Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 106159 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #1020 on: September 17, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
PJ Dozier is signing a deal with the Twolves.  I’m surprised that we didn’t give him a look.
He had a good run in Denver, besides his efficiency.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1021 on: September 17, 2022, 09:17:39 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Saying Sandy Hook was staged is enough for me to consider Jones unhinged to a degree.  What sick Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. does something like that?

He's a despicable human.
Oh I agree he is a despicable human that is so driven by ratings and money that he will say anything, but watching clips of the Sandy Hook trial, he wasn't someone that was disassociated from reality, which is what someone who is unhinged is.  Alex Jones knows exactly what he is doing.  He is an awful terrible human, but he isn't unhinged.

Just to be clear “disassociated from reality” is a completely made up definition by Moranis. Here is the actual definition from Miriam Webster “highly disturbed, unstable, or distraught.”

Here is from Colin’s dictionary “If you say that someone comes or becomes unhinged, you mean that they begin to behave in an uncontrolled or unreasonable way.”

It is pretty important in these discussions we just don’t make up our own definitions for words and mislead the forum.

Also just to clarify again this is not an actual clinical term that is another part of this discussion that people have been providing misleading info on.

Alex Jones is clearly behaving in an unreasonable way. Don’t really get how this is a discussion but let’s at least use the real meaning of words in doing so.

This is an absolutely disengenous take - I have already cited the Cambridge dictionary and the Oxford learner’s dictionary in this thread, and whilst the OED requires a subscription the definition there also refers to mental health.

I’ve been travelling so haven’t had time to respond to this thread, but you are absolutely accusing moranis of doing precisely what you yourself were doing when this conversation started.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #1022 on: September 17, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25623
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saying Sandy Hook was staged is enough for me to consider Jones unhinged to a degree.  What sick Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. does something like that?

He's a despicable human.
Oh I agree he is a despicable human that is so driven by ratings and money that he will say anything, but watching clips of the Sandy Hook trial, he wasn't someone that was disassociated from reality, which is what someone who is unhinged is.  Alex Jones knows exactly what he is doing.  He is an awful terrible human, but he isn't unhinged.

Just to be clear “disassociated from reality” is a completely made up definition by Moranis. Here is the actual definition from Miriam Webster “highly disturbed, unstable, or distraught.”

Here is from Colin’s dictionary “If you say that someone comes or becomes unhinged, you mean that they begin to behave in an uncontrolled or unreasonable way.”

It is pretty important in these discussions we just don’t make up our own definitions for words and mislead the forum.

Also just to clarify again this is not an actual clinical term that is another part of this discussion that people have been providing misleading info on.

Alex Jones is clearly behaving in an unreasonable way. Don’t really get how this is a discussion but let’s at least use the real meaning of words in doing so.

This is an absolutely disengenous take - I have already cited the Cambridge dictionary and the Oxford learner’s dictionary in this thread, and whilst the OED requires a subscription the definition there also refers to mental health.

I’ve been travelling so haven’t had time to respond to this thread, but you are absolutely accusing moranis of doing precisely what you yourself were doing when this conversation started.

This entire argument is bizarre to me, since the term was used colloquially.

But, if "unhinged" had a specific meaning related to mental illness, wouldn't it appear in the DSM?

Even following one of the tabs from your own links:

"unhinged is not available in the medical dictionary"

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/unhinged

And, for every dictionary definition that refers to mental illness, there's another that does not.  Merriam-Webster doesn't, and they're largely the gold standard in America.  Perhaps it's a British vs. American English thing.  But either way, it's a strange thing to argue about, since in context the use of the term was pretty clear.  As one of your links suggested, people who follow Jones are unhinged, in terms of being "one sausage short of a fry up".

EDIT:  This just popped up in my Yahoo feed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alex-jones-ex-wife-says-022701725.html

Jones’ ex-wife:

“In person, as a human being, he is more unhinged and weirder and terrifying and threatening and looming and raging, I would say, than on screen

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:14:14 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1023 on: September 18, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

He's a despicable human.

But, if "unhinged" had a specific meaning related to mental illness, wouldn't it appear in the DSM?

And, for every dictionary definition that refers to mental illness, there's another that does not.  Merriam-Webster doesn't, and they're largely the gold standard in America.  Perhaps it's a British vs. American English thing.  But either way, it's a strange thing to argue about, since in context the use of the term was pretty clear.  As one of your links suggested, people who follow Jones are unhinged, in terms of being "one sausage short of a fry up".

Jones’ ex-wife:

“In person, as a human being, he is more unhinged and weirder and terrifying and threatening and looming and raging, I would say, than on screen

Sure - I saw your post earlier, and I think it’s important to keep in mind people share content for different reasons beyond earnest support - to troll, to “just ask questions”, to use extreme examples to normalise otherwise extreme points (e.g. you might think Jones is wrong about Sandy Hook being a sham but you might use it to argue against gun control), and you can’t necessarily “call it” from a distance.

Whether Jones is detached from reality has no bearing on Kyrie, in other words. And I addressed the colloquial use earlier - it’s the largely the same as “basket case”, which I’m sure no one would say doesn’t have a mental-health inference? The etymology of a word matters, surely.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #1024 on: September 18, 2022, 10:49:45 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

He's a despicable human.

Jones’ ex-wife:

Sure - I saw your post earlier, and I think it’s important to keep in mind people share content for different reasons beyond earnest support - to troll, to “just ask questions”, to use extreme examples to normalise otherwise extreme points (e.g. you might think Jones is wrong about Sandy Hook being a sham but you might use it to argue against gun control), and you can’t necessarily “call it” from a distance.

Whether Jones is detached from reality has no bearing on Kyrie, in other words. And I addressed the colloquial use earlier - it’s the largely the same as “basket case”, which I’m sure no one would say doesn’t have a mental-health inference? The etymology of a word matters, surely.

I can’t really even tell what you are trying to say here, but I do have to think at least part of your reaction to the word versus mine is cultural. I do hope we can all agree it doesn’t have an actual medical/clinical definition at this point (Moranis and others falsely claimed it had a very specific one). It is not in the dsm or the dictionary of psychological terms or Merriam Webster (as Roy mentions our gold standard for dictionaries in America which I also provided earlier). But yeah I don’t think this is really going anywhere. I’m very comfortable calling Alex Jones unhinged (and honestly much worse words). Probably won’t come up often on the forum though moving forward. Tp to Roy on this one also.

« Reply #1025 on: September 18, 2022, 10:53:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's a despicable human.

Jones’ ex-wife:

“Basket case” is interesting.  The origin of the term isn’t related to mental health.  It literally means a quadruple amputee.  Colloquially, it’s evolved into somebody with mental health problems, or who is extremely stressed and is struggling to cope.

If I’m understanding your position correctly, if somebody uses the colloquial version rather than the original meaning, they’re using it wrong?  If we say “Alex Jones is a basket case” when he has four functioning limbs, that person should be called out for their misuse of language?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1026 on: September 18, 2022, 11:12:24 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

He's a despicable human.

Jones’ ex-wife:

“Basket case” is interesting.  The origin of the term isn’t related to mental health.  It literally means a quadruple amputee.  Colloquially, it’s evolved into somebody with mental health problems, or who is extremely stressed and is struggling to cope.

If I’m understanding your position correctly, if somebody uses the colloquial version rather than the original meaning, they’re using it wrong?  If we say “Alex Jones is a basket case” when he has four functioning limbs, that person should be called out for their misuse of language?

50/50, it’s mostly just offseason banter but the initial back and forth isn’t/wasn’t about Kyrie’s soundness, it’s about the specificity & connotations (or not) of the verbiage.

It doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things :)

« Reply #1027 on: September 21, 2022, 09:37:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
According to Shams on some show called the Rally earlier today, the Lakers and Pacers have engaged as recently as this week about a Turner/Hield for Westbrook trade, but the Lakers have been unwilling to put both of their unprotected 1st's on the table, believing they can potentially do better with both those picks than Turner and Hield. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1028 on: September 21, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 987
According to Shams on some show called the Rally earlier today, the Lakers and Pacers have engaged as recently as this week about a Turner/Hield for Westbrook trade, but the Lakers have been unwilling to put both of their unprotected 1st's on the table, believing they can potentially do better with both those picks than Turner and Hield.

The Lakers are dumb if these rumors are true.  It’s essentially a first each for Hield and Turner, and they get to dump Westbrook for free.  They’re not going to get anything better.

« Reply #1029 on: September 21, 2022, 09:51:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The Lakers are dumb if these rumors are true.  It’s essentially a first each for Hield and Turner, and they get to dump Westbrook for free.  They’re not going to get anything better.

Agreed.  My guess is that they're hoping something opens up closer to the deadline.  Maybe things are a disaster in Atlanta, and they're willing to move Collins + Bogs for straight picks.  There are any number of potential scenarios.

But, I'm not a big fan of rebuilding a roster during the season.  So often, in-season trades aren't as effective as they look like they should be, because it takes players time to integrate.  I'd prefer to get players in before training camp and build chemistry over the course of a season.

« Reply #1030 on: September 21, 2022, 09:58:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Chicago Bulls guard Lonzo Ball will undergo an arthroscopic debridement of his left knee and will be reevaluated in four to six weeks, the team announced on Wednesday.

The surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday in Los Angeles -- the procedure will take place eight months after an initial knee surgery in January to repair a torn meniscus.

Ball has not played in a game since Jan. 14. Before the surgery in January, the team announced a recovery timeline of six to eight weeks, but the discomfort in his left knee has persisted throughout the rehab process whenever he tries to ramp up basketball activity.

« Reply #1031 on: September 21, 2022, 10:17:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3185
Chicago Bulls guard Lonzo Ball will undergo an arthroscopic debridement of his left knee and will be reevaluated in four to six weeks, the team announced on Wednesday.

The surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday in Los Angeles -- the procedure will take place eight months after an initial knee surgery in January to repair a torn meniscus.

Ball has not played in a game since Jan. 14. Before the surgery in January, the team announced a recovery timeline of six to eight weeks, but the discomfort in his left knee has persisted throughout the rehab process whenever he tries to ramp up basketball activity.

Ouch, bummer...

« Reply #1032 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He seems absolutely snake-bitten in terms of injuries. Constantly got something wrong
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1033 on: September 21, 2022, 10:40:38 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

« Reply #1034 on: September 22, 2022, 09:35:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield