Author Topic: Robert Williams with the #8 pick  (Read 3852 times)

Re: Robert Williams with the #8 pick
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lakers fan are all goo goo over Her Vagner .

say n things like he is prototype NBA big man ....? what ?  :P

We ll see , their other hero from last year Zabic or what ever his name is mud now and they want him gone.   LOL

Interested to see who is better # 26 or # 27
Yeah, Wagner is definitely not the prototypical big man. Slow, not a very good rebounder, not a good passer, and struggles to defend physical big men without fouling. His only prototypical skill, I guess, is that he can shoot the 3 ball. Reminds me of Ryan Anderson, but way less of a scoring arsenal than Anderson developed

Actually, Wagner is a pretty solid rebounder, and had a defensive rebounding percentage this season that was comparable to Williams.  His offensive rebounding is less, but a) he spends a lot more time on the perimeter on offense, and b) Michigan eschews going for offensive rebounds and instead plays to stop transition.  Rebounding is not a weakness.  Man-to-man defense absolutely is, and why I don’t think he makes it in the NBA.  (Also, he’s a better passer than you give him credit for.  Still developing the skill, but I expect he’ll grade out as at least average if his defense doesn’t keep him off the floor too much to actually see the passing.)

He’s also not “slow” — he just reads the defense poorly, gets it of position, and has a bad first step.  It’s not a physical thing but a mental thing.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I probably would have been OK with him at No 8 just because I believe we have so many wings the last thing we needed was another guy unable to get PT.

I'm more of a "draft for need" guy though.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
Every mock draft I saw for months had Williams going at the end of the lottery. Almost 90% of the mocks slotted him with the Clippers at #13. So it wouldn't be a stretch to pick him at #8 since he was grouped with a bunch of players in that range. The scouting report was the same. As talented as any big man in the draft but he lacks consistency and there are questions about his work effort. Then stuff about his knee was circulating around and he dropped to #27.

I am never a big fan of instant NBA draft grades or screaming "reach" for any player. If the Lakers had drafted Donovan Mitchell #2 last year everyone would have screamed reach of the century since he was slated to go #12-16 which he did. Knox was a player who many mocks had in the teens until he shot up the last couple weeks. Did he just become a better player in two weeks? Were the evaluations correct about him before or now? I guess we will find out.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I would be pretty irritated if we took him at #8.  On talent alone it’s borderline justifiable, but there are too many question marks and too many good players remained on the board.

Who else would you have taken at #8? Porter? Wagner? One of the umpteen guards and wings selected between #8-#27? If you're gonna pick a big man at #8, Williams would have been the best big available. The OP is making a great point.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Reports are that Ainge wanted to move up for Porter but the price was too high, and his next choice was Williams

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Reports are that Ainge wanted to move up for Porter but the price was too high, and his next choice was Williams
yup he wanted to trade up for either of these guys

I'm guessing he tried to see the price of mpj around 14, then he started seeing the price of the 17th pick so he get Williams. I'm betting the price was high, all the other teams were in love with their guard picks and scared that Ainge would take them. Lol

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Blantant Homerism. Get outta here.

I stand by my comment.  No way he belongs at 8.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Without the Kyrie trade, this team would need a PG desperately. I think there is a good chance Ainge would have gone for Collin Sexton.

Good point, but I think Knox is a stud.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Blantant Homerism. Get outta here.

I stand by my comment.  No way he belongs at 8.

Okay, Stand there if you must, However I may be inclined to remind you shortly

All. Saying is this. Athletically, Size wise, Tools wise, was a top 5 pick last year according to some.

Now he falls to the absolute perfect team. If he takes to coaching it's a home run. We shall see.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:36:13 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Yeah, no way we take Wiliams at 8, blatant homerism, we got him after he was predicted to fall in the 10-15 range.   No one had him, in their top eight.

That being said, I am really excited we got him should be something to watch in Summer League.  Which up to drafting him, I was not real happy about the prospects of watching the low quality basketball that amounts to guards just chucking shots up and everyone trying to shoot themselves on the team.

This guy could be electrifying like Brown is when he enters the game with the potential of a rim rattling dunk at anytime.
You're a little too eager to call out homerism here. The guy is projected 10-15 and it's crazy to like him at #8? There was very little separation in this draft between 8-15:

Sexton, Knox, Bridges, Alexander, Bridges, Robinson, Porter Jr., Brown

Those are all clearly 2nd and 3rd tier prospects, with the exception of Porter Jr who is obviously a special case.

Would he have been a slight surprise that high? Sure. But it wouldn't even be a top story that he went a few spots higher to a team that liked him.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Sounds like this Robert Williams kid might actually be a steal, huh?  Hopefully he can develop into our Capela.  That would be interesting.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Sounds like this Robert Williams kid might actually be a steal, huh?  Hopefully he can develop into our Capela.  That would be interesting.

Absolute steal. I'm not worried about motor issues. If he doesn't play with consistent effort, he won't make it long with the C's. The 27th pick isn't a big investment.

Capela is a borderline all star, so that's a decent upside. I think an athletic Amir Johnson or Biyombo might be his floor. Either way, it's fun to watch an athletic big on defense. I'm high on the kid, and think that he will be our best shot-blocking big since KG.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I just went through the picks from 8-27. The following are players that I would rather have than Williams: Michael Porter and maybe Divincenzo/Sexton. So Williams would be around 10 on my draft board. Amazing value by Danny Ainge.

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
This guy could be electrifying like Brown is when he enters the game with the potential of a rim rattling dunk at anytime.

His offensive game seems about on par with Kedrick rather than Jaylen but if he delivers with boards and blocks I’m good with that.