Author Topic: If KG retires, how much salary cap room could the Celtics clear?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Currently, the Celts are capped out for next year, having a $73 million payroll for a salary cap that will be around $60 million.

However, theoretically, the Celtics could clear some decent cap space if KG retired.  (This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, so feel free to nit pick).  Here's how:

(All salary info found here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AodNvAy3ZYZmdGE3NDBqMElRUXh2REN4Q3pZRG1TU1E&gid=4)

1.  KG formally retires.  His $12.44 million comes off the books.

2.  We waive Pierce.  His salary counts as $5 million against our cap.

3.  We "stretch" Jason Terry's contract over 5 years.  His annual cap hit is $2.14 million.

4.  We "stretch" Brandon Bass contract over 5 years.  His annual cap hit is $2.67 million.

5.  (I'm not sure if this is allowed:) We "stretch" Pierce's contract over 3 years.  His annual cap hit is $1.67 million.

Under those circumstances, we'd have 6 players under contract, totaling approximately $31.4 million.  Add in $6.5 million in dead money for waived players, around $2.5 million for "incomplete roster charges", and say $1.5 million for a draft pick.

Assuming a $60 million cap, that would leave us about $18 million in cap room, and a $2.575 million room exception.  Does anybody think it's worth it?

EDIT:  Also, we could actually clear a small bit more, if we decided to waive Terry or Green.  We'd be limited to carrying around $9 million in dead money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: If KG retires, how much salary cap room could the Celtics clear?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Just trade Pierce and Terry. No need to waive or stretch their contracts.

People will offer expiring contracts for those two. No need to take a cap hit at all.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Probably not worth it unless you get a Top 10 NBA player.  I'd rather imagine a scenario where Pierce retires at the end of his current contract and Garnett decides to hang it up a year early at the same time.  At that point, Terry and Bass become expiring contracts with trade value.

I think the team should value being flexible until it determines how well Rondo will recover from his injury.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think it's worth it from the standpoint of who's left to draw in a FA worth that kind of $?  no KG, no PP and Rondo's out for decent portion of the season with no guarantee he'd ever return to the level of player he was pre-injury.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Currently, the Celts are capped out for next year, having a $73 million payroll for a salary cap that will be around $60 million.

However, theoretically, the Celtics could clear some decent cap space if KG retired.  (This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, so feel free to nit pick).  Here's how:

(All salary info found here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AodNvAy3ZYZmdGE3NDBqMElRUXh2REN4Q3pZRG1TU1E&gid=4)

1.  KG formally retires.  His $12.44 million comes off the books.

2.  We waive Pierce.  His salary counts as $5 million against our cap.

3.  We "stretch" Jason Terry's contract over 5 years.  His annual cap hit is $2.14 million.

4.  We "stretch" Brandon Bass contract over 5 years.  His annual cap hit is $2.67 million.

5.  (I'm not sure if this is allowed:) We "stretch" Pierce's contract over 3 years.  His annual cap hit is $1.67 million.

Under those circumstances, we'd have 6 players under contract, totaling approximately $31.4 million.  Add in $6.5 million in dead money for waived players, around $2.5 million for "incomplete roster charges", and say $1.5 million for a draft pick.

Assuming a $60 million cap, that would leave us about $18 million in cap room, and a $2.575 million room exception.  Does anybody think it's worth it?

EDIT:  Also, we could actually clear a small bit more, if we decided to waive Terry or Green.  We'd be limited to carrying around $9 million in dead money.

Can't we use the Amnesty on Pierce?

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just trade Pierce and Terry. No need to waive or stretch their contracts.

People will offer expiring contracts for those two. No need to take a cap hit at all.

Agree -- we could have even more space if we make every effort to trade Terry, Bass, and perhaps Pierce for expiring contracts.

The former two have decreased in value a lot this season, but I think other teams could still value them as supporting players if they don't have to give up much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't think it's worth it from the standpoint of who's left to draw in a FA worth that kind of $?  no KG, no PP and Rondo's out for decent portion of the season with no guarantee he'd ever return to the level of player he was pre-injury.

You can also take on a max salary player in a trade . We wouldn't have to match salary , meaning we could do a trade like

Minny sends: Kevin Love
Boston sends: Bradley and/or sully , plus picks

Makes it much easier to make trades

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Roy, when you get the kinks worked out on this, I'd love it if you did a front page post on it.

cheers
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We could use Amnesty on Pierce. But if you go that route then you should just trade him. Or at least work out a buyout, so he can choose his destination.

Question:

How many times can you "stretch" a contract?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Question:

Not 100% certain ... but I think it is a percentage of your cap. You can do it as many times as you want up to that percentage. And I think the percentage was 25% of your cap.

So 25% of $58 million would be $14.5 million.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Probably not worth it unless you get a Top 10 NBA player.  I'd rather imagine a scenario where Pierce retires at the end of his current contract and Garnett decides to hang it up a year early at the same time.  At that point, Terry and Bass become expiring contracts with trade value.

I think the team should value being flexible until it determines how well Rondo will recover from his injury.

I agree that this is the way to go.  In the event that KG didn't retire, he'd have an attractive contract to move, if that's the direction we went.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Question:

Not 100% certain ... but I think it is a percentage of your cap. You can do it as many times as you want up to that percentage. And I think the percentage was 25% of your cap.

So 25% of $58 million would be $14.5 million.

It's 15%.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't see any reason why Danny wouldn't do this if he doesn't trade them first . We are 3 years past the 3 year window we had with KG and PP leading us. We have to move on at some point .

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Can't we use the Amnesty on Pierce?

We can.  However, that has to be used after July 1, after which point Pierce's contract will be fully guaranteed.  Under that scenario, it would cost ownership $15.3 million, rather than $5 million.  Is that extra $10 million worth $1.67 million in cap space?

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't like the idea of hanging onto Terry and Bass until the last year of their contracts.  Terry's value, at least, is not likely to increase over time.  Bass's value may or may not increase.  Depends on whether he gets back to where he was last season or not. 

Anyway, those guys are vets who will block young players from getting minutes.  If it's at all possible to trade them for expirings or younger players on shorter contracts before the trade deadline or this summer, the team should do it, in my opinion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain