Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104530 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #990 on: September 15, 2022, 10:14:58 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Kyrie irving shared an Alex Jones video today saying he tried to warn us featuring Alex Jones warning of plagues. I think the people that lost it on me for calling kyrie unhinged may owe me an apology lol.

Meh that still doesn't count as unhinged.

Lol what? Saying alex tried to warn us and sharing his content? The same guy that just paid millions of dollars for saying Sandy hook was fake and done by child actors? Should we worry about you man?

« Reply #991 on: September 15, 2022, 10:18:28 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Kyrie irving shared an Alex Jones video today saying he tried to warn us featuring Alex Jones warning of plagues. I think the people that lost it on me for calling kyrie unhinged may owe me an apology lol.

I think we're all in agreement that Kyrie's an 'open minded' idiot.

I still say that this doesn't, and didn't, mean he's unhinged - there's no psychotic break happening here, there's no derangement. When he's eating paste on a live stream, then you'll have a point. But if it makes you feel better, he's definitely got his mind so open that his brain seems to have fallen out :)

I don’t really get people thinking sharing Alex Jones content about plagues isn’t extremely concerning, but I don’t really want to try to explain to people what’s wrong with Alex Jones and sharing his content if they don’t already get it. It’s worse than easting paste tho and much more dangerous.

« Reply #992 on: September 16, 2022, 03:25:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Siding with Alex Jones does count as unhinged, categorically.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #993 on: September 16, 2022, 05:41:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I still say that this doesn't, and didn't, mean he's unhinged - there's no psychotic break happening here, there's no derangement. When he's eating paste on a live stream, then you'll have a point. But if it makes you feel better, he's definitely got his mind so open that his brain seems to have fallen out :)

I don’t really get people thinking sharing Alex Jones content about plagues isn’t extremely concerning, but I don’t really want to try to explain to people what’s wrong with Alex Jones and sharing his content if they don’t already get it. It’s worse than easting paste tho and much more dangerous.

You’re horrifically misrepresenting my position, so let me explain:
I don’t think there’s any disagreement about the merit (or lack thereof) of Alex Jones. He’s a grifter who peddles dangerous misinformation to gullible saps.

The “unhinged” discussion is and was an issue of semantics because you used a word that, while a passable synonym in casual conversation, is not really correct now and was certainly even less correct at the time.

Unless you think that every single person who has ever shared an Alex Jones video is, by virtue of that fact, “unhinged” (as in unable to think clearly because of mental illness*)?

You really want to diagnose Kyrie as being mentally ill from your armchair? This is the hill you want to die on?

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/unhinged
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/unhinged
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/unhinged

In Short: if this was the 90's and you called Kyrie 'retarded' for sharing this video I would have had the same complaint - not that I disagree with the thrust of what you're saying, but that the word doesn't really describe his behaviour beyond colloquial usage, and you could probably find a better one.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:50:11 AM by Kernewek »
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #994 on: September 16, 2022, 12:59:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You’re horrifically misrepresenting my position, so let me explain:
I don’t think there’s any disagreement about the merit (or lack thereof) of Alex Jones. He’s a grifter who peddles dangerous misinformation to gullible saps.

The “unhinged” discussion is and was an issue of semantics because you used a word that, while a passable synonym in casual conversation, is not really correct now and was certainly even less correct at the time.

Unless you think that every single person who has ever shared an Alex Jones video is, by virtue of that fact, “unhinged” (as in unable to think clearly because of mental illness*)?

You really want to diagnose Kyrie as being mentally ill from your armchair? This is the hill you want to die on?

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/unhinged
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/unhinged
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/unhinged

In Short: if this was the 90's and you called Kyrie 'retarded' for sharing this video I would have had the same complaint - not that I disagree with the thrust of what you're saying, but that the word doesn't really describe his behaviour beyond colloquial usage, and you could probably find a better one.

The dictionary link you said doesn’t even support what you are arguing. Two of the synonyms provided from that link are disturbed and unbalanced, which kyrie certainly seems to be. It may have been used differently among your friends and/or community but the comparison to retarded is absolutely preposterous, even from the link you provided. It’s a bit ironic you described me as choosing this as my hill to die on, cause you are clearly doing that with a very aggressive interpretation of the word. 

And to answer your question I do think the majority of people that share/like Alex Jones content are unhinged. This is a guy that literally said they turned frogs gay.

As part of this: “ One of Jones' most notorious conspiracy theories is that the government is using chemicals in order to turn people gay, using a mysterious "gay bomb" devised by the Pentagon.

"The reason there's so many gay people now is because it's a chemical warfare operation, and I have the government documents where they said they're going to encourage homosexuality with chemicals so that people don't have children," he said on his broadcast in 2010, according to NBC News.”

