9 (39.1%)
Only Agree About CBS & Timeouts
2 (8.7%)
Only Agree About Being Consistent And Holding Leads Better
3 (13%)
No. Don't Agree With Any Of Them. They Aren't Real Concerning Issues
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Two Nagging Issues - CBS & Timeouts + Holding Double-Digit Leads  (Read 6118 times)

Re: Two Nagging Issues - CBS & Timeouts + Holding Double-Digit Leads
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Come on, double digit leads are virtually meaningless in the NBA.  These guys are so good.  As has been said thousands of times, the NBA is a game of runs.

they only tend to lose the double digit lead whenever Kyrie sits. somethings not right about the Rozier/Brown/Hayward combo of the second unit that even injecting Morris with that unit didn't help.

Brown needs to get his shot back and Hayward should be the Kyrie of the second unit...just attack,attack,attack the basket..he becomes useless when he stands in the corner and starts counting his max money Danny gave him. Sometimes I think he is just disinterested he just wants to be home to play his video games.

I think Hayward has gone even more gun shy after these meetings. He's in a tough place- some of his younger teammates arent playing well and he somewhat feels guilty, he is not playing well but he knows he needs minutes but does not want to cause more trouble. Then you add the fact he isn't where he wanted to be yet and unsure if he would ever get to that level and it certainly doesnt help that so-called fans are petty and not being supportive.

Also it always amazes me when fans make assumptions on what people think. Hayward has been a professional for 8 years who worked to get to where he was. Nothing in his previous history has suggested laziness. Why would he all of a sudden take the year off to play Fortnite? Just because he got paid? He’s not the only player who plays video games either.

We’re all disappointed his recovery and return to All Star Hayward has been much slower than expected but making an assumption that Hayward is happy he ducks and would rather play fortnite than get better seems kind of silly to me. But what do I know   :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The two areas I thought he did poorly last game was leaving Kyrie out for too long in the fourth and not telling the team to push the ball when it was clear that Embiid was tired.

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Stevens is a good college level coach. He can coach up a team that has no talent and have them overachieve. For that, i give him credit. When it comes to getting a team over the top and into title contention he is too flawed. His rotations/substitutions are pre-planned and are not going with the flow of the actual game being played. As mentioned in this thread his timeouts are always too late. By the time he calls them the other team has built up a huge head of steam. Am i saying that he needs to be replaced? Not necessarily. But i do think he needs to look himself in the mirror for the lackluster coaching job he's done this season.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stevens is a good college level coach. He can coach up a team that has no talent and have them overachieve. For that, i give him credit. When it comes to getting a team over the top and into title contention he is too flawed. His rotations/substitutions are pre-planned and are not going with the flow of the actual game being played. As mentioned in this thread his timeouts are always too late. By the time he calls them the other team has built up a huge head of steam. Am i saying that he needs to be replaced? Not necessarily. But i do think he needs to look himself in the mirror for the lackluster coaching job he's done this season.
Stevens wasn't a good college level coach. He was an amazing college level coach. And he is one of the top 3-4 coaches in the NBA.

Stevens is definitely part of this team's problems but no more or less so than Ainge, his other coaches, the training and medical staff and all the players. Everyone is to blame.

But Stevens is definitely a huge part of the solution to get better. He is a great coach. He will turn this team around.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brad's so good at ATOs that it makes sense to save the timeouts, to the extent possible, for the last 6 minutes or so, provided you expect the game to be close at the end.

I agree that at times it feels that he waits too long.

As for holding leads, it's a vexing issue but I think part of the problem is that whenever the team builds a big lead and then the other team makes a run to make it close again, that's going to stick out in your mind. 

Sometimes, though, it's just part of the ebb and flow of the game.

Do the Celts actually fail to hold onto double digit leads more than other good teams?  Do they tend to fight back from being down double digits more than other good teams? 

The Celts are a +6.6 team overall.  To some extent it speaks well of them that they tend to build double digit leads, in the first place.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I continue to think that his letting the team play through the tough stretches teaches them how to deal with those situations better and is a big reason why this crew has been so good at picking themselves up no matter what (player injuries, in game deficits, etc.). It might be frustrating in the moment but it pays dividends long term.

