Author Topic: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil  (Read 14428 times)

Re: we were granted DPE 8.4 mil
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We'll probably wait until teams start to waive decent players and then outbid every contender by using that 8.4 M DPE on that player. We should get a decent guy I guess, waivers usually have some players that are waived because teams want to tank.

Waived players with more than one year on their waived contracts are eligible under the DPE if signed to a one year contract?

If they clear waivers, yes, because then they’re free agents.  We would only be eligible to put a waiver claim on players who’s contracts are expiring.

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
So who are some conceivable multi-year players who'd clear waivers? Anything in that pool better than Okafor?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So who are some conceivable multi-year players who'd clear waivers? Anything in that pool better than Okafor?

Multi-year players typically don’t hit waivers unless they’re on really cheap deals.  It’s very surprising when guys get cut with more than a year left and make substantially more than the minimum.

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Multi-year players typically don’t hit waivers unless they’re on really cheap deals.  It’s very surprising when guys get cut with more than a year left and make substantially more than the minimum.

So the pool of available players really is just players on their last year. The list we've all seen where the best thing going is something like Okafor or Randle, that's the list. It's not improving later in the year.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

So the pool of available players really is just players on their last year. The list we've all seen where the best thing going is something like Okafor or Randle, that's the list. It's not improving later in the year.

Pretty much.  Some lists don’t include guys on their last year making larger salaries than $8.4 million — some of those could be buyouts.  A few guys with player options may waive them for a buyout as well.  But largely the crop of expirings is weak for the buyout market, which makes sense in that so few teams will have cap room next summer.  A lot of players timed their free agency for the 2016 cap spike, and signed 3-4 year deals, which makes for a dearth of expirings this year.

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Some lists don’t include guys on their last year making larger salaries than $8.4 million — some of those could be buyouts.

Ahh. Who are those guys?

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Some lists don’t include guys on their last year making larger salaries than $8.4 million — some of those could be buyouts.

Ahh. Who are those guys?

JJ Redick, Amir Johnson, KCP, Brook Lopez.  Some others.  I don’t know that any of those guys will get bought out, but they could.

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Even with another year at big mon y, Ty Chandler could be a buyout candidate in PHX.

They're obviously going in another direction, and if there were a good chance he could get 8.4 instead of the minimum, maybe he gives more than he would otherwise in buyout negotiations.

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Magic declined Hezonja's option, making him another possibility.

I'd rather give those minutes to other guys, but he's another name to look at.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21241891/orlando-magic-decline-mario-hezonja-fourth-year-option

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I think we need two things. A good three point shooter for the 2/3 spot and another big in case of more injuries.

I'd like to get both, but it depends on how we'll use Morris (starting SF/PF, back-up SF/PF?) what our biggest priority should be. Right now I just want more shooting and so I would like Hezonja to get here. I really see some potential in him, but I heard he has attitude problems. Would he be worthy of our 1st round pick?

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think we need two things. A good three point shooter for the 2/3 spot and another big in case of more injuries.

I'd like to get both, but it depends on how we'll use Morris (starting SF/PF, back-up SF/PF?) what our biggest priority should be. Right now I just want more shooting and so I would like Hezonja to get here. I really see some potential in him, but I heard he has attitude problems. Would he be worthy of our 1st round pick?

A first round pick? The Magic just tried to give him away and found no takers, and he's shown little to no ability to be an NBA-quality wing.

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
How about picking up Luol Deng if the Lakers buy him out? Which they are talking about doing. He seems like a BS guy.

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
How about picking up Luol Deng if the Lakers buy him out? Which they are talking about doing. He seems like a BS guy.

I don't know, he has some African in him, whatever that means.

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

What?

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

What?

Repeating an ethnic slur once used by a former GM or owner. It's a real jack ass move by that poster.