Author Topic: I am off  (Read 3481 times)

Re: I am off
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I wouldn't cite instant gratification as an issue.  It's not entitlement either.  We all expected rough patches to start the season, trying to reintegrate Hayward and Irving back into the fold and all.  I don't think most of us anticipated us looking this bad doing it.  I admit that probably >75% of my comments this season in gamethreads have been negative.

It's not just that we're losing, it's the way we're losing.  Defensive lapses (esp on our road trip and our loss against Utah tonight), major offensive droughts, poor energy to start quarters, digging ourselves 15+ point holes early in games, launching 3 after 3 after 3 even when less than a quarter of them are going in.  This team is an absolute chore to watch and I'd be surprised if anyone argued otherwise. 

I challenge anyone to present a case that our coaches have done a good job so far.  Of course I don't know more than Brad, and it isn't Brad's fault if we're missing wide open 3's, but if we're continually missing outside shots then make the appropriate adjustment and be more aggressive going to the paint.  For the sake of all that is holy MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT of some sort at either end of the floor.  Call ATO plays that are designed for a shot close to the basket.  Change ballhandlers and stop letting Rozier dribble the clock out.  Switch PnR coverages.
 Whatever.  Do something because the numbers don't lie.  We're dead last in points in the paint, 2nd to last in FT attempts per game, 2nd to last in overall FG%, and per the game stat earlier tonight 25th in drives to the paint per game.  This is completely inexcusable for a team with our talent, chemistry issues or not, and it stems back to Brad and company.  Our loss against Utah tonight was a perfect example.  A game like that should happen maybe four or five times per season for a team of our caliber.  Instead it's been happening almost nightly.

I have so many other complaints - from our player rotations to our gameplanning - but at the risk of sounding too negative I'll leave it at that.  I guess at the end of the day I should be happy that we have a >.500 record because we really look like a terrible team for very long stretches of almost every game.

This team indeed has issues—many of them. And I really don't see a whole lot to be upbeat about at this point.

Thursday night we took everything the Raptors could throw at us and we still won.  We won a game that was as close to a playoff atmosphere as you get in mid November.  I was pretty upbeat about beating the team I see as our biggest threat in the east.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I have no problems with the criticisms on here as well as pointing out what's wrong, what's to be concerned about, what trade(s) we should make/consider, etc.

It's the flaming hot takes and obvious negativity on here that puts me off at times. The folks who make a post or comment on a post like, "this team's chances of making the playoffs are now in jeopardy", "we're a lottery team this year", "the Sixers are way more talented than us", then when someone like Kyrie has a great stretch but then has one bad game, folks say "this is why we should let Kyrie go and extend Rozier for this reason", etc.  :(

Also if someone had just woken up from a coma and came here without knowing anything about the C's so far this year, they would have assumed we're like a 10th seed in the East and heading for a lottery pick in the Draft  :P

We're still 5th in the East and just 2.5 games back of the Bucks for the 2 seed (and 3.5 back from the #1 seed we just beat a few nights ago). All while we're figuring things out and trying to integrate Hayward into this team again after his gruesome injury (remember it's not just Hayward - everyone now is learning to play and adjust with Hayward now back on the court, not something they did last year since he was hurt just 5 minutes into his C's career).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I wouldn't cite instant gratification as an issue.  It's not entitlement either.  We all expected rough patches to start the season, trying to reintegrate Hayward and Irving back into the fold and all.  I don't think most of us anticipated us looking this bad doing it.  I admit that probably >75% of my comments this season in gamethreads have been negative.

It's not just that we're losing, it's the way we're losing.  Defensive lapses (esp on our road trip and our loss against Utah tonight), major offensive droughts, poor energy to start quarters, digging ourselves 15+ point holes early in games, launching 3 after 3 after 3 even when less than a quarter of them are going in.  This team is an absolute chore to watch and I'd be surprised if anyone argued otherwise. 

I challenge anyone to present a case that our coaches have done a good job so far.  Of course I don't know more than Brad, and it isn't Brad's fault if we're missing wide open 3's, but if we're continually missing outside shots then make the appropriate adjustment and be more aggressive going to the paint.  For the sake of all that is holy MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT of some sort at either end of the floor.  Call ATO plays that are designed for a shot close to the basket.  Change ballhandlers and stop letting Rozier dribble the clock out.  Switch PnR coverages.
 Whatever.  Do something because the numbers don't lie.  We're dead last in points in the paint, 2nd to last in FT attempts per game, 2nd to last in overall FG%, and per the game stat earlier tonight 25th in drives to the paint per game.  This is completely inexcusable for a team with our talent, chemistry issues or not, and it stems back to Brad and company.  Our loss against Utah tonight was a perfect example.  A game like that should happen maybe four or five times per season for a team of our caliber.  Instead it's been happening almost nightly.

I have so many other complaints - from our player rotations to our gameplanning - but at the risk of sounding too negative I'll leave it at that.  I guess at the end of the day I should be happy that we have a >.500 record because we really look like a terrible team for very long stretches of almost every game.

Ehhh it’s negative posts can make things feel overwhelming sometimes.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 12:38:31 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

This team indeed has issues—many of them. And I really don't see a whole lot to be upbeat about at this point.

Thursday night we took everything the Raptors could throw at us and we still won.  We won a game that was as close to a playoff atmosphere as you get in mid November.  I was pretty upbeat about beating the team I see as our biggest threat in the east.

That's a rare exception thus far this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 06:08:53 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I found this forum in 2009 and finally joined in the off-season of 2010. Loved the place. Such a great community.

But slowly it’s started to turn, and this season has become awful. The doom and gloom and people jumping to denigrate this team is unbearable.

I don’t expect everyone to wear their green goggles 24/7, but let this team figure it out.

Boston sports fans have such a poor reputation amongst other fanbases (only Philly worse), and can’t say I’m not seeing it.

I know expectations were sky-high this season, but 16 games in with an unspectacular record, that shouldn’t have changed. But alas, nearly everyone on here is going overboard.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But slowly it’s started to turn, and this season has become awful. The doom and gloom and people jumping to denigrate this team is unbearable.

Those people will eventually leave as the weather is not nice and the diehards will stay and it gets ok, again....

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38

I challenge ....
An absolute chore to watch?? Your life must be hard.  The OP explained why he's leaving. You disagreed, justified that it's 'the way we're losing', challenge the blog to test your almighty wit, and then in a shocker revealed you have so many complaints. You parsed a statement from a guy that's left a room. Just wanna make sure I'm keeping up. You know how I know all the angry knowitall tommy trade everyones are all morons? Because no one called Kyrie. The only trade that involved players. In all of the awful trade ideas not one poster knew or had the imagination to think of it. Sorry if I made another chore for you sceltics. I've gotta go teach in Baltimore. It  is an absolute job. You should checkout that one story about what sound and fury signify.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948

I challenge ....
An absolute chore to watch?? Your life must be hard.  The OP explained why he's leaving. You disagreed, justified that it's 'the way we're losing', challenge the blog to test your almighty wit, and then in a shocker revealed you have so many complaints. You parsed a statement from a guy that's left a room. Just wanna make sure I'm keeping up. You know how I know all the angry knowitall tommy trade everyones are all morons? Because no one called Kyrie. The only trade that involved players. In all of the awful trade ideas not one poster knew or had the imagination to think of it. Sorry if I made another chore for you sceltics. I've gotta go teach in Baltimore. It  is an absolute job. You should checkout that one story about what sound and fury signify.

You're taking my comment quite a bit out of context.  I'm not sure how you extrapolated all that from my post, but go ahead and be snide.  It's called writing with power - it's not meant to be hyperbolic exactly, but it's more effective in getting the point across.

I'm not sure I can completely follow your jumbled paragraph of text, but I'll give it a try.  Yes this team is a chore to watch if we're talking about a talented basketball team that is underperforming, not relative to life's ACTUAL challenges (again not sure how you came away with that idea).  As for that, I do well for myself as a working professional with a good salary and benefits with a total compensation package slightly exceeding 6 figures.  Your condescension is laughable - "I gotta go teach in Baltimore" - implying somehow that because you hold an academic position and have "an absolute job" that you can talk down to me.  Then you call me out for "challenging to blog to test [my] wit" - then go on to call a bunch of people morons for presenting trade ideas.  OK then Mr. Pemulis.

It's a basketball discussion forum, and it was meant to see if anyone could indeed offer strong counterarguments to my observations with regard to our coaching performances.  So far no one has done so.  That's not to say I'm right, but there doesn't appear to be anyone who is in strong disagreement to what I've said... so far anyway.

Instead of attacking me, try to offer a more constructive dialogue pertaining to basketball.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Let's keep this on track without the personal commentary, smugness, snide comments, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If it affects you personally, taking a break is a good idea.

If it doesn't, would love to keep you around, and adding positivity to these here forums :]

Regardless of which you decide on doing: wish ya all the best!
TBH, I think about putting up a thread like this after EVERY loss.  When you get to my age (60), you see that life is too short to spend being frustrated about a game of all things.

They went down 13 vs. the Jazz in the 3rd quarter. I turned it off, AND didn't check in to Celtics Strong until just now.

Fairweather fan?  Perhaps, but there are other factors.

See ya' back here, someday, I'm sure.   ;)

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm a big C's fan and I feel compelled to call them out when they deserve it.  They suck.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’m as frustrated as anyone with our start. But I realize that my expectations were unrealistic. This team overachieved last year, look at its point differential which was more suited to a low 50 win team. We were also one close game from getting kicked to the curb in the 1st round. Had the Pacers beaten Cavs, would we have gotten past them? I’m not so sure.

I fanticized Gordon would be 100% but that was also unrealistic.

I did not expect the lack of chemistry.

Most of my frustration has been taken out on Stevens.

Yeah, I’m angry. But when I realized we play again tonight, I can’t wait to tune in and cheer them on to turn this around.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I’m as frustrated as anyone with our start. But I realize that my expectations were unrealistic. This team overachieved last year, look at its point differential which was more suited to a low 50 win team. We were also one close game from getting kicked to the curb in the 1st round. Had the Pacers beaten Cavs, would we have gotten past them? I’m not so sure.

I fanticized Gordon would be 100% but that was also unrealistic.

I did not expect the lack of chemistry.

Most of my frustration has been taken out on Stevens.

Yeah, I’m angry. But when I realized we play again tonight, I can’t wait to tune in and cheer them on to turn this around.

I knew there would be some big adjustments but I truly didn't think they would be as disfunctional as they have been so far this year. I mean yea Kyrie returned but the Celts were playing great with him in the lineup for a big portion of last year. I didn't think putting Hayward into the mix would cause such a problem.

That's why I think Hayward needs to go to the second unit and we should restore our starting lineup to what it was last year (for now) with Baynes at center. Then Hayward can get a LOT more looks with the second unit with him and Morris being the clear scoring leaders there.

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Agree the negativity has been out of control. The Rozier hate in particular has reached absurd levels. (It's not his fault the C's went 5/33 shooting 3's the other night)

The team is finding their way and missing easy shots. So long a they are playing reasonably hard I'm not going to bash them too much. They will figure it out.