Author Topic: Knicks seriously considering trading down if Wiseman is taken  (Read 8131 times)

Re: Knicks seriously considering trading down if Wiseman is taken
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 11:53:48 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I keep hearing everyone in the top wants to trade down in this draft. Anyone know what that's about?

imo this draft is best at 4-10.  I think a handful of the 4-10 picks will have equal or better careers than Edwards, Ball, Wiseman.  But I'm not sure which ones of course.

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
an alternative way to look at this report would be to question if the Knicks are willing to trade up for Wiseman.

Would Hornets or Warriors trade #2 or #3 for #8, Robinson, and #27?

Seems like a solid option for both teams. Robinson might not have the ceiling of Wiseman but he is cheap for 2 seasons and especially makes sense for the Warriors.

Either team could be looking at trading essentially Wiseman for Robinson, #8(Okoro/Haliburton/Advija), and #27(Bane/Maledon/T Bey)
Never thought about that from Golden State’s perspective. Really makes sense. They’ve done more with less (Looney, Bell, Zaza) and pick 8 is still a handy player.

They would however lose their really only way of ridding themselves of Wiggins

I believe they also own a 2021 protected that becomes a 2022 unprotected 1st from Minn. This could be a huge future asset given Minn track record and the potential for a double draft down the road. I also think Wiggins will play well next to Curt, Klay, and Green. The Minn pick + improvement from Wiggins shouldn't make moving him an issue.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 01:13:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I keep hearing everyone in the top wants to trade down in this draft. Anyone know what that's about?

A top pick brings pressure to succeed onto the GM and the player, this draft really lacks in top end talent. Most seem to agree that this class lacks project able all-stars. Maybe Ball, Edwards, Wiseman, or a longer shot Hampton have that type of ceiling but they are in no way sure things. The top picks are also hitting the cap around 10mill per season. This is a big number for a team like GS who has to deal with luxury tax. They dont want to be a win now team paying a huge tax bill for a rookie who isn't ready to contribute. After the perceived Ball,Edwards, Wiseman top 5 there is a nice group of role player type guys who are more likely to contribute as rookies while also providing high end starter level upside (Okongwu, Okoro, Advija, Hayes, Haliburton)

The real strength of this class is likely to come from the 25-45 range. The class has a really nice group of project able bottom end starter/top 3 guys off the bench types. With proper development teams are going to be able to hit on cheap young role players to round out a bench.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I can see the Knicks wanting to trade down.  They are not likely to get one of the big names at #8.  The conventional wisdom with this draft is that you can get as good a player at #12 or #16 as you can at #8 and pay less while you are at it.  Plus you pick up something, another pick or a young player for trading down.  It makes sense but this same logic leads to the conclusion that it is not worth it for the Celtics to try and trade up to #8.

Golden State can apply different reasoning but come to the same conclusion.  They are totally win now.  Unless you think one of these top guys is a next franchise level player, it is more valuable to them to get a veteran player who can help them now.  They can't afford to tie up money on a player to sit on the bench.

The rumors are that the Knicks might be interested in Chris Paul.  If that is true, I would think that Kemba Walker would appeal to them as well.  This makes sense and I think there is potential for a deal there (say Celtics get #8, first round next year,  Portis, and a trade exemption to use in a sign and trade to get Gallinari; in exchange for Kemba, and #30). 

Something like this wouldn't shock me but of course like any trade, is unlikely.  I feel the trade exemption that we would get out of something like this is very valuable and could be a pathway to get some size in a subsequent trade (or sign and trade) that we really need.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:50:13 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
an alternative way to look at this report would be to question if the Knicks are willing to trade up for Wiseman.

Would Hornets or Warriors trade #2 or #3 for #8, Robinson, and #27?

Seems like a solid option for both teams. Robinson might not have the ceiling of Wiseman but he is cheap for 2 seasons and especially makes sense for the Warriors.

Either team could be looking at trading essentially Wiseman for Robinson, #8(Okoro/Haliburton/Advija), and #27(Bane/Maledon/T Bey)
Never thought about that from Golden State’s perspective. Really makes sense. They’ve done more with less (Looney, Bell, Zaza) and pick 8 is still a handy player.

They would however lose their really only way of ridding themselves of Wiggins

I believe they also own a 2021 protected that becomes a 2022 unprotected 1st from Minn. This could be a huge future asset given Minn track record and the potential for a double draft down the road. I also think Wiggins will play well next to Curt, Klay, and Green. The Minn pick + improvement from Wiggins shouldn't make moving him an issue.

I think Wiggins will be fantastic in Golden State. Scary