Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339581 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2730 on: May 17, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rachel Nichols spends 90% of her air time talking about the Lakers ( the other 10% about the Knicks) so it’s no wonder she had to get that out there. LOL.

« Reply #2731 on: May 17, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Rachel Nichols spends 90% of her air time talking about the Lakers ( the other 10% about the Knicks) so it’s no wonder she had to get that out there. LOL.

Yes.  They were much quicker to squash that rumor than they were the rumor that Zion might go back to Duke or play overseas.

« Reply #2732 on: May 17, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, you can see why the Pelicans are getting mad at ESPN and the Lakers

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

Many in the Pelicans organization believe this sloppy, incorrect reporting is coming from the same people who said Zion may not want to come to New Orleans.

That story/narrative was completely untrue and I’m told so is this Gayle “over my dead body” story.

That incorrect reporting mostly coming from Windhorst, Nichols, and others in ESPN as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2733 on: May 17, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

Many in the Pelicans organization believe this sloppy, incorrect reporting is coming from the same people who said Zion may not want to come to New Orleans.

That story/narrative was completely untrue and I’m told so is this Gayle “over my dead body” story.

That incorrect reporting mostly coming from Windhorst, Nichols, and others in ESPN as well.

Jackie Mac was reporting it on the hoop collective pod, and I will believe her most over anything the Pels owner says. Benson had every reason to deny the rumor, they lose leverage because of it.

« Reply #2734 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

Jackie Mac was reporting it on the hoop collective pod, and I will believe her most over anything the Pels owner says. Benson had every reason to deny the rumor, they lose leverage because of it.
But really, what leverage? Everyone knows LA can not make anything close to an offer that other teams can make.

They have the #4 pick in a 2 1/2 player draft to add to a package that not only was previously rejected, but has gotten worse. Ingram's and Ball's stocks have fallen due to injury and idiot father concerns. Kuzma did nothing to raise his stock. He is an inefficient to slightly less than average shooting scorer who does almost everything else at a well below average level.

And the pick's quality isn't as good as it could be given it was upgraded from the 11-12 area to #4. In a normal draft the talent drop off from 4 to 11 is fairly large. Because this year's draft is so bad, the quality drop off from 4 to 11 isn't that great.

Again, as it stands now, New Orleans really can't use any possible LA deal as leverage because, simply, LA's offer is one about as good as the offer the Pelicans previously rejected.

« Reply #2735 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
put me down for voting they start next year with AD and Zion.   its just tll good not to see it.   

and i haven't seen one offer that makes the pels get excited.  and that gm is legit.

« Reply #2736 on: May 17, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Somebody please tell me if this is crazy or not

Rozier is clearly going to sign an offer sheet with someone.

The Celtics could match it and then wait until December to include him in the trade for Davis. That would allow them to keep Smart since his contract wouldn't be needed for salary matching.

This idea works if New Orleans wants Rozier, which is one of the teams he's been rumored to fit on best, and New Orleans is willing to wait to make the trade.

I believe that Dec 15 is the date that free agents signed in the off-season are eligible to be traded.

The deal might be something like Tatum/Rozier/Yabu/MEM-pick for Davis. It's a pretty good deal for New Orleans if they're willing to wait a little longer. I don't see why they'd be in a hurry.

Unless its a sign and trade it is 90 days from signing.

Team could offer him 15 mill today...he sign it and in august be traded
Now i mught be wrong...but I believe this is legal.

Teams cannot give him an offer sheet until July

I mean can you sign and trade a restricted free agent?

Yes you can, but it has to be for more than 3 years, and the team bringing in the S&T loses Birds Rights.

Losing Bird rights is irrelevant, though, since after the 3 year contract they would have their Bird rights

A sign and trade would make things difficult, though, since the salary counts differently for the team trading them vs. the team receiving them. I also have a hard time seeing Rozier want to play in New Orleans unless they trade Jrue
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2737 on: May 17, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Somebody please tell me if this is crazy or not

Rozier is clearly going to sign an offer sheet with someone.

The Celtics could match it and then wait until December to include him in the trade for Davis. That would allow them to keep Smart since his contract wouldn't be needed for salary matching.

This idea works if New Orleans wants Rozier, which is one of the teams he's been rumored to fit on best, and New Orleans is willing to wait to make the trade.

I believe that Dec 15 is the date that free agents signed in the off-season are eligible to be traded.

The deal might be something like Tatum/Rozier/Yabu/MEM-pick for Davis. It's a pretty good deal for New Orleans if they're willing to wait a little longer. I don't see why they'd be in a hurry.

Unless its a sign and trade it is 90 days from signing.

Team could offer him 15 mill today...he sign it and in august be traded
Now i mught be wrong...but I believe this is legal.

Teams cannot give him an offer sheet until July

I mean can you sign and trade a restricted free agent?

Yes you can, but it has to be for more than 3 years, and the team bringing in the S&T loses Birds Rights.

Losing Bird rights is irrelevant, though, since after the 3 year contract they would have their Bird rights

A sign and trade would make things difficult, though, since the salary counts differently for the team trading them vs. the team receiving them. I also have a hard time seeing Rozier want to play in New Orleans unless they trade Jrue

It’s the assumption Jrue is leaving or play SG. Either way he could even be traded to Suns or bulls for asssets!!

Rozier
Holiday
Zion
Tatum
Robert Williams 3
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:05:32 PM by RazzelnoDazzel »

« Reply #2738 on: May 19, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

But really, what leverage? Everyone knows LA can not make anything close to an offer that other teams can make.

They have the #4 pick in a 2 1/2 player draft to add to a package that not only was previously rejected, but has gotten worse. Ingram's and Ball's stocks have fallen due to injury and idiot father concerns. Kuzma did nothing to raise his stock. He is an inefficient to slightly less than average shooting scorer who does almost everything else at a well below average level.

And the pick's quality isn't as good as it could be given it was upgraded from the 11-12 area to #4. In a normal draft the talent drop off from 4 to 11 is fairly large. Because this year's draft is so bad, the quality drop off from 4 to 11 isn't that great.

Again, as it stands now, New Orleans really can't use any possible LA deal as leverage because, simply, LA's offer is one about as good as the offer the Pelicans previously rejected.

I wouldn't forget that New Orleans literally fired their GM after he rejected those deals and didn't trade Davis.

Any way you cut it, it's bad for Boston since there's no way the Celtics get AD without trading both Tatum and Brown now that the Lakers have the 4th overall pick.  Kuzma, + Ingram, +4th overall is a lot of value.

Also, why in God's green earth is Danny going out of his way to inexplicably tell anyone who will listen that Kyrie resigning with Boston is contingent on acquiring Davis?  That has got to be the worst negotiating tactic I have ever seen.     

« Reply #2739 on: May 19, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

I wouldn't forget that New Orleans literally fired their GM after he rejected those deals and didn't trade Davis.

Any way you cut it, it's bad for Boston since there's no way the Celtics get AD without trading both Tatum and Brown now that the Lakers have the 4th overall pick.  Kuzma, + Ingram, +4th overall is a lot of value.

Also, why in God's green earth is Danny going out of his way to inexplicably tell anyone who will listen that Kyrie resigning with Boston is contingent on acquiring Davis?  That has got to be the worst negotiating tactic I have ever seen.     
Stop misinforming people. Dell Demps was going to be fired anyways. It had nothing to do with AD. Plus there were many reports say that the whole organization up to ownership hated the idea of trading with the Lakers. Demps was most likely just following orders.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2740 on: May 19, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kuzma, + Ingram, +4th overall is a lot of value.

Is it really?

Kuzma is a one-dimensional role player who doesn't play much defense nor rebound well for his position at all.

Ingram is the headliner here, but has possible health questions and could be viewed as a risk.

The #4 pick in a 2 player draft isn't really that impressive.  In almost any other year this pick would probably hold much more value.

« Reply #2741 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

Stop misinforming people. Dell Demps was going to be fired anyways. It had nothing to do with AD. Plus there were many reports say that the whole organization up to ownership hated the idea of trading with the Lakers. Demps was most likely just following orders.

I mean...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/15/pelicans-fired-gm-dell-demps-amid-chaotic-anthony-davis-saga-he-deserved-go/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fed38a2122bc

« Reply #2742 on: May 19, 2019, 10:00:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Demps was doomed as soon as Davis and Rich Paul went public with their demand. Benson didn't fire Demps because he wouldn't take the Lakers deal, as you are insinuating. Benson was angry that outside forces tried to force the Pelicans hands and wanted a better GM than Demps to handle it as Demps was clearly being influenced by outside forces(the Lakers and Rich Paul). That is why he was fired. Not for not taking the Lakers "great" package.

« Reply #2743 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

TV is mainly big market in all the major sports. That's where the advertisng money is. And the biggest markets are NY and LA. The networks and a lot of the sports internet sites are based in NY. Many of those commentators are New Yorkers. Half those guys on MLB Network are Yankee fans.

« Reply #2744 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Fletcher Mackel
Verified account
@FletcherWDSU

I mean...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/15/pelicans-fired-gm-dell-demps-amid-chaotic-anthony-davis-saga-he-deserved-go/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fed38a2122bc

a) This was an opinion piece written from the outside looking in.
b) It was written back in February.  We now know that NO ownership has no interest in dealing with the Lakers. 
c) He writes that they could have avoided the situation by just finding another deal.  Except that is no valid reasoning if ownership wanted to hold out for better offers this summer.
d) The author's POV seems to bolster the part of the post you put in bold.  Demps had a series of missteps leading up to the Davis situation, which is why he would have been fired either way.