which means Brad Stevens is the only coach in NBA history to let a rotation player shoot this historically bad. Smart also gets blamed for being a player that seems to ignore how bad his shot is, but that's wild.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=1947&year_max=2018&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=fg3a_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=4&c2stat=fg3_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=30&c3stat=mp_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=25&order_by=ws
Iverson did it.  Antoine did it on 3.9 attempts per game.  Rasheed came close.
Both Iverson and Sheed shot over 30% from 3.
It's not specified if he means over a season or in an entire career.  Iverson had 3 seasons under 30% on over 4 attempts.

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:20 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Smart is a winner and raises our chance of winning.  Probably my favorite Celtic.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Smart is a winner and raises our chance of winning.  Probably my favorite Celtic.

Marcus is a game changing defender and a below avg offensive player. Overall, he's a good player.

I am excited to see him play this year with the young guys. He is trying to get better, and confidence comes from making buckets, not passing the ball. It doesn't help the Celtics when he misses, but if they want to rely on him in the future, he needs to get his in-game shots in. Shying away (like Fultz recently) will not serve him well.

That being said, he can be more judicious with his shot selection.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
From Smart over dribbling to his poor shot selection, dude got to go.

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I wouldn't rule out the idea that Brad is coaching him to be aggressive.  Maybe I am wrong but Brad has a strong belief in Marcus and the last thing he wants is for him to become tentative.  It was evident that our entire bench was pumped when he hit those big shots last night.  The luxury for Brad is that we have plenty of depth and he can pull Marcus if the shots are truly holding back the team on any given night.  More often than not Marcus ends up delivering with a big shot and is a net + while on the court.

I honestly believe Brad is telling Marcus to come out aggressive as soon as his number is called.

I believe you're correct and Brad is 100% complicit in Smart's poor shot selection as he continues to get playing time despite it. I was wondering if any other coach in NBA history has allowed this kinda thing to go on, but if I'm putting in the criteria properly...

The only players in NBA history to average at least 25 minutes a game, attempt at least 4 3's a game, and shoot below 30% from 3 are Marcus Smart, Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, and Dennis Smith.

The rooks have a combined 12 games in the NBA so you can pretty much dismiss them, which means Brad Stevens is the only coach in NBA history to let a rotation player shoot this historically bad. Smart also gets blamed for being a player that seems to ignore how bad his shot is, but that's wild.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=1947&year_max=2018&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=fg3a_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=4&c2stat=fg3_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=30&c3stat=mp_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=25&order_by=ws
Iverson did it.  Antoine did it on 3.9 attempts per game.  Rasheed came close.
Both Iverson and Sheed shot over 30% from 3.
It's not specified if he means over a season or in an entire career.  Iverson had 3 seasons under 30% on over 4 attempts.
When he disregarded the rookies, it’s pretty clear he meant career.

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
What's really nuts about there still being complaints about Smart's taking threes is that it's essentially based on a sample of one game, the opener. In the two games he's played since he went 3 for 7 and 2 for 6. In the preseason before that he was nails from three. In the postseason (and April) before that, ditto.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:38:11 AM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1612
Is he really that bad at selecting shots, or are fans predisposed to expect bad shots and therefore see some average or even good shots as bad? I think the latter. He gets criticized for taking shots early in the clock, late in the clock, and even in the middle of the clock. There is no time at which some fans think it's a good time for him to take a shot, any shot.

I mean when you are among the worst shot makers in league history this is not an unreasonable take. Every so often he'll make 3's when they count, but the defense will live with that each and every single night. A Celtic possession that ends with a Marcus Smart 3-point attempt was a good possession for the opposing team.

lol i will say this.........he made a 3 the other night........i told my wife watch.......next trip down floor he will force another 3 regardless who else is open or has a better higher % shot down low......sure enough.he shoots and it is a BRICK. so predictable.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Did you miss the two screens he set for Horford after he identified and alerted Horford resulted in two wide open threes that Horford hit.

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 562
What's really nuts about there still being complaints about Smart's taking threes is that it's essentially based on a sample of one game, the opener. In the two games he's played since he went 3 for 7 and 2 for 6. In the preseason before that he was nails from three. In the postseason (and April) before that, ditto.

NO, its based off three full seasons of data suggesting he is one of the worst three point volumes shooter to ever chuck in the NBA. Now can that change? Yes, even bad shooter can become good shooters, its a skill that can improve for players. However he needs to do it for more than a couple games before he gets the benefit of the doubt. If he shoots league average FOR THE SEASON then we can revisit whether he should be shooting less than 8 seconds into the clock. Untill then then answer is no. He also needs to stop h=throwing one up every time he makes one and stop shooting off the dribble. Stick to the corners and the 4th quarter.

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
HIs shot selection is always poor because his biggest offensive asset to the team is driving the lane and getting in the paint. He doesn’t do it nearly enough.

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja

NO, its based off three full seasons of data suggesting he is one of the worst three point volumes shooter to ever chuck in the NBA. Now can that change? Yes, even bad shooter can become good shooters, its a skill that can improve for players. However he needs to do it for more than a couple games before he gets the benefit of the doubt. If he shoots league average FOR THE SEASON then we can revisit whether he should be shooting less than 8 seconds into the clock. Untill then then answer is no. He also needs to stop h=throwing one up every time he makes one and stop shooting off the dribble. Stick to the corners and the 4th quarter.
does this calculation take into account that smart has changed his shooting form during the off season?

i think his career long poor shooting may stem from a pair of factors: 1. poor shooting form. 2. poor shot selection. (while under pressure, not a good location, or end of clock.)

based upon games since changing his form, his 3 point shooting may be getting better WHEN he takes a good shot selection.

i believe smart is among the league leaders in taking last second 3 pointers with time running out. i remember some discussion here about that. that doesnt kill his shooting percentages, but it certainly doesnt boost them

also, from the corners, smart is above nba average for 3 pointers for his career. so, he is a good 3 point shooting in the RIGHT situation.

why he insists upon putting up shots from bad locations on the floor (for him) is the puzzler for me.

given the changes in his shooting form and the sss on this season's 3 pointers, i am content to wait and see on this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Is it possible his aggressive physical defense interferes with with a more calculating ,finesse type of point guard-does his adrenaline level get jacked.
This guy feels no pain diving for loose balls ,no fear--i personally don't care because of his defense and little things he does plus the clutch factor
But i had hoped his shooting for numbers would improve

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

The trend has been good since April.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.