Author Topic: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?  (Read 5455 times)

Re: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 01:07:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's what I don't understand. We had a 42-18 record last season with Kyrie IN the lineup. We had a 13-9 record with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time that we played them).

This year we have a 33-28 record with him in the lineup, and 10-2 with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time we played them).

So for whatever reason last season they got along just fine with Kyrie in the lineup. Only thing different is that this season Jaylen is coming off the bench with Mook and Smart starting, last season Jaylen was starting and Mook and Smart were coming off the bench. How is it that all of a sudden this year we have all these chemistry issues and team issues?
I think it's easy to see why there is chemistry issues. Hayward was force fed minutes, and still is to some extent, and it angered guys who's minutes may have suffered. Rozier played selfishly all year forcing up shots because he is in a contract year. Morris did too but was lucky enough to start the season hot. Brown struggled to start. Tatum went Kobe on the team and it all set up a vets vs youth dynamic that split the team. Then Kyrie decided to be a leader by publically calling out the youth, making things worse. Then the Davis trade/questioning Kyrie's word he would return/Tatum kinda confirmed to be traded this off season with possibly Brown, Smart, Yabu, Semi and Williams also having to be included for salary stuff happened and destroyed the locker room.

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Here's what I don't understand. We had a 42-18 record last season with Kyrie IN the lineup. We had a 13-9 record with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time that we played them).

This year we have a 33-28 record with him in the lineup, and 10-2 with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time we played them).

So for whatever reason last season they got along just fine with Kyrie in the lineup. Only thing different is that this season Jaylen is coming off the bench with Mook and Smart starting, last season Jaylen was starting and Mook and Smart were coming off the bench. Gordon wasn't there last season and has been on the bench this season for all but the first 20 games. How is it that all of a sudden this year we have all these chemistry issues and team issues of "young guys vs vets"?
Slumps have been effecting play on both sides this year all year. As is expectations. That is what I think kills the chemistry. There is no mental toughness. There are no positive leaders cheering guys on or picking guys up. No one is sacrificing. I blame a lot on DA for not recognizing a need for more defense first guys and less gunners. If these guys aren't scoring they arent happy or defending it's sad.

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So for whatever reason last season they got along just fine with Kyrie in the lineup. Only thing different is that this season Jaylen is coming off the bench with Mook and Smart starting, last season Jaylen was starting and Mook and Smart were coming off the bench. Gordon wasn't there last season and has been on the bench this season for all but the first 20 games. How is it that all of a sudden this year we have all these chemistry issues and team issues of "young guys vs vets"?
Slumps have been effecting play on both sides this year all year. As is expectations. That is what I think kills the chemistry. There is no mental toughness. There are no positive leaders cheering guys on or picking guys up. No one is sacrificing. I blame a lot on DA for not recognizing a need for more defense first guys and less gunners. If these guys aren't scoring they arent happy or defending it's sad.
Except the team has a top 5 defense this year, though it's been awful since the Davis/Kyrie drama that happened last month.

This team can very much play great defense. This group played great defense last year. It's not that the players can't play great defense, they just haven't been putting in the effort lately.

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

the "young guy's" who earned their right to their mins. were ready to hit the ground running had their role reduced in favor of a guy who wasn't ready and at first felt they had to cover for his inability and carry him to a lesser extent. this led to the team resenting the coach and resenting the veterans that were trying to tell them to just play.

then kyrie started resenting the young guys and brad for how he handled the whole situation because he agrees that hayward probably shouldn't have started or gotten a larger role to begin the season over the young guys who earned it but also thinks they need to get over it and just play.

that's what happened.

sooo all of this could have been avoided if Steven's just came to the realization before pre-season that the guy with a broken leg might not be ready for a large role much less start in favor of 1st and 2nd yr. guys that were ready to go full steam. this can't be refuted because he ended up benching hayward and almost immediately we played a little better. but the damage was already done and every little thing was going to be an issue after that.

why you would mess with the psyche of a young player that's had some success is beyond me.

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Except the team has a top 5 defense this year, though it's been awful since the Davis/Kyrie drama that happened last month.

This team can very much play great defense. This group played great defense last year. It's not that the players can't play great defense, they just haven't been putting in the effort lately.
The team isn't the individuals is my point. It's the behavior when guys are slumping. Players have mentioned the same things I have said. Collectively they are still managing their record shows it but they aren't good they are simply middle of the playoff pack right now in their play.

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 02:16:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Maybe, but I seriously doubt they can beat Toronto on the road.  But having said that, the way things are lining up that would be in the Eastern Conference Finals, and I am guessing everyone would take that outcome right now given how things have gone this year.

There are a few parallels to last year to, I just checked and following a 4-game win streak to start 2018 they went 21-17 to finish the season.  Granted, Kyrie was hurt, but I think you are seeing a lot of the same issues.

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

The change (the problem) is that the young guys seemed to get a little full of themselves after last year's postseason and thought they could do this thing without Kyrie and Gordon—in fact, they wanted to do it without Kyrie and Gordon.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Absolutely - especially when we get GH back and get Baynes healthy again.

Give me GH at even 80% for the ENTIRE playoffs and I'll see you in June 2019.

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If they have the desire...which seems doubtful right now. But, they do have good enough talent and should be able to make a push. Hopefully a solid first round will give them that edge. The ceiling on this team is still pretty high so you have to at least watch the playoffs.

And it doesn't really matter how far they go, Danny is going to try and sell the farm for AD. If he succeeds, then what will have happened this year will not matter in the least.

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This team still hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet after tonight.

Brooklyn is 5 games behind them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 04:13:16 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

So for whatever reason last season they got along just fine with Kyrie in the lineup. Only thing different is that this season Jaylen is coming off the bench with Mook and Smart starting, last season Jaylen was starting and Mook and Smart were coming off the bench. How is it that all of a sudden this year we have all these chemistry issues and team issues?
I think it's easy to see why there is chemistry issues. Hayward was force fed minutes, and still is to some extent, and it angered guys who's minutes may have suffered. Rozier played selfishly all year forcing up shots because he is in a contract year. Morris did too but was lucky enough to start the season hot. Brown struggled to start. Tatum went Kobe on the team and it all set up a vets vs youth dynamic that split the team. Then Kyrie decided to be a leader by publically calling out the youth, making things worse. Then the Davis trade/questioning Kyrie's word he would return/Tatum kinda confirmed to be traded this off season with possibly Brown, Smart, Yabu, Semi and Williams also having to be included for salary stuff happened and destroyed the locker room.

Shows you the fragility of team spirit and chemistry doesn't it. This is a failure of implementing a team above everything else culture.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Nah, that's just whistling in the dark.

This team never had a chance, and it's all Danny's fault.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The teams construction,  Hayward, no upgrades ,  and the chasing of Davis ....I don't think FO ever thought they were going to win it all.  I believe an entertaining season and post season appearance was the realistic vision.

we ll see what the off season brings.  not a clue myself

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
UEs.  Teams don’t care they want to preserve their bodies and get to the playoffs.  Brad needs to sit a lot of guys the rest of the way

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I believe they can make finals run despite it being unlikely at the moment.  The sports pendulum has a way of making dramatic swings when you least expect it.  Here's some reasons why I think it could happen:

- Rotations will be shortened and minutes will be distributed to the best players in each particular match-up.  There's no time to complain about minutes or shots when the season is on the line, especially if Stevens finds a group that is able to win some early playoff games.   
- Playoff Horford is no joke.   
- There's plenty of time in between games to adjust throughout a series.  I think this favors Stevens.
- Assuming the Celtics advance past the first round, the pressure shifts heavily towards Milwaukee or Toronto.  The Celtics can assume somewhat of an underdog role against either team.
- The Celtics have been a terrible road team in the playoffs under Stevens.  Wouldn't it be fitting for them to adopt a road warrior identity when there is no other alternative?
- Tatum and Jaylen aren't going to forget what they did last season.  Both of these guys proved that they can handle the grind of a long playoff series.

Yes, I understand that this is an overly optimistic sentiment.  The good news is that they have the talent to make a run.  The attitude of a team can change dramatically if a few things come together at the right time.