Author Topic: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?  (Read 19989 times)

(Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just to fight the boredom I ran a tankathon lottery, made a mock based off of my opinion and the major media big boards/mocks and brought it to pick #17

1. ATL         Edwards (in theory great fit as their 2nd initiator)
2. NYK        Ball ( not sure how well Ball and Barret fit but Lamelo has talent and will but people in the seats)
3. GS          Hayes (Okongwu is tempting but Im going to stick with my idea that they don't spend draft capital on a big)
4. Wiz        Okongwu (hard team to project Vassell fits but feels to high, went with Big who is ready to play)
5. Cavs      Okoro (glue type guys who their roster can use, if he develops his shot a nice piece moving forward)
6. Minn       Vassell (they have to prioritize defenders on the court with KAT and Russell)
7. Det         Hampton (they need guards and Hampton has a high ceiling)
8. Bulls       Toppin ( offensive production should be great but D scares me Bulls could be nice fit)
9. Hornets  Wiseman (nice landing spot for Wiseman could also see him going 4 and Okongwu going here)
10. Suns     Haliburton ( unique player who could be a good fit playing off of Booker)
11. Spurs    Avdija (if he falls this fare he could luck into the spurs roster)
12. Kings    Maxey ( left field idea maybe they use this pick and Hield to trade up with ATL for Edwards?)
13. NO        Nesmith (adding an elite shooter to space for Zion makes sense)
14. Blazers P Williams (blazers usually like the utility forward types)
15. Magic    C Anthony ( free fall ends, if Cole can shoot he and Fultz could be interesting)
16. Min        S Bey (smart player who can shoot and can help them win games now)

17. Top two players on my board would be Tier 4 Terry and Bolmaro. Maledon, Tillman, Green and Mannion are also available in this tier. I am so close on Terry/Bolmaro that it would come down to Bolmaro's willingness to draft and stash a season. If he is then he is the pick if not I would go Terry.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:57:31 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wonder, if in this scenario, the Hornets would take three firsts this year for Wiseman?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Wonder, if in this scenario, the Hornets would take three firsts this year for Wiseman?

given DAs failed (thank god) attempt in the past to trade up with Hornets for Winslow I'm guessing thats not happening. Also Hornets roster is more in need of consolidation then depth. For the Hornets Wiseman is actually a really nice fit. He would replace Biyombo and push Zeller for starting center spot. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just to fight the boredom I ran a tankathon lottery, made a mock based off of my opinion and the major media big boards/mocks and brought it to pick #17

2. NYK        Ball ( not sure how well Ball and Barret fit but Lamelo has talent and will but people in the seats)
3. GS          Hayes (Okongwu is tempting but Im going to stick with my idea that they don't spend draft capital on a big)
4. Wiz        Okongwu (hard team to project Vassell fits but feels to high, went with Big who is ready to play)
5. Cavs      Okoro (glue type guys who their roster can use, if he develops his shot a nice piece moving forward)
6. Minn       Vassell (they have to prioritize defenders on the court with KAT and Russell)
8. Bulls       Toppin ( offensive production should be great but D scares me Bulls could be nice fit)
9. Hornets  Wiseman (nice landing spot for Wiseman could also see him going 4 and Okongwu going here)
10. Suns     Haliburton ( unique player who could be a good fit playing off of Booker)
12. Kings    Maxey ( left field idea maybe they use this pick and Hield to trade up with ATL for Edwards?)
15. Magic    C Anthony ( free fall ends, if Cole can shoot he and Fultz could be interesting)
16. Min        S Bey (smart player who can shoot and can help them win games now)

17. Top two players on my board would be Tier 4 Terry and Bolmaro. Maledon, Tillman, Green and Mannion are also available in this tier. I am so close on Terry/Bolmaro that it would come down to Bolmaro's willingness to draft and stash a season. If he is then he is the pick if not I would go Terry.

I think you have Terry too high. I doubt he is selected in first round. He has slow release from 3. He is undersized guard at 6'2".  Hard to see him playing PG in NBA, just doesn't have the elite speed or quickness he would need given his lack of height/length.  Granted he is elite shooter, but with slow release/lack of length, expect he will struggle to get his shot off.

Bolmaro is criticized for his lack of foot speed.  I think there is a role for him in NBA as back up, but he will have to get a lot stronger.    I think Danny learned valuable lesson a few seasons ago when he drafted Yabusele and Zizic due to stashing feature.  I'd rather he focus on BPA and not worry about roster space.  That is what 2 way contracts are for.