As for the losing of double digit leads. I think that has to rest on the defense. When the other team gets hot, you have to be able to calmp down and as good of a defensive team as they've been, I haven't seen that ability to just shut teams down like the elite defensive teams do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Stevens wasn't a good college level coach. He was an amazing college level coach. And he is one of the top 3-4 coaches in the NBA.

Stevens is definitely part of this team's problems but no more or less so than Ainge, his other coaches, the training and medical staff and all the players. Everyone is to blame.

But Stevens is definitely a huge part of the solution to get better. He is a great coach. He will turn this team around.

I agree with you that he is a huge part of the solution to get better. He has the ability to get better just like the players do. Unfortunately he hasn't made any significant adjustments yet but i'm still hoping that he figures it out. He's been really bad this year.

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i ll add one other thing

CBS can kill a run by removing a hot player quicker than any coach i ever seen.  When. non star is feeling it ....let the guy have his day.

This is part of giving up the big leads ....idf you have something working that day ....be dang glade you found it early and LEAvE it the bleep alone.

Removing the 1or two guys that got it going , is killing the team CBs

a few rare guys like Lebron , Curry or Kyrie etc ,  can be pulled and usually go straight back to scoring .   

Guys like Brown and Rozier of course at not that elite .  So when they got it going , you need to ride em till they drop.  usually ...next time they reenter the game they quickly disappear.

CBS has a guy going wild .....DUDE !!,....let him play .....SMH.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
i ll add one other thing

CBS can kill a run by removing a hot player quicker than any coach i ever seen.  When. non star is feeling it ....let the guy have his day.

This is part of giving up the big leads ....idf you have something working that day ....be dang glade you found it early and LEAvE it the bleep alone.

Removing the 1or two guys that got it going , is killing the team CBs

a few rare guys like Lebron , Curry or Kyrie etc ,  can be pulled and usually go straight back to scoring .   

Guys like Brown and Rozier of course at not that elite .  So when they got it going , you need to ride em till they drop.  usually ...next time they reenter the game they quickly disappear.

CBS has a guy going wild .....DUDE !!,....let him play .....SMH.

Resting Kyrie is what kept him fresh enough to make all of those huge plays down the stretch and in OT. I have no problem with that.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree with you that he is a huge part of the solution to get better. He has the ability to get better just like the players do. Unfortunately he hasn't made any significant adjustments yet but i'm still hoping that he figures it out. He's been really bad this year.
He hasn't made any significant adjustments yet? Are you kidding?

The team was 10-10 when he decided to bench Brown and Hayward and inserted Smart and Morris into the starting lineup. They are 10-3 since and could well have been 12-1 if the team didn't lose their starting center, starting power forward, 2nd string center and a bench PF for some games.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
He is a great coach but when Embiid was gassed we should have pushed the pace.

Resting Kyrie is what kept him fresh enough to make all of those huge plays down the stretch and in OT. I have no problem with that.

Yes, and not resting him we might have won straight out and no need for overtime but we will never know.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yes, and not resting him we might have won straight out and no need for overtime but we will never know.

That's the type of mismanagment that leads to a lot of losses.

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No, we wouldnt be able to push the pace because Kyrie would be tired as well.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

He hasn't made any significant adjustments yet? Are you kidding?

The team was 10-10 when he decided to bench Brown and Hayward and inserted Smart and Morris into the starting lineup. They are 10-3 since and could well have been 12-1 if the team didn't lose their starting center, starting power forward, 2nd string center and a bench PF for some games.

BINGO! These "fans" have been killing the team for losing 3 straight despite missing their most important player. The entitlement is driving me crazy.

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
That's the type of mismanagment that leads to a lot of losses.

That is purely your opinion and can't be proven one way or the other can it?    I bet you've never managed anything besides fantasy basketball?.  The thing about snarkey comments is that you have to respect the person for them to hurt, that does not apply here.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:52:28 PM by Celtics4ever »