What would you do?

Exercise
26 (32.5%)
Decline
46 (57.5%)
Unsure
8 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?  (Read 6727 times)

Re: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Celtics are going to need some cheap talent going forward and I think Yabu still has a lot of potential. He'll likely be worth the (relatively) small amount of money.
What is his NBA skill?

Right now it's all potential. He's very strong, moves well for his size and has a great motor. He's also shown an ability to shoot in other leagues.

He hasn't been able to focus any of that yet into what I would call an NBA caliber skill but when you look at that flying block he had against Charlotte, it's clear to me that if he can figure out the mental end of the game he'll be a contributor. Given the amount of money it costs to find out, I'd take that gamble.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
The Celtics are going to need some cheap talent going forward and I think Yabu still has a lot of potential. He'll likely be worth the (relatively) small amount of money.
What is his NBA skill?

He's very strong, moves well for his size

I'd say he's apparently strong, but his ability to use his strength to do useful things is not a lot in evidence. How about turning that into 12% offensive rebounding?

I'd say that he's got good feet but staying in front of his man is a weakness, rotating is a weakness. Some of that, at least, is just learning.

and has a great motor.

I'd say average.

He's also shown an ability to shoot in other leagues.

In the NBA, in fact. He finished really well around the rim (.769, scorching hot and a good reason for him to figure out offensive rebounding; he shot .583 on twos overall, also excellent); and while .324 is not great from the arc, it's at least promising for a rookie (I'm mindful, though, that Marcus Smart shot .335 in his rookie year, which is so far a career high for him...). Y also showed a knack for getting to the line (.361 Free Throw Rate, really outstanding, though mostly not in rotation minutes, against lesser opponents); but he really needs to shoot it better when he gets there (.682, grade C-minus).

He hasn't been able to focus any of that yet into what I would call an NBA caliber skill but when you look at that flying block he had against Charlotte, it's clear to me that if he can figure out the mental end of the game he'll be a contributor. Given the amount of money it costs to find out, I'd take that gamble.

I voted Yexit, but only because I wasn't willing to think about it too long. The Yemains make good points - he does have the potential to be unique, and that is a great asset in the NBA, where you can make a career out of being a nightly mismatch.

It's a little early, but I'm ready to put Williams ahead of him (and I'm already assuming that Theis and Ojeleye are there already). Looks to me as though Williams has good feel for spacing, is decisive with the ball and with his movement, has good size regardless of athleticism, and has off-the charts athleticism regardless of size.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:26:02 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
TP Hoopvortex, I think too, he does not play to his strengths and thinks he is somekind of three point marksmen which he definitely is not.

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Decline. He’s not very good.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
and has a great motor.

I'd say average.]

I don't know. Every time I see him on the court he's doing stuff. It's frequently not the right stuff but he's making things happen.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Decline. He is not an NBA quality player.

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
and has a great motor.

I'd say average.]

I don't know. Every time I see him on the court he's doing stuff. It's frequently not the right stuff but he's making things happen.

Perhaps I'll take another look.  I've saved the Cleveland games for in-depth viewing.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
and has a great motor.

I'd say average.]

Perhaps I'll take another look.  I've saved the Cleveland games for in-depth viewing.
There's a difference between being active and having a good motor.  Anybody can be active for short spurts.  The motor part comes over extended minutes.  IMO, he has an average motor but likely none of us have seen enough of him yet.  Coaching staff knows how good his motor is.

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
and has a great motor.

I'd say average.]

There's a difference between being active and having a good motor.  Anybody can be active for short spurts.  The motor part comes over extended minutes.  IMO, he has an average motor but likely none of us have seen enough of him yet.  Coaching staff knows how good his motor is.
During his formative basketball years, he decided to leave Europe for China. Nuf said.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I voted no, but I do wonder if he might have Terry Rozier like trajectory.  Rozier looked awful early on, but hit another gear seemingly out of nowhere. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I voted no, but I do wonder if he might have Terry Rozier like trajectory.  Rozier looked awful early on, but hit another gear seemingly out of nowhere.

It wasn't out of nowhere for me. I saw signs even in his rookie year. I don't see the same potential in Yabu, despite really wanting to.

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
and has a great motor.

I'd say average.]

During his formative basketball years, he decided to leave Europe for China. Nuf said.

His French team got relegated. Not many other teams showed serious interest (since it would be for one year before he came to the NBA), and China offered him a lot of money. The competition in China was probably better than he would have faced in a lower French division, too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ainge will keep him for "mathematical reasons" if nothing else.

I only saw "offense" when he arrived here and I just haven't seen much of that beyond an occasional three.

The debate is an odd one. Yabusele will get what? 2 or 3 minutes a game this season? And will one of those minutes be in a game that matters?

That $3M and change will come in handy on a matching salary.

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

It wasn't out of nowhere for me. I saw signs even in his rookie year. I don't see the same potential in Yabu, despite really wanting to.

Similar for Avery Bradley too.  He had a tough rookie season but I felt from the beginning that he had the ability.  Just not seeing the same upside with Yabusele.  We needed a stash when we drafted him so I am sure that was an important factor but he just doesn't seem to quite have it.

It is inconsequential if we sign him or not at this point, barring some surprising level of improvement.