Seems like are team building focus should continue to be elite defense and athleticism.  Our young core (Tatum, Brown, R and G Williams and Langford meet that criteria.  Obviously would be great to find someone who not only meets that, but also has a great shot.  Unfortunately, those guys will be taken before we select. That is why Vassell is suddenly climbing up everyone's Board. Like you, Chad Ford and John Hollinger now have him in top 10 (Hollinger currently has him slated at 8).

You are among CS' leading experts on draft; I greatly appreciate the time you put into analyzing it.  What are your thoughts on Maledon?  Seems to have good swing (1/2) guard size and feel. Plus you could stash him for a year if you worried about eating roster spot (this would be a bonus). His 76% FT shooting is decent indicator he will become a pretty good 3 point shooter. 

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I think you have Terry too high. I doubt he is selected in first round. He has slow release from 3. He is undersized guard at 6'2".  Hard to see him playing PG in NBA, just doesn't have the elite speed or quickness he would need given his lack of height/length.  Granted he is elite shooter, but with slow release/lack of length, expect he will struggle to get his shot off.

Bolmaro is criticized for his lack of foot speed.  I think there is a role for him in NBA as back up, but he will have to get a lot stronger.    I think Danny learned valuable lesson a few seasons ago when he drafted Yabusele and Zizic due to stashing feature.  I'd rather he focus on BPA and not worry about roster space.  That is what 2 way contracts are for.

Seems like are team building focus should continue to be elite defense and athleticism.  Our young core (Tatum, Brown, R and G Williams and Langford meet that criteria.  Obviously would be great to find someone who not only meets that, but also has a great shot.  Unfortunately, those guys will be taken before we select. That is why Vassell is suddenly climbing up everyone's Board. Like you, Chad Ford and John Hollinger now have him in top 10 (Hollinger currently has him slated at 8).

You are among CS' leading experts on draft; I greatly appreciate the time you put into analyzing it.  What are your thoughts on Maledon?  Seems to have good swing (1/2) guard size and feel. Plus you could stash him for a year if you worried about eating roster spot (this would be a bonus). His 76% FT shooting is decent indicator he will become a pretty good 3 point shooter.

Terry, I agree his physical profile is scary. I do think Terry has the potential to be one of the best shooters in the NBA and he has a few surprising outliers in his stat line. He averaged 5 rebounds be 36min the same as Okoro and S Bey. He also finished 60% of his (96) FGA in the paint. To compare Young finished 52% on 201FGA and Kemba as a Junior was 58% on 196FGA.  I also would be suprised if he leaves college if he doesn't have a safety net in the late 1st round.

Bolmaro, I have been all over with him in my rankings but I am confident that he will be a legit secondary initiation at 6'7/6'8 and will be a solid on ball defender. If he can consistently shoot his size and skill are very valuable in today's NBA.

Maledon, I like him right in the mix with Terry and Bolmaro. He has great PG size (measurements are about the same as Jordon Clarkson) and looks like he will be a shooter in the NBA. I also like the fact that he is apparently been taken under the wing of Tony Parker. Prior to learning about Terry and Bolmaro he was one one of my favorites as a potential CS target. I like the idea of developing a bigger shooting PG to play off of Tatum/Smart/Brown in the future. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

given DAs failed (thank god) attempt in the past to trade up with Hornets for Winslow I'm guessing that's not happening. Also Hornets roster is more in need of consolidation then depth. For the Hornets Wiseman is actually a really nice fit. He would replace Biyombo and push Zeller for starting center spot.

It is now clear to everyone that Charlotte messed up bad not trading with Boton that year.  Frank Kaminsky isn't even on their team any more.  It is possible that with all the perceived parody in the daft MJ might be afraid to get flamed again for blowing such a generous offer.     I'd give up 17, 30 and next years 1st.  I'd throw in Edwards and Ojeleye, maybe even a third player.  I take Wiseman at 9 then Jalen Smith at 26.  I think that would make for a killer starting five in a year or two, and go a long way to improving our size issues.   
PG Kemba   6'0, w/ 6'4 Wingspan
SG Brown    6'6, w/ 7'0 Wingspan
SF Tatum    6'8, w/ 6'11 Wingspan
PF Smith     6'10, w/ 7'1.5 Wingspan
C  Wiseman 7'1, w/ 7'6 Wingspan

All really unlikely as I believe GSW take wiseman #1, or at least I think they should.  I see a lot of PG/SG love on these mocks for players that don't really distinguish themselves from each other and I just can't believe a unique talent like Wiseman drops to 9.  I see anti Wiseman sentiment on various posts around this blog and I don't get it. 

