Author Topic: centers  (Read 3584 times)

Re: centers
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 04:50:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Wilt was such a freak athlete. He could have easily medaled in three different track and field events in the Olympics if he wanted to. I don't think we will ever see a 7'1" player with Wilt's athleticism ever again.
Agreed.
Volleyball, triple or high jump, shot put...Olympian
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 04:51:01 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
How Chamberlain isn't ranked the best basketball player ever from his crazy rebounding stats even led the league in assists,averaged 50 points a game one season and scored 100.His strength is legendary and he was fast and agile when he was young.His era was basketball at its most physical and the refs  allowed opponents to batter Wilt.
Because i was so young and Celtics centric i edited out Chamberlain. So to watch a long professionally put together documentary on Wilt and Russell was an awesome experience.

Russell should be considered the best to ever play.  Wilt's got next.  No shame for Wilt to be the second best.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 06:06:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
How Chamberlain isn't ranked the best basketball player ever from his crazy rebounding stats even led the league in assists,averaged 50 points a game one season and scored 100.His strength is legendary and he was fast and agile when he was young.His era was basketball at its most physical and the refs  allowed opponents to batter Wilt.
Because i was so young and Celtics centric i edited out Chamberlain. So to watch a long professionally put together documentary on Wilt and Russell was an awesome experience.

Russell should be considered the best to ever play.  Wilt's got next.  No shame for Wilt to be the second best.
I love "the giants of the game", but cell phones are better now than in the 60'ies. ;)

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 06:08:45 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I take Wilt. The man was such an incredible athlete/player that people are still coming up with ways to invalidate the amazing feats he achieved because they seem too implausible to believe.

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:16:12 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
As a side note, it’s sad that Chamberlain never had any children to carry his legacy. Not only was he an incredible athlete, he was a unique personality.

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I love "the giants of the game", but cell phones are better now than in the 60'ies. ;)

And other products were better in the past than they are today.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

And other products were better in the past than they are today.
Handwriting probably was, but now anyone can write legibly and we don't need those fancy ink letters often.

Joking aside, it is impossible for me to do the cross-era comparisons.
I just do it like this. I compare modern era players without much hesitation ('77 or Magic/Bird till today), but I just respectfully salute the prior greats ('46-'76) and I don't compare them with modern players. For example, George Mikan, compare him with contemporary players - he was a great player, alpha on 4 title teams, but I feel like - insert average starter - Myles Turner would destroy him.
And that may sound disrespectful to them and I don't want that.

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My two bits:

Best individual basketball player ever:  Wilt
Best offensive basketball player ever:  Wilt
Best defensive basketball player ever: Bill
Best team basketball player ever:  Bill

I always rate those two guys #1 & #2 on my all-time best basketball player list.  I give the nod to Bill because I give more weight to his affect on the floor to his team, despite the more modest individual numbers.

I've been following NBA basketball for decades and I've yet to see anyone to change my opinion that those are still the two greatest basketball players ever.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I take Wilt. The man was such an incredible athlete/player that people are still coming up with ways to invalidate the amazing feats he achieved because they seem too implausible to believe.

The dunks from the FT line were ridiculous.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I would contend that if you dropped Bill Russell into the NBA today, he would be easily the best athlete among bigs in the league.

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If I had to pick a center for my all time team, it would be Abdul-Jabbar for sure.  He was an absolute weapon.  I would then start Bill Russell as my power forward along with Bird, Jordan, and Magic.  Good old fashioned tall ball, size at every position.

Now if you were to make a team of Robertson, Kobe, James, Malone (Karl), and Wilt, and try to make the case that is was just as good if not better, it would be a hard argument to settle.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:58:22 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If I had to pick a center for my all time team, it would be Abdul-Jabbar for sure.  He was an absolute weapon.  I would then start Bill Russell as my power forward along with Bird, Jordan, and Magic.  Good old fashioned tall ball, size at every position.

Now if you were to make a team of Robertson, Kobe, James, Malone, and Wilt, and try to make the case that is was just as good if not better, it would be a hard argument to settle.
Can't argue with the starting five, though that's pretty sneaky putting Russell at PF.  ;)

Your bench is great and I agree they could beat the starters on any given night.  QUESTION: For Malone, did you mean Moses or Karl?  I would go Karl but not by a lot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:25:18 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Yes, Karl Malone was my PF on the second unit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:21:22 PM by Vermont Green »