Author Topic: Terrence Williams reportedly in talks to join Red Claws.  (Read 9142 times)

Re: Terrence Williams reportedly in talks to join Red Claws.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I never understand the jump, what does this have to do with trades for the Celtics? Even if he signs, he is still a FA and can sign with ANY NBA team, it does not mean we have any holds on him. So if that's the case we wouldn't need him to sign with Maine, we could just sign him outright after the supposed deals happen.

We don't. But do you really think many teams are going to be willing to take any chances on him given his recent record?

I think him going through the waiver process, and then signing with us in the future enables him to at least get back some form of or close to NBA talent. Even though D-League is pretty weak compared to NBA, it serves a purpose for T-Will. He'll dominate it most likely, and NBA teams may or may not be keeping their eyes peeled on him. If DA wants to, then he'll pick him up. And then try to ship off some contracts off in the future. If Asik does come here, then it makes perfect sense for us to try to package other players and keep T-Will as our SF/PG.

Sorry, I don't get what you're saying. What does him signing with Maine have to do with the big club? We already know what he does, no need to look at him. Like I said before, he's a FA he can sign with us any time regardless of him signing with Maine or not.

I don't question why he would sign with Maine, that's obvious, he wants to be in the NBA but no one is signing him so he wants to get payed by doing what he does but here instead of going overseas. He will try to turn the heads of the other teams.

The jump I'm not understanding is what does it have to do with Celtics and trades, he doesn't need to sign with Maine to play for us.

The only way I can see why people make this leap (that he's there b/c we are about make a trade), is maybe we told him there may be a spot for him soon and this is a way to pay him and keep him from going overseas. Other than that, a free agent doesn't need to sign in the D-League to be signed in the NBA.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 03:45:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's a paycheck, and in some ways it beats going overseas if the player's goal is to re-enter or enter the NBA.

The different ways NBA franchises treat their D-League affiliates must be maddening for the players, though. Avery Bradley and Danny Green ended up in the D-League for very different reasons than Ricky Davis or Delonte West.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 05:08:26 AM »

Offline TheGreenMonster

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 40
Looks like this may be a move in anticipation of the Celtics making a trade to me, you never know the Shav may be returning too  ;D

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 07:06:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Looks like this may be a move in anticipation of the Celtics making a trade to me, you never know the Shav may be returning too  ;D
Where is the Shav btw?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The jump I'm not understanding is what does it have to do with Celtics and trades, he doesn't need to sign with Maine to play for us.

It's speculation, sure.  The guess is that he's signing with the Red Claws so that the Celtics can keep a closer eye on him.

One of the things feeding that speculation:  why would Williams choose Portland, Maine to make his comeback bid if this has nothing to do with the Celts?  As great of a small city as Portland is, it absolutely sucks in late December, when the city is covered in a layer of ice an inch think.  There's a reason people complain about Maine winters.

He's going to pick Portland over his other options?  Now, I assume that he has other options, because I can't imagine that a bunch of minor league teams looking to fill seats would turn down a talent the caliber of Williams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Could be that Danny feels confident that there will be a trade going down soon.  (Crawford?)

I think we will soon have room on our roster too.  Though I think it will AB.   I think he is being showcased and wants more than we will pay.

That's the next shoe to drop.  What will Ainge do with AB ?  Does he think he's worth 8-10 M per after this year ?  If not, he's got to move him for something now.

Why? He's an RFA. it seems to me the worst thing you could do would be to move him during the season.

re: Williams--at least Portland has mellower gun laws than Boston?

You answered the question yourself--he's a RFA.

Danny knows what he is willing to offer Bradley. If he knows that what AB is seeking proves more than what he is willing to offer/accept as a return from offer sheet signing, then he will want to get assets before he let's the dude walk.

I'm not sure you've got the restricted free agency calculus exactly correct.  Bradley's cap hold next summer is a little more than 6 million.  Accordingly, in case the celtics found themselves with more cap room than currently projected for next summer, it wouldn't be good cap sense to extend Bradley for more than his next year cap hold, since doing so would it into te cap room.  That's why there was a ceiling on what Ainge was willing to offer AB, and not some real disagreement about value.  Sure, it's possible that some team comes along and offers AB significantly more than Danny was expecting, but it's not too likely.  More than likely the C's will sign Bradley to a new contract this offseason, or Ainge will match what another team offers (which will hold down AB's price, since an offer sheet will take up another team's cap space for a couple of days.  Or Ainge will use the threat of matching an offer into extracting something valuable in a sign-and-trade.

You're right. I guess I explained it poorly. I meant DA might value receiving assets in return for overspending on what he perceived as AB's value.

Maybe DA is willing to spend about 8 mill a year, and I am wrong. Hopefully I am the way AB has been playing of late.

This isn't based on any research but there's always the chance a team with cap space this offseason will think he's worth 8 million. With his history of injuries and his status as a 21st pick I can see Bradley being willing to go to a bad team for the payday. He's never going to be an all-star guy and this could be the biggest deal of his career.

In that situation the Celtics could lose him for nothing if they never intended to go up to 8 million+.

I'm kind of conflicted because you could justify giving him 8/year based on contracts around the league, only how many of those are good deals? What about the good teams? Every bad team is overpaying at least a few guys, but are the good teams spending 8 million/year on someone of Bradley's caliber?

Ainge's decision on the likeable Perkins not being worth 10/year was a tough call but correct. I have to imagine they've done their homework in predicting Bradley's possible market as well.

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
How about its the Red Claws who have their own need for a guard like T. Will, and Bradley will come to a reasonable settlement with Ainge early in the off season?
Banner 18 please 😍