Author Topic: Hayward dunking  (Read 5321 times)

Re: Hayward dunking
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Did anyone else wince or get nervous when you saw the video?

Yes I was.  I think I'll always be nervous about it.  I'm scarred for life.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'm hopeful he will be a contributor this season.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I w
Did anyone else wince or get nervous when you saw the video?

Yes I was.  I think I'll always be nervous about it.  I'm scarred for life.

I think I will as well. Not because of the injury. I've seen him play many times, going back to Butler days. The reason I'll be worried is because from watching his highlight videos (all the dunks and blocked shots) GH tends to land awkward A LOT. I think his landings had something to do with his injury. I know he got knocked off balance by Jae and LBJ and that led to his awkward landing but every time he lands a little off balance I'll be nervous for him.

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I call travelling!

When?

Little hop right when he makes his first move.

You mean before he had possession?

That’s not a travel.
Yeah, he was in the air when he caught it. That would never be called a travel. Or I hope it wouldn't

It looked to me like the kind of move NBA refs are peevish about.  Horford gets called for it a lot.  Hayward did it fluidly, but it was still the same move.  I mentioned it kind of jokingly,I think it’s awesome that he’s dunking regardless of how he gets there, but after the comments I went back and watched frame by frame.  When he catches the ball he has his left foot in the air, but his right foot is still touching the floor.  From there he brings both feet off the ground quickly, lands, then makes his move to the hoop.   

I’ll stand by my initial call.  It’s a travel!

And that’s probably the deepest analysis I’ve offered on this site in years.  Wish I’d saved that energy for something a tad more meaningful. 

Yup

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.
Yeah, he was in the air when he caught it. That would never be called a travel. Or I hope it wouldn't

It looked to me like the kind of move NBA refs are peevish about.  Horford gets called for it a lot.  Hayward did it fluidly, but it was still the same move.  I mentioned it kind of jokingly,I think it’s awesome that he’s dunking regardless of how he gets there, but after the comments I went back and watched frame by frame.  When he catches the ball he has his left foot in the air, but his right foot is still touching the floor.  From there he brings both feet off the ground quickly, lands, then makes his move to the hoop.   

And that’s probably the deepest analysis I’ve offered on this site in years.  Wish I’d saved that energy for something a tad more meaningful.

It’s still not a travel. Are you saying that his pivot foot is his right foot (which he is in the midst of a hop while catching the ball)? Just because the ball has touched his hands doesn’t mean he has gained possession yet. Then he pushed off with the left.

A superstar or undrafted rookie, neither are getting called for a travel on that exact play.

And if you still think that’s a travel, I suppose you think about 40 travels a game should be called.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

It’s still not a travel. Are you saying that his pivot foot is his right foot (which he is in the midst of a hop while catching the ball)? Just because the ball has touched his hands doesn’t mean he has gained possession yet. Then he pushed off with the left.

A superstar or undrafted rookie, neither are getting called for a travel on that exact play.

And if you still think that’s a travel, I suppose you think about 40 travels a game should be called.

Hello August.   ;D

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

Hello August.   ;D

Tumble weeds blow by.... ;D

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

Hello August.   ;D

Nothing like a discussion about traveling on video of a man practicing basketball to while away the hours.

Seriously, you guys didn't get that Redz initial post was a joke?

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

Hello August.   ;D

Nothing like a discussion about traveling on video of a man practicing basketball to while away the hours.

I did but was just commenting on the lack of any basketball news or excitement right now. I can hardly wait until camps begin!

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

Hello August.   ;D

Yeah sorry, I was busy this off-season conversing with the flowers, consulting with the rain...

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I call travelling!

When?

That’s not a travel.

Hello August.   ;D

Yeah sorry, I was busy this off-season conversing with the flowers, consulting with the rain...

Yep...We need some hoops for real!

And, yes, I was joking, but then I did go back and actually take some time out of my day to watch it frame by frame, and while I MAY submit that it would be unlikely to be called in game time action, I do think he has two feet leave the ground while in possession of the ball without the next move being a shot or a half step leading to a shot.

Perhaps a separate thread  ;D
Yup

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 10:17:54 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
Without taking a position one way or the other whether Hayward's initial move was a travel, it's good to see that he elevated quite well for the contested dunk absorbing contact below and at the rim. 

I know, I know it was just a 1-on-1 practice session but it will serve him well during 5-on-5 practices and then later during real games knowing that he can "still do it".   

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Without taking a position one way or the other whether Hayward's initial move was a travel, it's good to see that he elevated quite well for the contested dunk absorbing contact below and at the rim. 

I know, I know it was just a 1-on-1 practice session but it will serve him well during 5-on-5 practices and then later during real games knowing that he can "still do it".

sure...ride the fence on the all important practice travel debate
Yup

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
[Channelling my inner Christopher Walken]

I got a fever!!! And the only prescription... is more travel talk!!!

For your summer viewing enjoyment:

https://vimeo.com/126322279

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871