« Reply #995 on: September 16, 2022, 01:07:18 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Again, this has nothing to do with what Alex Jones says.

I do think you should re-read my post one more time, because pointing out that it’s a casual synonym to words you perhaps should have used instead is my point.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #996 on: September 16, 2022, 01:26:08 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I do think you should re-read my post one more time, because pointing out that it’s a casual synonym to words you perhaps should have used instead is my point.

I don’t know how the word was used in your personal life or experiences that made you have such a visceral reaction to it, but it does not change the appropriateness or meaning of the word. It’s entirely appropriate and accurate in the way I have used it. This was a very strange conversation and I think we have reached the end of it.

« Reply #997 on: September 16, 2022, 01:50:52 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Siding with Alex Jones does count as unhinged, categorically.

Tp Gouki. If you are supporting a guy that says the government is controlling the weather, creating tornadoes and turning people gay you really are by definition engaging in fantasy and delusion. This isn’t harmless stuff either see January 6th or also Edgar Welch.

« Reply #998 on: September 16, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

I don’t know how the word was used in your personal life or experiences that made you have such a visceral reaction to it, but it does not change the appropriateness or meaning of the word. It’s entirely appropriate and accurate in the way I have used it. This was a very strange conversation and I think we have reached the end of it.

Yeah imagine that - I hold the quaint opinion that words have meaning.

Anyway, you do you CC, TP for the banter :)

« Reply #999 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:12 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Tp back at you, always appreciate you even when we disagree.

« Reply #1000 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I’m curious, do you think that Alex Jones is unhinged? That a majority of his followers are? In a colloquial way or otherwise?

My phone’s voice detection  just translated “followers” to “fellow warriors”, haha.  Conservative / Trumpian bias?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1001 on: September 16, 2022, 03:15:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I’m curious, do you think that Alex Jones is unhinged? That a majority of his followers are? In a colloquial way or otherwise?

My phone’s voice detection  just translated “followers” to “fellow warriors”, haha.  Conservative / Trumpian bias?
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but Alex Jones is not unhinged and neither are the majority of the people that listen to them.  Jones caters to the fringe of society, but the fringe of society aren't unhinged just because they are the fringe of society.  Unhinged has a very specific medical connotation to it, i.e. people that have lost their basis in reality, that are unstable, distraught, deranged, unbalanced, etc.  Most of the people that listen to Jones are not in fact unhinged.  They are stable, they hold jobs, they function in society, etc.  Their world view is distorted and not accurate, but that doesn't make them mentally unstable, unbalanced, or distraught.   So I agree with what Kern is trying to say and portray.  Just because a person may have "crazy" beliefs, it doesn't make them unhinged. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1002 on: September 16, 2022, 03:19:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but Alex Jones is not unhinged and neither are the majority of the people that listen to them.  Jones caters to the fringe of society, but the fringe of society aren't unhinged just because they are the fringe of society.  Unhinged has a very specific medical connotation to it, i.e. people that have lost their basis in reality, that are unstable, distraught, deranged, unbalanced, etc.  Most of the people that listen to Jones are not in fact unhinged.  They are stable, they hold jobs, they function in society, etc.  Their world view is distorted and not accurate, but that doesn't make them mentally unstable, unbalanced, or distraught.   So I agree with what Kern is trying to say and portray.  Just because a person may have "crazy" beliefs, it doesn't make them unhinged.

You and Kern seem to be ignoring a colloquial meaning, though?

I think "their world view is distorted and not accurate" or "'crazy' beliefs" fits that colloquial definition.

In a world where "literally" colloquially means "not literally", I think we can let those using "unhinged" in a not strictly medical sense off the hook.  (And, I haven't followed any links for definitions, but I'd be shocked if "unhinged" had a clinical meaning, unlike words that did in the past, such as "retarded", "imbecile", "moron", and "idiot", all of which developed colloquial meanings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1003 on: September 16, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I’m very curious where you have gotten your demographic information on the kinds of people that still listen to Alex Jones in 2022. He is banned from Apple, Facebook and YouTube. A non insignificant amount of his followers have harassed the families that had kids killed while at school. This is textbook mentally unstable and unbalanced behavior. His show was also connected with the capital insurrection and a man bringing a gun to a pizza place to break up a Hilary Clinton pedophile ring. A significant amount of his listening population to in fact exist on the fringes of society. I don’t know what percentage it is, but claiming to know like you do is again presenting opinion as fact.

I’m also extremely dubious of your claim that it has a “very specific medical connotation.” What exactly is that? It’s not in the APA dictionary of psychology. Did you just completely make this up with no reason?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:37:00 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1004 on: September 16, 2022, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Saying Sandy Hook was staged is enough for me to consider Jones unhinged to a degree.  What sick Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. does something like that?

He's a despicable human.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team