Author Topic: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity? (Merged)  (Read 30282 times)

Re: The Hayward S&T: Missed Opportunity?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Myles Turner is the exact same player this year that he always is. He's blocking better, shooting the 3 abhorrently, and showing the ever-present inability to rebound and pass. He's fouling more, but that's probably an extension of his block-hunting. His lack of improvement would kill people around here.

Career highs in blocks, steals, 2p%, and eFG%.  His turnover rate is a career low.

And, his 3PT% isn’t abhorrent; it’s 33.3%, which equates to 50% efficiency.  That’s fairly impressive, since he started the year 1-for-12.
33% on 4 attempts is bad, and should be criticised. He's shooting 2% better from deep than Giannis and they're both taking roughly the same amount of threes - you wouldn't say Giannis has been fairly impressive shooting the ball since starting 4-16 from 3, would you?

I'm not saying Turner wouldn't have helped. But he isn't the saviour some think he is. He would be harshly criticised around here, because we love to cannibalise our own.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
33% on 4 attempts is bad, and should be criticised.

Disagree.  It’s a perfectly acceptable rate for a center. Again, it’s the same as shooting 50% from inside the line. Does anybody get criticized for that?

And, outside of his first three games, he is shooting 38.9% from three point range.

He’s not a savior, but he would be a pretty good fourth option right now, and McDermott would help as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 07:58:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Disagree.  It’s a perfectly acceptable rate for a center. Again, it’s the same as shooting 50% from inside the line. Does anybody get criticized for that?

And, outside of his first three games, he is shooting 38.9% from three point range.

He’s not a savior, but he would be a pretty good fourth option right now, and McDermott would help as well.
This analysis doesn't hold up really at all. 33% from 3 gives up more possessions to the opposition and slows the offence more than 50% inside the arc. It's not as simple as that equation.

It's all pretty irrelevant given that it wasn't really in our hands

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 08:07:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This analysis doesn't hold up really at all. 33% from 3 gives up more possessions to the opposition and slows the offence more than 50% inside the arc. It's not as simple as that equation.

It's all pretty irrelevant given that it wasn't really in our hands

I think that it was in Danny’s hands. If Danny had accepted Turner in trade, he would be here.  Hayward wanted to go to Indiana, and Indiana has suggested that Hayward would have signed there.

It’s water under the bridge now, but it will always be a “what if” with this team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 08:18:57 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I was under the impression that all of this became irrelevant when Hayward chose to go to Charlotte.

Did I miss something?  Was there a point at which we could have completed a deal with Indy?

It’s hard to say, but Indy’s GM strongly implied that Hayward would have been a Pacer had the Celtics agreed to terms.

Are you kidding me ??

If true - that is completely unacceptable.
Is this more of Danny's obsession with small ball ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 08:22:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I was under the impression that all of this became irrelevant when Hayward chose to go to Charlotte.

Did I miss something?  Was there a point at which we could have completed a deal with Indy?

It’s hard to say, but Indy’s GM strongly implied that Hayward would have been a Pacer had the Celtics agreed to terms.

Are you kidding me ??

You can never say 100%, but that seems to be the story that is out there. We will never know if Danny was just playing hardball, if he thought he had more time, or if he just truly preferred a trade exception over taking on Turner.

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Are you kidding me ??

Well in theory Turner would have been Danny’s and brads type of center. Small ball center. Pritchard is in record saying he overplayed his hand because he didn’t want to drag negotiations. It was absolutely in Danny’s hands. The only acceptable excuse to me would be - Danny was worried Pacers would become an excellent team and be a problem in the playoffs .

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It mostly seems to me that it's the Indiana people putting out this story. Oozing bitterness because Hayward is averaging 23/5/4 on 50/40/90 (career year?)

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2021, 08:30:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It mostly seems to me that it's the Indiana people putting out this story. Oozing bitterness because Hayward is averaging 23/5/4 on 50/40/90 (career year?)

I think the stories broke before the season started. But, I think pretty much all of the stories suggest that Turner plus McDermott was on the table and that Danny targeted different guys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:45:35 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

Are you kidding me ??

Well in theory Turner would have been Danny’s and brads type of center. Small ball center. Pritchard is in record saying he overplayed his hand because he didn’t want to drag negotiations. It was absolutely in Danny’s hands. The only acceptable excuse to me would be - Danny was worried Pacers would become an excellent team and be a problem in the playoffs .

Making player decisions based on fear of an opponent ? That is a loser mentality.

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2021, 08:35:47 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Are you kidding me ??

Making player decisions based on fear of an opponent ? That is a loser mentality.
It happens all the time . See harden trade. He was sent to the eastern conference so Houston don’t have to play him in the playoffs . It’s a relatively standard practice in the nba

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
You are right about that .......................... and there are a lot of losers in the NBA.

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Are you kidding me ??

I mean, this is a pretty valid point that I had mentioned earlier in this thread. Hayward on Indy makes them like a top 2 team in the East for the next few years. Brogdon/Oladipo(now Levert)/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis is an extremely balanced team.

I also think Ainge didn’t want Turner. He wanted Warren. Warren would have been a good fit on this team.

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Are you kidding me ??

I think that absolutely played a part in Ainge hardballing the Pacers - their offence would explode with a guy like Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Worth noting that Indy's GM has every reason to paint himself in a favorable light.  Blaming everything on Ainge softens the blow for a fanbase that thought they were about to land a very good player. 

So I wouldn't take his word as gospel.  Doubt we'll ever know the unvarnished truth.