Author Topic: Nuggets (8-3) at Celtics (8-3) Game #12 11/11/22  (Read 11436 times)

Nuggets (8-3) at Celtics (8-3) Game #12 11/11/22
« on: November 10, 2022, 10:19:27 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Denver Nuggets (8-3)  at  Boston Celtics (8-3)
Friday, November 11, 2022
7:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #12 Home Game #6
TV:  NBA-TV, NBCSB, Altitude
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, KKSE 92.5
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs Jamal Murray

Shooting Guard
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 

Small Forward

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Michael Porter, Jr

Power Forward
vs
Grant Williams vs Aaron Gordon

Center
vs
Al Horford vs Nikola Jokic

Celtics Reserves

Derrick White
Sam Hauser
Payton Pritchard
Luke Kornet
Blake Griffin
Justin Jackson
Noah Vonleh

2 Way Players

JD Davison
Mfiondu Kabengele

Out/Injuries
Danilo Gallinari  (ACL)  out
Robert Williams III (knee) out
Malcolm Brogdon  (hamstring)  out

Head Coach (Interim)
Joe Mazzulla

Nuggets Reserves
Christian Braun
Bruce Brown
Vlatko Cancar
Jeff Green
Bones Hyland
DeAndre Jordan
Zeke Nnaji
Davoon Reed
Peyton Watson

2 Way Players
Collin Gillespie
Jack White

Out/Injuries
Ish Smith (calf)  out
Collin Gillespie (leg)  out

Head Coach

Michael Malone

Game Notes
The Celtics host the Denver Nuggets in their second straight home game.  The Nuggets are playing in the 3rd game of a 4 game road trip.  This is the first of 2 games between these two teams this season.  They will play one more time on New Year's Day (January 1) in Denver, where the Nuggets have a very unique mile high home court advantage. 

The Celtics won the series 2-0 last season.  The Nuggets have lost the last 3 games they played in Boston.  The Celtics have won 5 straight against the Nuggets and 7 of their last 10 meetings.  The Nuggets last win against the Celtics came on November 22, 2019.  The Celtics are 57-39 overall all time against the Nuggets and they are 37-9 all time at home. 

This is the first of back to back games for the Celtics.  They will travel to Detroit for a rematch with the Pistons on Saturday.  The Celtics are 2-0 so far on the first night of back to back games and they are 1-0 when the game was played at home.  The Celtics are 4-1 at home while the Nuggets are 4-3 on the road.  Both teams are come in on 4 game win streaks.  The Celtics are 1-0 vs the West while the Nuggets are 1-0 vs the East. 

The Celtics continue to be without Robert Williams III (knee) and Danilo Gallinari (knee).  They will also be without Malcolm Brogdon, who left Wednesday's game with tightness in his hamstring.  Derrick White and Payton Pritchard will likely see more minutes due to his absence.  I'm guessing that Grant Williams will start once more and White will come off the bench to lead the second unit.  Ish Smith (calf) will miss his 5th straight game for the Nuggets. 

Key Matchups
vs
Al Horford vs Nikola Jokic
Jokic is has won back to back MVP's for a reason.  He is averaging 21.2 points, 9.9 rebounds, 9.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game.  He is shooting 59.6% from the field and just 25% from beyond the arc.  He has led his team in points, rebounds and assists 85 times, which is the most by any center in NBA history.  He is a handful and the Celtics need to try to slow him down by any means necessary.

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Michael Porter, Jr
Porter is averaging 17.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 1.3 assists.  He is shooting 48.9% from the field and 48.6% from beyond the arc.  Tatum has been playing at a very high level on both ends of the court and the Celtics are going to need him to continue that in this game to give themselves a chance to win.

Honorable Mention
Marcus Smart vs Jamal Murray
Murray is averaging 15.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 4.0 assists.  He is shooting 44.1% from the field and 36.4% from beyond the arc.  Marcus Smart has been playing very well with 34 assists and just 4 turnovers over the past 3 games.   He will need to continue to get his teammates involved along with playing his trademark tough defense on Murray. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is the key to every game.   The Celtics are 21st with a defensive rating of 112.5  The Nuggets have a defensive rating of 112.0, which is 20th.  The Celtics average 118.7 points per game (2nd), while the Nuggets average 116.7 points per game (7th).  The Celtics have shown flashes of playing good defense but have yet to do so consistently.  They need to make defense a priority, especially against the Nuggets, who are shooting 50.1% from the field as a team and 48.3% from beyond the arc (4th) as a team. 

Rebound -  Rebounding is another key to winning every game.  The Celtics are 22nd in the league, averaging 41.4 rebounds per game.  The Nuggets are 9th in the league with 45.5 rebounds per game.    Rebounding takes effort and the Celtics have to work harder to grab rebounds to limit the Nuggets second chance points and fast breaks.  The Celtics can't allow the Nuggets to outwork them on the boards because the Nuggets are 8-0 when they out rebound their opponents and 0-3 when they are out-rebounded. 

Effort and Energy - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team.  They have to fight for loose balls,  defend aggressively,  be aggressive in driving to the basket, and just play harder than the Nuggets for the entire game. They have to be the team that wants it more and play like it.  They especially have to begin the game with energy and not allow the Nuggets to race out to a big lead.

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics need to keep moving the ball to find the open man and make it much harder to guard them.  However, they have to be careful with their passes and not turn the ball over as the Nuggets average 18.6 points per game off turnovers.  The Celtics also need to be careful when they dribble the ball and not drive into a crowd and turn the ball over. 

X-Factors
Home Game - The Celtics are once again home and they should get a boost from the home crowd.  This is their second straight home game so they have the benefit of not having to travel also.  The Nuggets are playing in the 3rd game of a 4 game road trip and may be getting road weary. They have the distactions of travel, staying in hotels, and playing in front of a hostile crowd.   

Officiating - I know that I say this every game,  but the officiating can always be an x-factor.   Every crew calls the game differently whether they call every little ticky tack foul or they let a lot of contact go and let the teams play. The refs seem to be quick to call techs and assorted odd infractions this season.  The Celtics have got to adjust to the way the game is being called and not let the calls affect their focus or their play. 

Re: Nuggets (8-3) at Celtics (8-3) Game #12 11/11/22
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1805
Let's go Cs and make it 5 in a row.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 10:21:19 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Nuggets!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 10:23:11 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1805
Thanks FLCeltsFan for the TP and another great game thread...and a TP for you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 10:26:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Go Celts!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 09:02:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for another great thread FL.  Let's go (winning) streaking!!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 09:48:05 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The Celtics are favored by 4.5 points.  The over/under is 230.  That feels like a lot of points.  I guess I go under and Celtics to beat the spread.

Denver is a good team though and they have size.  They have won 6 of the last 7, including Utah but the other games were LAL, OKC, SAN (twice) and IND.  And of course the one loss in that stretch is against LAL.  They have been giving up a lot of points against some pretty bad teams.  I am sure that is why the over/under is so high.  We have been giving up points too but against better competition.

We are without Brogdon, that will probably result in less scoring by us. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:28:06 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
this is be a tough one- I am not sure who wins.
excited to watch PP get some extra mins, we need to get Jokic mad, thats the way they lose games. cause if hes comfortable we might lose. Miss Time lord in a match up like this. control the boards and don't turn the rock over.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 01:39:38 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The only guy we have who can be expected to defend Jokic is Horford.  Need to keep Horford out of foul trouble.  Both average about 31 min/gm.  Should be able to keep Horford on the floor when Jokic is on the floor.  When they sit Jokic, we should sit Horford.  Maybe put Vonleh on him a little but Vonleh will rack up fouls.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 01:45:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not gonna lie, Bones Hyland is quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the NBA to watch. Wish I could catch this game against my Cs.

Too bad Williams is still out. He gives Jokic fits.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 02:28:04 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
The only guy we have who can be expected to defend Jokic is Horford.  Need to keep Horford out of foul trouble.  Both average about 31 min/gm.  Should be able to keep Horford on the floor when Jokic is on the floor.  When they sit Jokic, we should sit Horford.  Maybe put Vonleh on him a little but Vonleh will rack up fouls.
Last time, Grant shut the Joker down and got the nickname Batman. Is Horford really the ONLY guy who can be expected to defend Jokic?

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 02:32:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Last time, Grant shut the Joker down and got the nickname Batman. Is Horford really the ONLY guy who can be expected to defend Jokic?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 03:00:59 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 02:50:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I would not expect 6'-6" Grant Williams to be able to defend 6'-11" Jokic on any regular basis.  Grant can be a surprising player at times.  I for one am worried if the game plan is for Grant to cover Jokic.  I admit though, I did not see that last game.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171

I would not expect 6'-6" Grant Williams to be able to defend 6'-11" Jokic on any regular basis.  Grant can be a surprising player at times.  I for one am worried if the game plan is for Grant to cover Jokic.  I admit though, I did not see that last game.
https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/4/12/22378991/grant-williams-huge-fourth-quarter-impact-celtics-win-over-nuggets-boston-denver-nikola-jokic-nba

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That was a great game for GW - though the truth is Grant tried to give himself that name, which you just can’t do. Somebody else has to give you a nickname.  And as JT said: “I’m gonna call him Grant. I’m not calling him no [dang] Batman.”

Now maybe if he can do it again, maybe that can change. Gonna be interesting to see if Jokic took it personally the way Grant popped off and whether Grant can take it to him.