Author Topic: Royce White missing games and practices  (Read 16064 times)

Re: Royce White missing games and practices
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'm waiting for the 30 for 30. It should be released about the same time as "Stop Doing my Sister Daughter, It's Gross: How Mike Dantoni got the Lakers Job"

Fixed that for you  ;)

EDIT:  And TP for the new Cowboy Bebop avatar.

No idea what's up with Royce, but it sounds like he's playing hardball at one of the least-powerful points in a first round pick's career.  Rightly or wrongly I don't think this ends well for him.
I suppose sister/daughter depends on your view of who's the real power with the Lakers. Jerry or Jim....

Ha, yeah I was going with Jim, Either way works :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I thought he wasn't ready for the NBA and I'm glad we didn't draft him. With every disorder you hope to manage and live a full life but sometimes you have put yourself in a position to succeed. The NBA is just not a good environment for an anxiety disorder and fear of flying. It'll take more than summer league, preseason and a personal bus to cope. It's a lifetime process. I have a severe fear of heights. Until my twenties even get on an escalator was a herculean task. I've been doing very well but I recently I had a panic attack on a train I've ridden a hundred times before. It's so completely paralyzing and demoralizing and I cannot imagine having a job where I had to constantly confront my fears. I wish him and the team the best because they have some tough decisions to make.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't think we're getting the real story from either side. I know one thing for sure though, Glad we dodged this bullet.

Most people here were devastated White went first and we only got Jared Sullinger. I was celebrating all summer.

I was on the  Ross White band wagon during selection time as well .  But , after the Celtics took Sully , and I learned he was a well respected Coachs son  ,and heard him speak . Then I knew Danny made the right choice.

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
White may never have an nba career but also houston might be handling the situation the wrong way. Maybe since this is pro sports and a business there is no other way.

The way Houston wants to fix the situation is to have a therapist cure his condition. This way he can fly regularly, practice with the team, and not have the team also worry if he will arrive  at games on time.

White on the other hand, does not want the cure or at least not the way houston wants to fix it. He seems like he is getting upset that his condition is not being respected or something. But White should know , if he does not ultimately want to deal or fix his issue, he won't have an nba future.  You just can't ride the bus , miss practice, come to the game 1/2 hour before it starts .

Maybe if Houston gives him some time on the court, white will return the favor and fly more? maybe with the roar of the nba crowed, he might never want to miss a flight again.

White nowadays never stops whining and putting on a victim hat. Even without the condition quite a bit of rookies never see a minute in their first year.

Bottom line is i'm glad we don't have to deal with this. I don't want this kid on the celtics team. Likely will be a waste of immense talent. Could of been a lebron james lite eventually

Can you believe this situation with Royce White???
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I fully expected a big splash from this kid throughout his rookie year and for complications form his anxiety disorder to maybe creep up later in the year.

He seems to be incapable of handling the life of an NBA player.

It is too bad if he cannot pull it together. It is not something easy to live with but I suspected that Houston would figure out a way to make it work. Apparently he thinks he should be getting playing time and that Houston is nto living up to their end of the bargain when it comes to helping him with his disorder.

The thing is a hot mess.

Thank goodness Sully fell to us.

Royce White was thought to be the lottery talent that would fall to the Celtics and I was actually excited at the prospect of landing him. Silly me.

Re: Can you believe this situation with Royce White???
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I fully expected a big splash from this kid throughout his rookie year and for complications form his anxiety disorder to maybe creep up later in the year.

It is too bad if he cannot pull it together. It is not something easy to live with but I suspected that Houston would figure out a way to make it work. Apparently he thinks he should be getting playing time and that Houston is nto living up to their end of the bargain when it comes to helping him with his disorder.

The thing is a hot mess.

Royce White was thought to be the lottery talent that would fall to the Celtics and I was actually excited at the prospect of landing him. Silly me.

I agree with the second half of that statement, but I haven't seen any evidence for the first.

Definitely a mess, though. I feel bad for the dude--sports fans are hardly the most sympathetic audience for someone to have when you're dealing with something so crippling.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 02:12:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
White may never have an nba career but also houston might be handling the situation the wrong way. Maybe since this is pro sports and a business there is no other way.

The way Houston wants to fix the situation is to have a therapist cure his condition. This way he can fly regularly, practice with the team, and not have the team also worry if he will arrive  at games on time.

White on the other hand, does not want the cure or at least not the way houston wants to fix it. He seems like he is getting upset that his condition is not being respected or something. But White should know , if he does not ultimately want to deal or fix his issue, he won't have an nba future.  You just can't ride the bus , miss practice, come to the game 1/2 hour before it starts .

Maybe if Houston gives him some time on the court, white will return the favor and fly more? maybe with the roar of the nba crowed, he might never want to miss a flight again.

White nowadays never stops whining and putting on a victim hat. Even without the condition quite a bit of rookies never see a minute in their first year.

Bottom line is i'm glad we don't have to deal with this. I don't want this kid on the celtics team. Likely will be a waste of immense talent. Could of been a lebron james lite eventually

From the way your post reads, you sound like this is analogous to him suffering from the flu.

That's a poor way to process this situation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 02:15:56 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

The thing is a hot mess.

danny ainge wasnt going to draft him. he pulled out as did evry other team except houston. this is according to royce white's agent.

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

The thing is a hot mess.

I agree with the second half of that statement, but I haven't seen any evidence for the first.

Definitely a mess, though. I feel bad for the dude--sports fans are hardly the most sympathetic audience for someone to have when you're dealing with something so crippling.

I definitely feel bad too. But I also think that sports fans and more importantly, sports owners and GM's should be sympathetic to this kind of disorder but only to a certain point.

I definitely do not think he should be exempt form practices or games.

That being said if he is missing games and practices as a form of protest because Houston insists that he see their Doctor and not his own, then they need to renegotiate.

On the double flipside...If any organization has to worry about this crap with a player that can not even crack the rotation, they should cut bait...cold but true.

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I think Houston should cut their losses and offer the kid a settlement in order to move on.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:43 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

The thing is a hot mess.

danny ainge wasnt going to draft him. he pulled out as did evry other team except houston. this is according to royce white's agent.

GM's and Agent's are the biggest liars in all of sports...

If every other team pulled out, then why wouldnt Hou try to trade down?

White is a huge talent with a significant handicap that any late lottery/early 20's team would try to fix.

He is top 5 talent and I have no doubt that Ainge would have given him a long look.

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 04:21:58 AM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
The Rockets general manager has this theory that a team needs 2 or 3 All Stars to compete for a nba title. He therefore thinks that players like Sully should be passed on in favor of guys with clear all star potential - no matter the risks involved.

It's an interesting theory that this guy might apply a bit too rigidly in this case.

That every other NBA team didn't want him in the top 25 at least is a big sign that the NBA teams had information not available to us fans.

But he's being really foolish here. Rockets are competitive and extremely deep at PF. If anything, you'd think the guy who held out of training camp would keep his head down and his mouth shut, at least for a long while.

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I hope they cut him, and Danny finds a way to get him on the Celtics for cheap.  Would you keep this guy on your roster and let him only attend games that he can get to by car?  I would.

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I hope they cut him, and Danny finds a way to get him on the Celtics for cheap.  Would you keep this guy on your roster and let him only attend games that he can get to by car?  I would.

I wouldn't. Complete chemistry and rotation nightmare.

Is doc going to play a guy who doesn't show up to trainings or shootarounds to earn it?

What happens in playoffs when you've gotta play in someone else's building?

Just going to let the guy bail out and wait for the home games?

No offense to the guy and his disorder but other than the Harden trade Houston have been pretty pathetic in the offseason.
Jeremy Lin's deal was atrocious, only eclipsed by Asik's horrible deal, and then they topped it all off with drafting this dude, who clearly is not ready to be an NBA player, maybe never will be.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I wouldn't. Complete chemistry and rotation nightmare.

Is doc going to play a guy who doesn't show up to trainings or shootarounds to earn it?

What happens in playoffs when you've gotta play in someone else's building?

Just going to let the guy bail out and wait for the home games?

No offense to the guy and his disorder but other than the Harden trade Houston have been pretty pathetic in the offseason.
Jeremy Lin's deal was atrocious, only eclipsed by Asik's horrible deal, and then they topped it all off with drafting this dude, who clearly is not ready to be an NBA player, maybe never will be.
No way I would want him on the Celtics after what White has and hasn't shown to the Rockets.  He hasn't earned a single minute of playing time, he shows up when he feels like it, and his tweets suggest that he thinks he is more powerful than David Stern.  Forget that.