Author Topic: Do I stand alone in Re-signing Rozier  (Read 5099 times)

Re: Do I stand alone in Resigning Rozier
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Just remember to double and eventually triple the money you pay him.  So the answer is no, can’t keep him.  And I know people want to say, it’s not my money.  But there is a limit.  Keeping rozier would eventually lead to money saving moves somewhere else.

I’m very curious what that limit is for ownership.  If I were a Celtics owner worth 2 billion plus I would feel it’s my duty to put the best team out there.  If we were to re-sign Rozier between 15 to 20 mil it would still be a very tradeable contract, and useful in a potential future trade for a star.

But I’m not a Celtics owner so who knows what ownership is thinking.  I’d love to be a fly on the wall listening to conversations between Ainge and ownership.

Re: Do I stand alone in Re-signing Rozier
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I love this team. Keep them all together. Pay them all.

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like Rozier but he is often hot or cold.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If they can get him for 4/$60-$64M, I would actually try to get him to sign an extension before the October deadline passes.

I feel like that would give the Celtics more leverage next summer to negotiate a trade with he or Smart by July 1st rather than waiting to lose him on an offer sheet.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just remember to double and eventually triple the money you pay him.  So the answer is no, can’t keep him.  And I know people want to say, it’s not my money.  But there is a limit.  Keeping rozier would eventually lead to money saving moves somewhere else.
My issue is with people that pretend to know what that limit is.

Every owner has a different threshold for how much tax they are willing, or can afford, to pay.

And even if it proves you're right in your assumption, who's to say that keeping Rozier and trading someone else to save money isn't the smarter play anyways.

Re: Do I stand alone in Resigning Rozier
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yep. I don't know enough about the cap to come up with a firm number but my understanding is that the repeater tax gets to be a real killer and with the Celtics already, currently over the tax it doesn't sound like keeping everyone is an option.

So if the question is do we keep Smart or Rozier? My pick is Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think most people would like to bring Rozier back, as whoever winds up taking his roster spot if he leaves is almost certainly going to be a step down, but it depends on what his market rate winds up being. RFA is tough to predict sometimes - some guys you're convinced will have a strong market have their landing spots dry up quickly and other guys get silly money. Hell, there's a non-zero chance Rozier's back on the QO next year if Phoenix and Orlando find point guards elsewhere.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
If Rozier accepted 4 years 52 million same contract as Smart that would be a steal and everyone should want him back at that price.

Do you care if the owners have to reach deeper into their ridiculously deep pockets? I wasn't big on giving Irving near 200 million, but At 189 million. Great Deal!

I found myself convincing my friend who is I huge Kyrie supporter that this is worth it. Screw it. Why do we act like it's our money.

The Celtics are probably worth over 2 Billion now. I can't believe I've ever cared about the luxury Tax. After paying Brown, Tatum I hope we pay the highest Tax ever seen.

If itmeans we are winning multiple championship I'm all for it.

I'd rather have Rozier than Smart.

At least Rozier can shoot.

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 12:24:04 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If Rozier accepted 4 years 52 million same contract as Smart that would be a steal and everyone should want him back at that price.

Do you care if the owners have to reach deeper into their ridiculously deep pockets? I wasn't big on giving Irving near 200 million, but At 189 million. Great Deal!

I found myself convincing my friend who is I huge Kyrie supporter that this is worth it. Screw it. Why do we act like it's our money.

The Celtics are probably worth over 2 Billion now. I can't believe I've ever cared about the luxury Tax. After paying Brown, Tatum I hope we pay the highest Tax ever seen.

At least rozier can shoot is a rather simplified way to compare the two.  There are things that smart does better than rozier too.

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

At least rozier can shoot is a rather simplified way to compare the two.  There are things that smart does better than rozier too.

I'll take Rozier over Smart any day. Smart is a bit of a knucklehead. Today was a good example.

Punching out a glass picture frame is another example.

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 01:03:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I'll take Rozier over Smart any day. Smart is a bit of a knucklehead. Today was a good example.

i must of missed it. what to smart do that was not so smart?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:53 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

He got ejected tonight because he took a run and JR after he got tangled up with Baynes.  Smart had to be dragged to the floor by Tatum and rozier. 

And yeah, there’s no question that smart can lose it now and then.  But many teams love that kinda f player.  Smart brings things that no one on the team does.  I’d take him over rozier.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Went after JR after JR pushed Baynes, subsequently got ejected. Not sure how anyone can be mad about that though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 01:36:52 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
No, you do not stand alone.

We need everyone on that team to stay in Boston to keep us strong enough to win multiple titles. Guys like Rozier, Smart, Morris, Baynes, Theis give us the talent and depth we need to win. It is a long season and a tough league.

I hope we have not agreed to pay Irving so much money that we sacrifice some of our bench guys. They will be the difference come playoffs. While other teams throw out their convoluted lineups while resting two or three starters, the Celts can bring starter level players out and make the kind of runs that win games.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Becomes a question of priorities. Rozier may have been the only player or person involved with the Celtics who wasn't ecstatic when Kyrie committed to re-signing with the team. I am sure he was mostly happy but he would also understand that, as he plays the same position, this has consequences for his future.

Love Rozier and the way he has developed but at the end of the day he is a starting PG playing behind an all star who is a very special player. With the salary cap you just can't stock talent. Good for the game but not so good for TR staying a Celtic beyond this season.