Author Topic: 3 Free Agents and 1 Trade to complete the Celtics.  (Read 2088 times)

3 Free Agents and 1 Trade to complete the Celtics.
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The three veteran signings and one trade the Celtics should make before the season.

Sign
1.  Hassan Whiteside - Perfect plug and play for Williams III to start the season, plus great back up since Kornet is not an answer here.
2.  LaMarcus Aldridge - Yes, you sign both the bigs here.  Aldridge can play the center position and still play the power forward.  He's a filler for Horford, gives us a veteran big to play through in the second unit. 
3.  Isaiah Thomas - Celtics sign him because the trade I'm suggesting.  He gives you instant offence whenever you plug him in.  He would be a great backup, fill in starter or just plug and play. 

Trade
1.  Payton Pritchard, 2024 2nd round pick to the Knicks for Cam Reddish.  Cam Reddish gives us a 3&D player wanting to have some minutes since in NY he didn't get many.  Here in Boston he could play a great filler off the bench and if starter like Brown or Tatum goes down, he could fill in the starting line up if needed.

This would be the roster the Celtics would have, the 15 dressed and 2 on two-way contracts. 

Starting Five
Center - Robert Williams III
Power Forward - Al Horford
Small Forward - Jason Tatum
Shooting Guard - Jaylen Brown
Point Guard - Marcus Smart

Back up Five
Center - Hassan Whiteside
Power Forward - Grant Williams
Small Forward - Cam Reddish
Shooting Guard - Derrick White
Point Guard - Malcolm Brogdon

End of Bench
Center - Luke Kornet
Power Forward - LaMarcus Aldridge
Small Forward - Sam Hauser
Point Guard - Isaiah Thomas
I.R. - Shooting Guard - Danilo Gallinari (If comes back keep him, if not he's not needed when you bring in Reddish.  He also gives you a trade piece to bring in someone if you want later in the year by attaching a pick at the deadline.)

Two-way Contracts
Center - Mfiondu Kabengele
Point Guard - JD Davison

Mind you this is just showing the roster with the four players the Celtics should add.  These give them the most flexibility in creating rosters and also this combination makes it if a player or two go down, their is less of a production drop off.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:13:55 AM by Celtics978Fan »

Re: 3 Free Agents and 1 Trade to complete the Celtics.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:11:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The trade doesn't work.  It's not possible to trade a cap hold.  You can sign-and-trade a free agent to another team, but that has certain consequences.  One of those is hard-capping us, which means we'd have to shed many millions in salary.

But, the trade works fine if we use a TPE instead of aggregating those salaries.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:13:27 AM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
I was using one of the trading machines online.  So legit just take their names out and it become Pitchard and a 2nd for Reddish.  Besides saying the trade doesn't work.  What do you think of the idea?

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 07:27:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was using one of the trading machines online.  So legit just take their names out and it become Pitchard and a 2nd for Reddish.  Besides saying the trade doesn't work.  What do you think of the idea?

I think that the Knicks will be looking for more than Pritchard and a #2, but I'd do that deal, yes.

I wouldn't sign IT.  Maybe Kemba, but probably not.  There aren't a lot of PGs let.  Perhaps DJ Augustin?

I'd be happy with Whiteside and Aldridge.  Or Whiteside and Carmelo.  Or Boogie and Carmelo.  Or D12 and Aldridge.  Two competent vets in the front court would make me happy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Yeah, they could be looking for more then Pritchard and a 2nd.  It would probably have to be a protected 1st.  If Reddish would be willing to sign an extension I'd be willing to give them Pritchard and a unprotected.  I feel he'd be a perfect fit here in Boston off the bench/could start.

The reason I say IT isn't just because of a fan favorite but he's got that gut and heart this team seriously lacked in the second unit.  Kemba I worry about the health and Augustin I do like but personally I think Thomas for this off the bench role for offence would be a better fit.

