Author Topic: We make the playoffs...get knocked out. then what?  (Read 26453 times)

Re: We make the playoffs...get knocked out. then what?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
But what if we DON'T get knocked out....what if we're the ones knocking out the Hawks?  ;)

Then the drugs wear off and you're naked and shivering in the Brazilian rainforest.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keep in mind, the two best players we've drafted in recent years came at #15 (Big Al) and #21 (Rondo).  In fact, we landed Big Al in a very similar situation to this one, where many fans were rooting for us to lose and miss the playoffs, but we snuck in largely due to the Chucky Atkins pickup at the trade deadline.

We'll be okay, so long as Danny doesn't miss on the picks we do have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
But what if we DON'T get knocked out....what if we're the ones knocking out the Hawks?  ;)

Then the drugs wear off and you're naked and shivering in the Brazilian rainforest.

we are the Hawk's kryptonite  ;D

but I do think being in the playoffs help the team long term in getting confidence

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
We still have no go to scorer or franchise player. I'm getting concerned about our lack of a superstar/franchise player. All of our pieces that we have are complementary at this point, I honestly don't see Smart ever being a 20ppg guy, I see him being a potential All First Team Defense though and for that alone he's worth to keep around. I just am not sold on the current structure of this team and we have never been able to attract any big time free agents. I am just worried about being in the middle, too good to tank and too bad to be a contender. At least in 2007 we had PP, right now we have a bunch of unproven assets who are playing just good enough for a first round exit.

Look guys I hate tanking and root for the Cs regardless, but I have to be concerned about the future of this team. The goal is championships, to get championships you need at LEAST one Superstar and that person isn't coming here via free agency. I just don't understand Ainge's plan right now...feels like we're in no mans land.

EXPERIENCE~   I'll take a team that has made the playoffs and knows how to lock in and play better than the last time they went to the playoffs and lost.    I work in a sales office.   We had some "super Stars" guys that sold so much, but where ****s.   I now work in an office that has alot more good sales persons then super stars and our office is selling more as a team.      I'm a firm believer that the winning culture is way better than tring to lose.   Karma is out there.  You win as many games as you can win.  Because at the end of the day, a loser is a loser.   
Diggles

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Then you go to libertyballers.com
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
We still have no go to scorer or franchise player. I'm getting concerned about our lack of a superstar/franchise player. All of our pieces that we have are complementary at this point, I honestly don't see Smart ever being a 20ppg guy, I see him being a potential All First Team Defense though and for that alone he's worth to keep around. I just am not sold on the current structure of this team and we have never been able to attract any big time free agents. I am just worried about being in the middle, too good to tank and too bad to be a contender. At least in 2007 we had PP, right now we have a bunch of unproven assets who are playing just good enough for a first round exit.

Look guys I hate tanking and root for the Cs regardless, but I have to be concerned about the future of this team. The goal is championships, to get championships you need at LEAST one Superstar and that person isn't coming here via free agency. I just don't understand Ainge's plan right now...feels like we're in no mans land.

EXPERIENCE~   I'll take a team that has made the playoffs and knows how to lock in and play better than the last time they went to the playoffs and lost.    I work in a sales office.   We had some "super Stars" guys that sold so much, but where ****s.   I now work in an office that has alot more good sales persons then super stars and our office is selling more as a team.      I'm a firm believer that the winning culture is way better than tring to lose.   Karma is out there.  You win as many games as you can win.  Because at the end of the day, a loser is a loser.
TP

I love the salesman referance

I'm in the make the playoffs camp (formerly in the tank squad)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It just means we have to scout better.   There will be value there, we just have to nail the pick or trade it for already developed asset in the league.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Well then, we will get swept by the Cavs, then have to watch Lebron celebrate on our court in the second round, then we draft Frank Kaminsky, watch him get abused until his rookie contract runs out and then he leaves for China.

Vs last year where we were terrible, but then got Marcus Smart.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ainge traded away our "star" and every veteran that was worth anything.  The only real upgrade he made was adding Thomas, and that made sense because he is a young player on a reasonable contract.

So I don't think making the playoffs has anything to do with Ainge.  And there really isn't anything else more we can do to "tank" even more.  Players and coaches do not tank, executives do.  And Ainge has tried.

More than anything, this shows is how bad the east is and that we are better than most thought (which isn't a bad thing).

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 03:45:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Well then, we will get swept by the Cavs, then have to watch Lebron celebrate on our court in the second round, then we draft Frank Kaminsky, watch him get abused until his rookie contract runs out and then he leaves for China.

More likely we'd get to play the Bulls without Rose or the Wizards without Beal.  We probably don't get swept.  Either of those could be a fun series.

Besides, we're totally getting the Mavs pick this year because Rondo is going to crater that team into the lottery, or so I've heard.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

More likely we'd get to play the Bulls without Rose or the Wizards without Beal.  We probably don't get swept.  Either of those could be a fun series.

Besides, we're totally getting the Mavs pick this year because Rondo is going to crater that team into the lottery, or so I've heard.

The Mavs are making the playoffs this year.  They're too good and too well coached.  I guess if they fell to the 14th pick and we had the 15th pick, we might be able to move up to 10th or so.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Thank you CelticsBlog you have made me feel a little better. :)

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Keep in mind, the two best players we've drafted in recent years came at #15 (Big Al) and #21 (Rondo).  In fact, we landed Big Al in a very similar situation to this one, where many fans were rooting for us to lose and miss the playoffs, but we snuck in largely due to the Chucky Atkins pickup at the trade deadline.

We'll be okay, so long as Danny doesn't miss on the picks we do have.

And if we had been worse we would have ended up with Robert Swift instead of Al, if you believe the stories.

One thing regarding expectations though: Rondo might be the best player taken at #21 in the modern era (depending on what you think of Michael Finley), and Al is probably in the top 3 taken at #15 too.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/21st-overall/210509/

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/15th-overall/150509/

You can view this as a testament to Danny's draft skill, or as luck, or some combination of the two. But getting All-Star caliber guys even in the 10-15 range is pretty rare.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker

The East is so bad that you just talked me into:

Smart
Bradley
Jae Crowder
Kelly Olynyk
Tyler Zeller

6th man: Isaiah Thomas

into making the ECF because our 2nd year NBA coach is sort of getting the hang of things.  Wow

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The Mavs are making the playoffs this year.  They're too good and too well coached.  I guess if they fell to the 14th pick and we had the 15th pick, we might be able to move up to 10th or so.

My comment about the Mavs was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  I'm just not really that concerned about whom the Celtics draft.  Not because I don't think it important, but because I only have eyes for Willie Cauley-Stein, and I think the C's will need to trade to get him.