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 12:48:07 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

First round picks are not eligible for first round contracts.  They don't help with the roster issues at all (but could help if we had a bunch of second round picks instead)

If we need more roster spots, trading the 26 and 30 picks for early second rounders (or future protected picks) would help a lot
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:00:35 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I'd throw Langford in too.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Wow. Just wow. What a thought. Maybe them turning it down several years ago would be enough for them to not want to balk this time.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Terry, I agree his physical profile is scary. I do think Terry has the potential to be one of the best shooters in the NBA and he has a few surprising outliers in his stat line. He averaged 5 rebounds be 36min the same as Okoro and S Bey. He also finished 60% of his (96) FGA in the paint. To compare Young finished 52% on 201FGA and Kemba as a Junior was 58% on 196FGA.  I also would be suprised if he leaves college if he doesn't have a safety net in the late 1st round.

Bolmaro, I have been all over with him in my rankings but I am confident that he will be a legit secondary initiation at 6'7/6'8 and will be a solid on ball defender. If he can consistently shoot his size and skill are very valuable in today's NBA.

Maledon, I like him right in the mix with Terry and Bolmaro. He has great PG size (measurements are about the same as Jordon Clarkson) and looks like he will be a shooter in the NBA. I also like the fact that he is apparently been taken under the wing of Tony Parker. Prior to learning about Terry and Bolmaro he was one one of my favorites as a potential CS target. I like the idea of developing a bigger shooting PG to play off of Tatum/Smart/Brown in the future.

Funny, I see some of Tony's game in the way he plays; I did not know that Parker was tutoring him.  Kid seems to have really good court vision. Would be cool to see him develop as our starting PG in a couple of years when Kemba is on back nine.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Wow. Just wow. What a thought. Maybe them turning it down several years ago would be enough for them to not want to balk this time.
Only difference people are overlooking is the talent gap between Wiseman and Kaminsky. No way they pass up Wiseman.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 02:30:06 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Would love us to trade up for Wiseman. It's highly unlikely that he'll be available at #9, but that's a whole nother story.

Alternatively:

- Trade #17 + #26 + #30 to Phoenix for #10 (Haliburton)
- Trade Kemba + Theis* + Romeo* to Philly for Simmons + Mike Scott
*(or any combo of Theis/Romeo/G-Will/Kanter/Timelord/Semi/Edwards)
- Dump Poirier. Worst case scenario, just cut him.

Smart - Haliburton - Wanamaker
Brown - Edwards
Hayward - Scott - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams
Simmons - Kanter - Timelord

Fill the remaining roster spots via free agency/draft (Nets second rounder).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:47:22 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think it could be

17. Josh Green
26. Tyler Bey
30. Aleksej Pokuševski (draft and stash)

Green and Bey are two of the top defenders of the draft.  Pokusevski (per highlights) has shown Porginzis level skills per size.  Draft and stash him

C- Robert Williams/Theis/Kanter
PF- Tatum/Grant Williams
SF- Hayward/Langford/Bey
SG- Brown/Smart/Green/Bey
PG- Walker/Smart/Green

G league
Waters, Edwards, Fall

Adios
Wannamaker, Semi, Javonte Green, Poirier

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Would love us to trade up for Wiseman. It's highly unlikely that he'll be available at #9, but that's a whole nother story.

Alternatively:

Brown - Edwards
Hayward - Scott - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I would not trade 3 1st for Haliburton.  He may be good but how much better than Theo Maledon or RJ Hampton who could possibly be had at 17.   I don't know that I would trade 3 1st rounders for any of the guards in this draft. 

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Alternatively:

Brown - Edwards
Hayward - Scott - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I would not trade 3 1st for Haliburton.  He may be good but how much better than Theo Maledon or RJ Hampton who could possibly be had at 17.   I don't know that I would trade 3 1st rounders for any of the guards in this draft.
Imo, he might be the best player in the draft. He reminds me of SGA. I would happily trade our 3 firsts for Haliburton. Having said that, I don't think he'll be available at #10. Not sure whether our 3 firsts would be enough to get the job done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:39:14 PM by Jvalin »