Whiteside and Aldridge are my picks personally because of the personality I think fits the best.  When you hear about, Cousins, Howard and Anthony you hear drama stories.  Yes, Melo has gotten better which I think would be a fit.  Just Whiteside being a guy who is okay being a backup now like he was in Utah and can still be a starter while Williams III heals.  Then Aldridge being a guy who can play the 5 or the 4 fills the need more as can play both.  Melo would be nice but I think if you do the trade for Reddish Melo's fit goes down.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pritchard isn't bringing much back in a trade, folks, you're over valuing him by a great deal.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 06:27:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Isn't Aldridge toast? He was unplayable in playoffs I thought.

I do like Reddish but doubt he is moved.

I think C's should have got in on Markkenan.

Right now I'd take a shot on Boogie over Whiteside or Dwight.

Maybe get KO at deadline after White rebuilds some value?

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Isn't Aldridge toast? He was unplayable in playoffs I thought.

I do like Reddish but doubt he is moved.

I think C's should have got in on Markkenan.

Right now I'd take a shot on Boogie over Whiteside or Dwight.

Maybe get KO at deadline after White rebuilds some value?
Trading White for Olynyk is weird, in my opinion. He could potentially be cut anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hate everything about this. LMA and IT aren't just toast, they're burnt toast. No thanks. Whiteside is a headache and this locker room after the Udoka situation isn't going to need players making waves.

And I think Cam Reddish is an inefficient bench scorer with very limited upside. Have never seen him play a good game. Pass on him too.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 09:29:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Couple of interesting ideas.  First is to trade Pritchard.  He is probably the 4th combo guard on the depth chart behind Smart, Brogdon, and White, so in that regard trading him does not hurt the "all healthy" rotation all that much.  And if we could get back a comparable level of talent but at the wing position, it would create a more balanced roster.  That wing would have to be a solid tick better than Hauser so that he could slot between Tatum and Hauser on the depth chart.  Not sure that Cam Reddish is that guy.  Seems like he has the potential to be that, but hasn't shown it yet, or at least not consistently.  Still only 23 though.

I think of him as the other pick that ATL got when they traded Luka for Trae.  I am sure that they were hoping for more out of that pick.  If he had developed into a solid starting level SF, you could almost argue that it wasn't a bad trade for ATL, but he didn't.  Instead they get Kevin Knox and a protected first which I don't believe has conveyed yet and could be as bad as 2 seconds in 2026 and 2027.

And the second interesting thing is to try and get both Whiteside and Aldridge.  I am all for Whiteside but Aldridge has not shown anything for a least a season, maybe two.  Not sure he is better than Kornet at this point.

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Couple of interesting ideas.  First is to trade Pritchard.  He is probably the 4th combo guard on the depth chart behind Smart, Brogdon, and White, so in that regard trading him does not hurt the "all healthy" rotation all that much.  And if we could get back a comparable level of talent but at the wing position, it would create a more balanced roster.  That wing would have to be a solid tick better than Hauser so that he could slot between Tatum and Hauser on the depth chart.  Not sure that Cam Reddish is that guy.  Seems like he has the potential to be that, but hasn't shown it yet, or at least not consistently.  Still only 23 though.

I think of him as the other pick that ATL got when they traded Luka for Trae.  I am sure that they were hoping for more out of that pick.  If he had developed into a solid starting level SF, you could almost argue that it wasn't a bad trade for ATL, but he didn't.  Instead they get Kevin Knox and a protected first which I don't believe has conveyed yet and could be as bad as 2 seconds in 2026 and 2027.

And the second interesting thing is to try and get both Whiteside and Aldridge.  I am all for Whiteside but Aldridge has not shown anything for a least a season, maybe two.  Not sure he is better than Kornet at this point.
Convince me that Denzel Valentine is not that guy either.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
No idea what we are going to get out of Denzel Valentine. But he is 6’-4” and a guard where as Hauser and Cam Reddish (and Tatum) are 6’-8” and forwards.   So no I don’t see Valentine as the guy to fill the back up small Forward spot.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 03:23:52 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Not a fan.

Whiteside and IT are one dimensional players who are major liabilities on the other end of the floor.  I dont mind Aldridge as a backup though.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I wouldn’t mind having Kemba back and coming off the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin