Author Topic: Celtics engaged in extension talks with Rozier  (Read 4612 times)

Re: Celtics engaged in extension talks with Rozier
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I really hope they resign him now but I do not think the chances are that high unless they feel they are getting a discount.  If he's asking for 17-20 it won't get done.  If he's asking for 15-16 I can see them doing it.  The C's need Rozier and Smart this year.  If Kyrie pulls a Carlos Boozer and bolts then they have their guys locked up.  I doubt that will happen so when the C's make their run this year they will see out of Rozier and Smart who is more essential to the team.  The other will most likely get moved.  A ton of teams will have cap space next year and either player should appeal to other teams.  I am for resigning Rozier and turning one of him and Smart into future assets.  Rozier and Smart locked up are more valuable then Rozier on a 1 year RFA.  The C's need Rozier this year so having to wait 6 months is not a big deal.

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
With Marcus you know what you are getting- he is the same player he was for about 2-3 seasons.
Rozier had one great playoffs last year, but before that he wasn't anything special- few flashes, few good games- nothing over the top.   

Factually incorrect. As a starter before the playoffs he went for 15.6 pts, 6.4 rebs, 5.1 asts over 33 mpg. His stats and efficiency in the playoffs were very close to that. Basically it's who he is as a starter at age 24. That's pretty 'over the top'
True- i should have said since Kyrie got injured, not just the playoff. 

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
As much as I'd love for Rozier to take a team friendly deal, if I were him I wouldn't, I would be comparing myself to Reggie Jackson ($80m/5yrs) and Dennis Schroder ($70m/4yrs).

Those guys were playing behind All-Star PGs, got the chance to start and got paid.  Schroder was probably seen as the better player of the 3 and also had the benefit of playing behind someone viewed as more of a solid starter than real All-Star (Teague vs Westbrook/Irving/Isaiah).  But Rozier's rise has been incredibly similar to Jackson's.  Similar improvement in numbers by year, superstar PG goes down in Year 3, and you look good while replacing him.  And once Jackson got traded he definitely looked legit (until knee injuries kind of derailed him).  If I was Rozier, it would be hard for me to pass up the opportunity to shine and get paid.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The case for extending him:

1) Punts on the "Marcus or Terry" question.

2) Preserves Rozier's trade value, AND allows the Celtics to keep him at the lower salary for this year as an insurance policy for Kyrie. His extension makes him a poison pill contract so it puts his chances of being traded this season at 0%.

3) Creates a larger contract to trade next summer for us, something we really needed. If Rozier is making $15 million next season, that's around 19 million we can take back.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Terry in hand is worth more than Terry in the bush.
Let's get it done. It would actually raise Terry's trade value.

Exactly what I was thinking... Trading TR locked for 3 4 years is much better than as an expiring. If he gets trades that is....
If we trade him we'd presumably have to take equal salary back, which is a big part of why we don't want to sign him in the first place.  Does not compute for me at all.

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Exactly what I was thinking... Trading TR locked for 3 4 years is much better than as an expiring. If he gets trades that is....
If we trade him we'd presumably have to take equal salary back, which is a big part of why we don't want to sign him in the first place.  Does not compute for me at all.
Next summer, AD.
Sounds good to me, if we sign him to a good market value deal.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
From Rozier's point of view, he may view this year as risky in terms of maintaining perceived value. There is a minutes issue that just wasn't there last year. We'll find out soon enough just what Stevens is planning to do, but I just don't see how Smart and Rozier both play satisfactory minutes.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure but assume that the restrictions for Rozier are similar to Rondo a few years back.  Rondo could have signed an extension but they couldn't offer more than some limit which was perceived to be below is full FA market value.  Rondo chose to hold out for the larger deal but never got it.

Rozier must do the same analysis.  He can extend and be really set but still be up for UFA in just a few years when he will be at his peak.  There are risks either way.  Extend and you might get traded somewhere you don't want to go.  Wait to be a FA and you might get injured or see your value regress.  It seems to me the best thing is to just extend, ride out this Boston thing some more and go for the home run next contract.  If he does that, he very well could be traded into a starting situation but he would have no control over where he was traded (the downside to extending).

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What happened to IT is a legit concern for players considering holding out for the bigger payday.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't see any way he signs a deal now, the Celts are just doing their due diligence and seeing if they can get him to agree to a team friendly contract. He said in an interview that the guys upstairs are making their business decisions, and that he would make his business decision (I don't have a link, I heard the quote on a podcast.)

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The case for extending him:

1) Punts on the "Marcus or Terry" question.

2) Preserves Rozier's trade value, AND allows the Celtics to keep him at the lower salary for this year as an insurance policy for Kyrie. His extension makes him a poison pill contract so it puts his chances of being traded this season at 0%.

3) Creates a larger contract to trade next summer for us, something we really needed. If Rozier is making $15 million next season, that's around 19 million we can take back.
#3 is key from my viewpoint.  he'd be that large salary we could use in a deal for AD next summer.  Kyrie would have to have signed his new contract before that trade but Rozier on a 3-4 year deal would be a big chip in a trade for a prime player

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

BINGO