Author Topic: Cavaliers (3-1) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 10/28/22  (Read 13898 times)

Re: Cavaliers (3-1) at Celtics (3-1) Game #5 10/28/22
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2022, 12:03:31 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
The defense is becoming atrocious. Maybe Udoka is the x-factor, with the game plan on defense etc. Need to improve in that department

Nah, I think Timelord is the X-factor. He’s the anchor. Team desperately needs him back.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #406 on: October 29, 2022, 12:18:00 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The defense is becoming atrocious. Maybe Udoka is the x-factor, with the game plan on defense etc. Need to improve in that department

Nah, I think Timelord is the X-factor. He’s the anchor. Team desperately needs him back.

They do, but he’s pretty much guaranteed to get hurt again, so Boston really needs two good backup bigs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #407 on: October 29, 2022, 12:38:55 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I truly believe the defense will fix itself as the season progresses. There are guys on this team that should not be though. The only new guy that will be getting any minutes in the playoffs is Brogdan. The big man depth is a complete joke for team of this status. There is no guarantee Timelord stays healthy when he comes back regardless.

« Reply #408 on: October 29, 2022, 01:34:37 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
We scored 75 Points in the first half...THEN we come out and WALK THE BALL UP THE COURT the entire 2nd half---only to have the shot clock tick down and have Marcus BRICK Smart chucking lousy 3 pointers,
SAME as the Finals....SAME. we are LOSERS.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #409 on: October 29, 2022, 04:02:09 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Better get a legit center & cant depend on TimeLord
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #410 on: October 29, 2022, 08:07:42 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
All this talk about bigs when it was two guards that dominated.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Smart look as bad and lethargic on defense.

Yes, we’re obviously thin up front, but signing a Dwight Howard or Derrick Favors, etc isn’t going to fix the fact that the team as a whole seems disinterested on the defensive end for the majority of games. 

« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I shut it off at the buzzer and just catching up on the thread now.  I’m not gonna defend Smart either, but I want to hear some regretful remarks from him.

I admit that the poor perimeter defense made Kornet look bad, but c’mon he provided no rim protection whatsoever. When Mitchell 6’1” dunked on him (7’2”) I knew it was over. Kornet was literally no better than a scarecrow out there. Give him his guaranteed money and let him go.  Vonleh has to be better, or Kabengele

Then there’s Griffin who looked much, much worse than I expected. He’s cooked (but we knew that, Brad, did you?)

On top of that, I think we saw the problem with this rookie coach. Couple of huge mistakes on substitutions and just WAY too many minutes for Kornet.

« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2022, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Typical early season difficulties from a team that had their coach removed, one of their key FA acquisitions lost for the season, and their all NBA defensive center go out.

We could talk about coulda, shoulda, wouldas, but that doesn't really help. They need help now and CBS reportedly knows it. He's also shown the creativity to add depth when needed.

« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2022, 10:12:52 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I definitely pick on the frontcourt (especially Kornet) but I'll also admit, Smart has been really annoying to start the season. Shooting very poorly but still jacking up shots, not exactly playing elite defense either, and making some boneheaded plays in crucial situations.

Ime did a good job reigning him in last season but now Joe's got to do the same and ideally ASAP

I'm not going to speculate too much on things but I will say, if this keeps up and White + Brogdon look good, I wouldn't be against packaging Smart in a trade to acquire a PF/C to go along with Horford, Timelord, Vonleh and Griffin. White + Brogdon can pick up the slack anyways.

Long season left but Smart better "smarten up" fast.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #414 on: October 29, 2022, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Kornet cannot play in the nba. He’s flat out terrible. Vonleah no better. One guy off the bench worth a darn.

Kornet +10 Smart -16...

Hauser +23, Jaylen -21...

Vonleh +5, Tatum -10...

It doesn't really work that way.

I watched the game. Smart was way worse than a -16. Just an eyesore...
He had a couple of moments where he got his hands on the ball and disrupted a play, but most of the night he was a turnstyle when it came to moving his feet.

« Reply #415 on: October 29, 2022, 03:11:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I shut it off at the buzzer and just catching up on the thread now.  I’m not gonna defend Smart either, but I want to hear some regretful remarks from him.

I admit that the poor perimeter defense made Kornet look bad, but c’mon he provided no rim protection whatsoever.
I'm not sure Brad had rim protection in mind when he decided to keep Kornet around. I think the idea was that with Grant out, he'd at least provide a little more size against Mobley & co..  Offensively he sets good picks, which in theory, would be helpful to the Jays and Brogdon running pick and rolls.

Kornet is what he is, and given that, I didn't think he was all that bad. I'm much more concerned that Blake looks cooked and Vonleh seems to have lost Mazzula's trust already.

The other thing I think is being overlooked is we're 5 games into the season and Brad still has some roster flexibility. The team you start with isn't necessarily the team you go to the playoffs with.  And they have something to deal if they need to (PP).  The market now won't be the market that's out there in January.

I'm all for seeing if Kornet can help any. If he can't you move on.