Author Topic: Current Celtics Assistant Coach Jerome Allen admits he accepted $300k in bribes  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston Celtics assistant coach Jerome Allen testified that he took about $300,000 in wire transfer bribes while he was the head coach at Penn to give a scholarship to the son of a Florida businessman, according to Scott Gleeson of USA Today.

In October, Allen pleaded guilty to bribery charges and there is a chance he sees time in prison. Back in July, it was reported that Allen received money from Philip Esformes to get his son Morris Esformes into Penn.

Allen admitted to receiving bags with $10,000 of cash in them prior to the wire transfers starting. He added that former Penn assistant Ira Bowman, who is now at Auburn, was aware of the bribery after Allen left the program in 2015.

So, water under the bridge, or something that the Celtics need to deal with?

As always, financial crimes are treated differently than other crime. If Allen had stolen $1000 from a friend or a store, there’s no way that he’d be coaching.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jeez, this thing has seemed to ensnare everyone.  There was a warrant out for the arrest of Aunt Becky from Full House, of all people, on this today.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He ought to quit, but yes I think the C's should consider letting him go... bad optics with the current hubub.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Jeez, this thing has seemed to ensnare everyone.  There was a warrant out for the arrest of Aunt Becky from Full House, of all people, on this today.

Yeah, I saw that. Isn’t being the daughter of a celebrity enough to get you into college these days? And why not make a donation to the school — the old-fashioned way of greasing the skids — rather than going through a fixer?

Also, kids are getting paid to get a 1400 on their SATs on behalf of somebody else? I might need to get a side job; I thought the ringers would at least be in the low 1500s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Makes you wonder why these celebs didn't just go to the colleges and give them a "donation" to the colleges so they would admit their kids. I am sure that's how the very rich have gotten their kids into colleges they didn't deserve to get into for decades.

This whole thing will come to nothing. Some people will lose their current jobs and the people accused of paying the bribes will see no jail time and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist having to do some community service.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Makes you wonder why these celebs didn't just go to the colleges and give them a "donation" to the colleges so they would admit their kids. I am sure that's how the very rich have gotten their kids into colleges they didn't deserve to get into for decades.

This whole thing will come to nothing. Some people will lose their current jobs and the people accused of paying the bribes will see no jail time and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist having to do some community service.

... and very quickly, things will go back to business as usual, with new bribers and bribe-takers.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

... and very quickly, things will go back to business as usual, with new bribers and bribe-takers.
True, but it's been a very long standing avenue for the rich to go to to get their kids into top schools if their high school grades and SAT scores weren't good. When did schools stop doing this?

Seems like falsifying SATs and paying off coaches to open up athletic spots for the incoming student is a lot, lot more work. Just tell the school you will make a donation to rebuild a new IT lab, or refurbish some huge lecture halls, or whatever if they accept the kid into the school.

And is that way of doing things illegal? Does a private school not have the right to allow whoever they want into their schools?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:54:39 PM by nickagneta »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Or Christian Holly from the greatest movie ever made...RAD!

In all seriousness, though, I do also love Full House (and Fuller House!)

Okay, but really, I have no idea what these celebs are thinking. Unless your kid is a total numbskull, this just doesn't seem necessary at all.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He should be gone.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yup...just do what the Trumps do. I think Jr got in after a $1.5 million donation to Penn.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Yup...just do what the Trumps do. I think Jr got in after a $1.5 million donation to Penn.

The same thing that the Clintons did with Chelsea at Stanford. A donation of a cool 2 Mill came directly out of the old Foundation.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm giving Jerome and Lori a pass on this one. I think in the end we all learned a valuable lesson [cue Full House emotional denouement music]

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
And this guy is an assistant coach for the Cs??

Nice!

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
All coaches do It

He just got caught

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
All coaches do It

He just got caught

I think the coaches are often the ones funneling the money to recruits, rather than taking money to admit an underqualified student into school.

Coach K, for instance, isn’t letting some scrub onto his team because he gets a bribe from mommy and daddy.