Author Topic: Ball for Brown?  (Read 9238 times)

Re: Ball for Brown?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 12:45:18 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I just want to say no, no, no. Also no and no, and no way. Come to think of it - no, no Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing way, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. no, no, and no.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 02:13:18 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
yall want to deal with Lavar?

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This a serious thread or?...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This a serious thread or?...

Yeah, this is not a good idea. I do value Jaylen and would never deal him for an inferior player who can't shoot a lick.

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Talent level is comparable but it would be a far worse fit for the roster so I wouldn't do it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just want to say no, no, no. Also no and no, and no way. Come to think of it - no, no ****ing way, **** no, no, and no.

How do you really feel?

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I'm going to basically state reasons why this is a terrible idea.

1) Lonzo is has played in 52/47 games the past two years. That is borderline awful.... You cannot depend on him to stay in games, nor can he even close out games, because he's shooting 43.7% from the free throw line! Even Rondo, someone we notoriously hated on constantly for his lack of FT %, was shooting at least 10-20% better in all of his seasons with the Celtics. His worst year was 39.7% and I believe he was playing through a recent surgery of his hand.

2) The drama that comes along with LaVar Ball is not worth it. Also someone mentioned if LaMelo was apart of the package deal, you would do it. Why? Lonzo & LaMelo have the worst shooting forms I've ever seen, and LaVar is certainly a huge reason to blame for that. The way they shoot wasn't conductive to NBA success, and it doesn't bode well for their bodies. They would need to re-vamp and basically restructure their entire shooting forms.

3) Lonzo cannot shoot, cannot score from the FT line, and his passing while amazing is only served best on the fast break. His passing vision is great, but what's the point if people are just going to give you space, and force you to shoot? Did I also mention 31.5% from the 3 while taking about 5 3PA per game? That's just awful.

Talent level is comparable but it would be a far worse fit for the roster so I wouldn't do it.

And how did you come to this conclusion...?

In what universe is Ball even anywhere as talented as Brown? Brown may not have the best handles, or BBIQ, but he's certainly played more games, be a consistent contributor to a contender, can space the floor, and has better vertical/athleticism.

Honestly, besides passing, and handling, what does Ball even do better than Brown?

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

1) Lonzo is has played in 52/47 games the past two years. That is borderline awful.... You cannot depend on him to stay in games, nor can he even close out games, because he's shooting 43.7% from the free throw line! Even Rondo, someone we notoriously hated on constantly for his lack of FT %, was shooting at least 10-20% better in all of his seasons with the Celtics. His worst year was 39.7% and I believe he was playing through a recent surgery of his hand.

2) The drama that comes along with LaVar Ball is not worth it. Also someone mentioned if LaMelo was apart of the package deal, you would do it. Why? Lonzo & LaMelo have the worst shooting forms I've ever seen, and LaVar is certainly a huge reason to blame for that. The way they shoot wasn't conductive to NBA success, and it doesn't bode well for their bodies. They would need to re-vamp and basically restructure their entire shooting forms.

3) Lonzo cannot shoot, cannot score from the FT line, and his passing while amazing is only served best on the fast break. His passing vision is great, but what's the point if people are just going to give you space, and force you to shoot? Did I also mention 31.5% from the 3 while taking about 5 3PA per game? That's just awful.

In what universe is Ball even anywhere as talented as Brown? Brown may not have the best handles, or BBIQ, but he's certainly played more games, be a consistent contributor to a contender, can space the floor, and has better vertical/athleticism.

Honestly, besides passing, and handling, what does Ball even do better than Brown?
You do know that I said that they'd need to add LaMelo and multiple picks while we only give up Brown right? And LaMelo is a pretty interesting prospect, he's a 6'7 PG who can take and make contested shots even though his form is Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

You do know that I said that they'd need to add LaMelo and multiple picks while we only give up Brown right? And LaMelo is a pretty interesting prospect, he's a 6'7 PG who can take and make contested shots even though his form is ****.

Still wouldn't do it... Most players with terrible shooting forms rarely translate to the NBA... Not worth the father's headache, nor the chemistry that might be up and down.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Langford + pick , and  other "none top " Five celtics players for Lavars son Lonzo

I have more faith in Ball .  I think he would work nice with what CBS is trying to do. 

Ball time was wasted on Lakers , complete awful place to learn good basketball team play and bad habits and manners

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yall want to deal with Lavar?

we can learn to, " Speak it into existence "

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

The Lakers were a better team with Ball then without Ball playing in a very large part because he is an excellent defender, rebounder, and passer.  He is never going to be a great scorer or shooter, but he did show improvement and got up to 33% on 5 3's a game (that is enough to keep opposing teams honest, though like Smart did for awhile he shoots too much).  Clearly needs to improve his FT shooting, work more on his shooting overall, and cut down his turnovers, but he absolutely impacts the game in a lot more ways than Brown does. 

Brown will never be a primary ball handler.  He is a terrible passer (even for his position).  He is a subpar rebounder.  He is a good, but not great shooter and scorer.  Brown is far more consistent, healthier, and right now a much better shooter/scorer, which is why I think the value comparison is close, but I suspect quite a few teams would rather have Ball than Brown (at least on the court, the off court stuff is another issue).  I just don't see the reason to intentionally get smaller when the team already has Walker and Smart.  The fit just isn't there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The Lakers were a better team with Ball then without Ball playing in a very large part because he is an excellent defender, rebounder, and passer.  He is never going to be a great scorer or shooter, but he did show improvement and got up to 33% on 5 3's a game (that is enough to keep opposing teams honest, though like Smart did for awhile he shoots too much).  Clearly needs to improve his FT shooting, work more on his shooting overall, and cut down his turnovers, but he absolutely impacts the game in a lot more ways than Brown does. 

Brown will never be a primary ball handler.  He is a terrible passer (even for his position).  He is a subpar rebounder.  He is a good, but not great shooter and scorer.  Brown is far more consistent, healthier, and right now a much better shooter/scorer, which is why I think the value comparison is close, but I suspect quite a few teams would rather have Ball than Brown (at least on the court, the off court stuff is another issue).  I just don't see the reason to intentionally get smaller when the team already has Walker and Smart.  The fit just isn't there.

Brown is not a terrible passer. His role on the team so far limits his iso opportunities, and so he isn't in a position to do a lot of driving and dishing, but he's a considerably better passer than Tatum is. He's average now and improving. I'd expect him to be above average in his prime.

I think he could be any kind of rebounder the team wants him to be. As a defender, the thing he does better than almost anyone in the league is cover large amounts of perimeter space and pressure 3 point shots without fouling very often. He does this without getting beat off the dribble. Playing that outward leaning defense does limit his rebounding.

I doubt you could find 5 GM's in the league that would rather have Ball.

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2019, 02:45:14 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Lonzo's stock is lower than it should be.  He's had injuries, but also his first two seasons in the league have been on teams where he's been misused and had poorly fitting surrounding pieces.  He will need good pieces around him to thrive, but I think he will thrive when that happens.

But where we just locked down a max contract point guard for the next 4 years, the fit just isn't here for him.  So I say no.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2019, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
First thought is not for Ball but it does make some sense, is he really that good on D?

My thought as well - Since when did Lonzo Ball become a better (and tougher) defender than Jaylen Brown ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce