Author Topic: Espn anchors: "Lakers/Celtics isn't a rivalry anymore"  (Read 3997 times)

Re: Espn anchors: "Lakers/Celtics isn't a rivalry anymore"
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Jalen Rose is right. How can you call it a rivalry when Kyrie and Lebron are making out after the game is over?

Give me this
over this

Rivalries go thru ebbs and flows - Celtics-Lakers & Celtics-Sixers are the great rivalries in the NBA. There are a few others, but they don't rank with these two. Part of our problem in this country these days, no respect for history.

These are the same talking heads who now refer to the Celtics as the second most storied franchise in league history. I still laugh at all these NBA players who took their beatings at the hands of the Celtics and still make cutting remarks towards us, years later. Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Kurt Rambis, Kareem, Wilt, Jalen Rose, Chauncey Billups, etc. - all still bitter.

Having said that, I 100% agree with Gpap on the post-game love-in. I cannot stand all the hugging after every NBA game and Irving and James with their  long hug and then the ridiculous covering of mouths turned my stomach - such self-importance.

I too would much rather players throw each other down by their necks than be friendly to each other after the game's over.

Instead of shaking hands and saying well played they can slap each other in the face  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 04:13:57 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Biggest historic rivalries in sports

Lakers/Celtics
Red Sox/Yankees
Packers/Bears

US sports.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Isn't the Kyrie-LeBron thing a story in and of itself? Like, former teammates who have become rivals?

I hope the Lakers suck for decades. But if they do become good, the Kyrie-LeBron connection will be jacked up to 11 by these same ESPN "analysts".

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 08:47:57 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
kick m in the nads mate

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I do think it's still a rivalry but I think it starts at the top and ultimately makes it's way down to the players. maybe there is no hatred between the players but they know it's important to the organization.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Well all I know is I hated everything about the Lakers except Magic, Jabbar and Shaq.

Even hated Phil when I liked him in Chicago. But generally it was people like Michael cooper, Byron scott and Derek fisher that makes me hate them so much.

And my God did I hate Gatlin...and he didn't have nothing to do with that at all.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Simple;  it is a rivalry and will remain a rivalry because the fan base from both side hates the other team.

It goes beyond players.  The fan base decides when the rivalry is over.

Don’t know about the media; but as a Celtic fan, it feels extra special when Celtics beats Lakers or Knicks...for that matter.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Jalen Rose is right. How can you call it a rivalry when Kyrie and Lebron are making out after the game is over?

Give me this
over this

Rivalries go thru ebbs and flows - Celtics-Lakers & Celtics-Sixers are the great rivalries in the NBA. There are a few others, but they don't rank with these two. Part of our problem in this country these days, no respect for history.

These are the same talking heads who now refer to the Celtics as the second most storied franchise in league history. I still laugh at all these NBA players who took their beatings at the hands of the Celtics and still make cutting remarks towards us, years later. Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Kurt Rambis, Kareem, Wilt, Jalen Rose, Chauncey Billups, etc. - all still bitter.

Having said that, I 100% agree with Gpap on the post-game love-in. I cannot stand all the hugging after every NBA game and Irving and James with their  long hug and then the ridiculous covering of mouths turned my stomach - such self-importance.

I too would much rather players throw each other down by their necks than be friendly to each other after the game's over.

Instead of shaking hands and saying well played they can slap each other in the face  :angel:

Yup, this is what should be happening at the end of games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0BM6Bh-lko

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'll always be a rivalry no matter what the pundits say.

Certainly in the thinking that bad blood between players makes for a more compelling rivalry but its certainly not a necessity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rivalries can get quiet at times but then you get a year like 2008 where suddenly the two best teams are Lakers and Celtics and not only Laker and Celtic fans start to create a buzz that Boston-LA could happen but the media and NBA fans in general got excited.

And it happened. Ratings over the previous year were incredible. The 2008-2010 ratings featuring Boston and/or LA set the NBA back towards much better ratings that recently peaked with GSW and LeBron.

If next year was Boston versus LA featuring Kyrie's Celtics versus LeBron's Lakers the ratings would be through the roof. Why? Rivalry. Both Lakers-Celtics and LeBron vs Kyrie

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not worried about what Chauncey and Jaylen said.

Paul did a fine job holding the fort. He "GETS" it.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to play for a storied franchise like BOS - and win a banner like Paul Pierce did. He garnered Finals MVP for it, too - at the expense of our hated rivals.

That shellacking that BOS put on LA in June of 2008 had me feeling like Khan after he had royally screwed over Capt Kirk

Totally satisfying win.

Also not worried about LeBron and Kyrie making out at the end....I'm more pleased that Kyrie performed and took The Lakers to school - which he did.

Kyrie "GETS IT", too - in his own quirky way.

Looking forward to Kyrie resigning and whatever else Danny has in store for this team.

The rivalry will ALWAYS live on.

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Lakers/Celtics
Red Sox/Yankees
Packers/Bears

US sports.

I was thinking the same thing, though I do think that Red Sox/Yankees and Lakers/Celtics are internationally well-known rivalries.

The Packers/Bears is definitely more US-centric.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Lakers/Celtics
Red Sox/Yankees
Packers/Bears

US sports.

I was thinking the same thing, though I do think that Red Sox/Yankees and Lakers/Celtics are internationally well-known rivalries.

The Packers/Bears is definitely more US-centric.
Think Lakers/Celtics is the most well known internationally. I would say that United vs Liverpool/Barcelona vs Real Madrid are bigger rivalries worldwide though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Simple;  it is a rivalry and will remain a rivalry because the fan base from both side hates the other team.

Don’t know about the media; but as a Celtic fan, it feels extra special when Celtics beats Lakers or Knicks...for that matter.

TP....for me the joy meter for beating a rival goes:

1. Fakers
2. Seventy Stinkers
3. Knicks

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 01:00:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

TP....for me the joy meter for beating a rival goes:

1. Fakers
2. Seventy Stinkers
3. Knicks
You mean Dicks
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA