Author Topic: If KG retires, how much salary cap room could the Celtics clear?  (Read 2826 times)

Re: If KG retires, how much salary cap room could the Celtics clear?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would say it is worth it if there are good enough free agents out there and you think you can convince 2 of them to sign starting in the 9 mil per year range.

From this list:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013

Josh Smith
Ty Lawson (R)
OJ Mayo (PO)
Steph Curry (R)
Kevin Martin
David West
Chris Paul
Dwight Howard
Brandon Jennings (R)
Monta Ellis (Early Term.)
James Harden (R)
Jrue Holidy (R)
JJ Hickson
Tyreke Evans (R)
Jose Calderon
Paul Millsap
Al Jefferson

Thats a lot of restricted guys.  Maybe if you could get a big like Howard or Jefferson and a 4 man like Smith or Millsap.   

Jennings, Harden, Holidy,(to a lesser extent Evans), Curry would be big gets but they are restricted. 

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Obviously Howard and Paul are going to cost the max.  So pairing them with anyone wouldnt work.  Howard may be worth it.  Paul plays the same spot as Rondo, so I wouldnt want him for a max deal unless trading Rondo was in the plans.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Can someone breakdown 'stretching' for the group, or point to a good reference? Thanks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If it's at all possible to trade them for expirings or younger players on shorter contracts before the trade deadline or this summer, the team should do it, in my opinion.

I think the team should operate under the assumption that it can be a contender next season, so it should avoid doing salary dumps of useful rotation players.  I'd consider moving Bass and Terry for players who are better fits with contracts that expire in 2014, not this year.  I would target 2014, with an option to extend it to 2015, as the summer to possibly blow things up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can someone breakdown 'stretching' for the group, or point to a good reference? Thanks.

Salary Cap FAQ
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Interesting and I wonder if Danny thinks more about shedding salary to clear space for next year when the trade deadline comes around.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I wouldn't sign anyone to a max with the cap space , unless Dwight wants to come here.

Also wouldn't split it up between say Mayo and Millsap for 9 mil either. Then you are just stuck in nba hell like Detroit was when they signed Gordon and Charlie V.

You have to try to make a trade to get that impact player IMO and the cap space allows that.

If no trades come along , then you just sign guys on 1 year deals and suck for a season ( 2014 is supposed to be a pretty strong draft), and have that cap space available again the following year.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If it's at all possible to trade them for expirings or younger players on shorter contracts before the trade deadline or this summer, the team should do it, in my opinion.

I think the team should operate under the assumption that it can be a contender next season, so it should avoid doing salary dumps of useful rotation players.  I'd consider moving Bass and Terry for players who are better fits with contracts that expire in 2014, not this year.  I would target 2014, with an option to extend it to 2015, as the summer to possibly blow things up.

I agree, at least for this year. They may want to think about blowing things up starting this summer, but I think as long as you have KG and Paul playing well, they still have a puncher's chance of making some noise this year in the playoffs

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I forgot earlier, Pierce can't be "stretched", because he signed his contract under the old CBA. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
#1 and #2 make sense.  I could legitimately see KG retiring and doing the franchise a favor by forgoing his remaining salary.  Waiving Pierce makes sense if KG retires.

As for Bass/Terry, I'd rather trade them for expiring contracts now, or non-guaranteed deals in the off-season, as a way of clearing their salary.

Terry shouldn't be too difficult to move despite his bad play this year.  He has a proven history of being a valuable playoff contributer, and I'd imagine some "contender" out there would desire his service.

Bass, on the other hand, may be much more difficult to move.  Players like him are a dime-a-dozen.  using the stretch provision on him may be the only way to clear his salary.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Basic question.  Does a retiring player's contract amount simply go poof?  I would be surprised if it were that simple.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Basic question.  Does a retiring player's contract amount simply go poof?  I would be surprised if it were that simple.

If the player files retirement papers with the league, the team is under no obligation to pay him.  Only the actual amount the player is paid counts against the cap.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I do see a reason why KG will retire next season. he can play for more 2-3 years. He is still a beast, our bes player