Author Topic: 2024 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 9608 times)

2024 Red Sox Season Thread
« on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Here's the season thread for Red Sox 2024. What a week for some Boston sports teams like the Celtics and Patriots.

But nice win over Seattle yesterday!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: 2024 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 02:25:09 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1810
162-0.... Go Bosox
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 02:29:38 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I was think the same thing.  On pace for 162 wins.  Longest current win streak in major Boston sports.  Go Sox.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 02:31:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Part of me is honestly hoping they win like 65 games and Fenway is a ghost town during the summer so Henry either wants to sell or tries to put a real team together out of embarassment/losing some money.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 02:40:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sadly, I hope they bottom out and send this ownership team a message. Don't take the fans for granted.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:25:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Part of me is honestly hoping they win like 65 games and Fenway is a ghost town during the summer so Henry either wants to sell or tries to put a real team together out of embarassment/losing some money.

That's basically where I'm at. The "Let's just enjoy baseball!" part of me wants them to succeed, but the "Something drastic needs to change" part of me wants an utter disaster of a product this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 09:43:02 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Go Sox!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 10:10:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Sadly, I hope they bottom out and send this ownership team a message. Don't take the fans for granted.

What about not taking the team for granted? They have a bunch of young players that could be exciting, such as Casas, Bello, Rafaela, and Duran. They have played one game and people want to boycott the team already?!?

I watched last night. It was an entertaining product.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 11:14:09 PM »

• Satch Sanders

What about not taking the team for granted? They have a bunch of young players that could be exciting, such as Casas, Bello, Rafaela, and Duran. They have played one game and people want to boycott the team already?!?

Some of us want to boycott because of management's attitude and approach over the last five years, which has basically been to cheap out for the most part (except for Devers and Story) and wait for the next core group to develop. Even though the Sox had an awesome core group a few years ago in Betts, Bogaerts, and Devers and decided to keep only one of those guys. In the last two seasons, the Sox were doing fairly well in the first half of the season, yet the team did next to nothing at the deadline those two seasons, basically signaling to the players and the fans that they weren't really interested in competing anytime soon. Yes, they have some good young players now, but not nearly enough to field a solid playoff-caliber team, especially when it comes to the pitching staff, which is piecemeal and mediocre. They looked pretty good last night, yes, but tonight they're getting skunked through six. Seeing young players develop brings a certain type of enjoyment, but for those of us who want to see winning baseball—a team worthy of Boston's place in baseball history as one of its more successful franchises—we don't want to see bridge/rebuilding periods last more than few years, and we're now on year six.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 11:53:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Some of us want to boycott because of management's attitude and approach over the last five years, which has basically been to cheap out for the most part (except for Devers and Story) and wait for the next core group to develop. Even though the Sox had an awesome core group a few years ago in Betts, Bogaerts, and Devers and decided to keep only one of those guys. In the last two seasons, the Sox were doing fairly well in the first half of the season, yet the team did next to nothing at the deadline those two seasons, basically signaling to the players and the fans that they weren't really interested in competing anytime soon. Yes, they have some good young players now, but not nearly enough to field a solid playoff-caliber team, especially when it comes to the pitching staff, which is piecemeal and mediocre. They looked pretty good last night, yes, but tonight they're getting skunked through six. Seeing young players develop brings a certain type of enjoyment, but for those of us who want to see winning baseball—a team worthy of Boston's place in baseball history as one of its more successful franchises—we don't want to see bridge/rebuilding periods last more than few years, and we're now on year six.

I agree that we don't want to see a prolonged rebuild. It's annoying and there's no debate that the Fenway group lied about going full throttle. They haven't. Between owning other sports franchises and their investment in Fenway Corners, the on-the field product has taken a hit since their last championship in 2018.

The only issue I take with your comment is about Boston's history. The Fenway sports group is by far the most influential and positive ownership group in the long history of the Red Sox. The 86 year curse was the outstanding legacy prior to 2004. Sprinkled in there were a couple of good teams and some incredible players, including Ted Williams, Yaz, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, and Roger Clemens. Red Sox history is known for disappointment. Their previous WS win in 1918 occurred with 16 teams in the league, with a grand total of 239 home runs for all teams for the whole year! In fact, there were 18 games played throughout the league before one home run was hit. It truly was a different sport back then.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 02:32:44 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373

That's basically where I'm at. The "Let's just enjoy baseball!" part of me wants them to succeed, but the "Something drastic needs to change" part of me wants an utter disaster of a product this season.

Well nobody is expecting much from this team, NYT has them coming dead last again.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 06:28:27 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
I'm still a bit mystified as to this team's seeming lack of concern for the pitching staff. Add a couple good arms and you have a puncher's chance in this sport.

If this is about the luxury tax/money then the owners are very bad at math. Ratings are a fraction of what they were pre-pandemic, and the box office is going to take a hit for sure. I don't see any way this doesn't hurt their bottom line.

The only thing I can think of is that they are hoarding their compensatory picks like the Rays always have. Don't sign anyone who costs a pick, and don't re-sign anyone who will net you a pick if you let them leave. Build an elite home-grown core and keep it going indefinitely. I very much hope this is the long-term plan. Because nothing else makes sense.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 11:02:48 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Really baffles me that Bobby Trashbec is still on this team. Not sure how the hell he's survived on this roster all this time. I read a stat somewhere that in his last 110 ABs, he's struck out like 55 of them. Even last night, came up twice in crucial moments and did nada. One of them was against a LHP which in theory he's supposed to dominate and he just meekly struck out again.  ::)

He's your glorified Triple-A player. Nothing more.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Really baffles me that Bobby Trashbec is still on this team. Not sure how the hell he's survived on this roster all this time. I read a stat somewhere that in his last 110 ABs, he's struck out like 55 of them. Even last night, came up twice in crucial moments and did nada. One of them was against a LHP which in theory he's supposed to dominate and he just meekly struck out again.  ::)

He's your glorified Triple-A player. Nothing more.

Yeah, but is he cheap?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 04:01:33 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I agree that we don't want to see a prolonged rebuild. It's annoying and there's no debate that the Fenway group lied about going full throttle. They haven't. Between owning other sports franchises and their investment in Fenway Corners, the on-the field product has taken a hit since their last championship in 2018.

The only issue I take with your comment is about Boston's history. The Fenway sports group is by far the most influential and positive ownership group in the long history of the Red Sox. The 86 year curse was the outstanding legacy prior to 2004. Sprinkled in there were a couple of good teams and some incredible players, including Ted Williams, Yaz, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, and Roger Clemens. Red Sox history is known for disappointment. Their previous WS win in 1918 occurred with 16 teams in the league, with a grand total of 239 home runs for all teams for the whole year! In fact, there were 18 games played throughout the league before one home run was hit. It truly was a different sport back then.

I agree that this ownership group did a lot in its first 20 years and helped break the curse. That was big. And 4 titles is big. I just don't get why they (seemingly) suddenly stopped caring after 2018. Like, "Ah, that's plenty, we can forget about the Sox now and focus on the Penguins."

— C.S. Lewis