Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 92001 times)

Re: Romeo wherefore art thou
« Reply #255 on: September 12, 2019, 03:17:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I remember hearing Kevin O'Connor talking about Langford and he essentially said that Ainge drafted him with the knowledge that he is a long term prospect who at the moment isn't ready for NBA minutes, so my guess is that Romeo will spend most of his time this season in Maine.

Can you name any Celtic "draft projects" since after the 60's dynasty years who turned into important players by their 3d or 4th year for us ? Meaning guys we drafted and who stayed with the team (Boston or Maine) and eventually became a starter or 6th or 7th man after some development.

We didn't draft Kuberski, did we ? Glen McDonald came in and got us over the hump in the third overtime, Game 5, 1976, but he was always marginal as I remember. Gerald Henderson, Perk maybe ....... to qualify, they have to have mostly sat their initial seasons.
I think Brown counts, Ainge drafted him expecting that he was a high risk high reward guy, then he developed a decent three point shot in his rookie season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2019, 08:09:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I remember hearing Kevin O'Connor talking about Langford and he essentially said that Ainge drafted him with the knowledge that he is a long term prospect who at the moment isn't ready for NBA minutes, so my guess is that Romeo will spend most of his time this season in Maine.

Can you name any Celtic "draft projects" since after the 60's dynasty years who turned into important players by their 3d or 4th year for us ? Meaning guys we drafted and who stayed with the team (Boston or Maine) and eventually became a starter or 6th or 7th man after some development.

We didn't draft Kuberski, did we ? Glen McDonald came in and got us over the hump in the third overtime, Game 5, 1976, but he was always marginal as I remember. Gerald Henderson, Perk maybe ....... to qualify, they have to have mostly sat their initial seasons.

Avery Bradley
Yup

« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2019, 08:56:01 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
taller avery bradley with better handling

« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

rondo? tony allen? olynyk?

people above have mentioned other celtics players as well. maybe you could have done a quick search of the celtics draft history prior to posting.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Eric Williams

« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Eric Williams
Eric Williams played 64 games at 23.0 minutes per game his rookie year.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willier01.html

« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

rondo? tony allen? olynyk?

people above have mentioned other celtics players as well. maybe you could have done a quick search of the celtics draft history prior to posting.

Terry Rozier

« Reply #262 on: September 12, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

PO PIMPIN

AND

SCAL!!!!

*sippin*

« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Eric Williams
Eric Williams played 64 games at 23.0 minutes per game his rookie year.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willier01.html

Don't know if I can name any. But how long have the Cs been drafting 19 year olds?

Bird was 23 in his first NBA year.

Kevin McHale was 23 in his first year as well - and for the first two years posted good but unspectacular scoring totals - 10 ppg and 13.6 - earning 20 mpg and then 28 mpg.

Robert Parish (drafted by GSW, but gotta put in all 3), also 23 in his first year, didn't earn 30 minutes/game until his third season - age 25.

« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #265 on: September 16, 2019, 06:27:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
A couple of times because of his low dribble he reminded me a bit of Turner-Imagine if Turner came to Celtics out of college instead of Philly  Romeo is surrounded with young hard working players that are defensive minded as is Brad.
I liked this pick especially since we grabbed Carsen and Grant Williams.

« Reply #266 on: September 16, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A couple of times because of his low dribble he reminded me a bit of Turner-Imagine if Turner came to Celtics out of college instead of Philly Romeo is surrounded with young hard working players that are defensive minded as is Brad.
he'd likely have been run out of town pretty quickly since he was the #2 pick and never achieved the talent level expected of a #2 pick.  If you doubt that, take a look at how Smart and Brown are being treated as a #6 and #3 pick respectively.  A number of people here have perpetually complained about them based on what they perceive the talent levels should be for players picked in those slots.  Even Tatum's caught grief for an underwhelming season last year.

if you prefer a not-so-recent example, you can look back at Chauncey Billups time on the team.  don't blink or you'll miss it --> #3 pick shipped out mid-season due to underwhelming play for someone taken in that slot. 

« Reply #267 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:23 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
A couple of times because of his low dribble he reminded me a bit of Turner-Imagine if Turner came to Celtics out of college instead of Philly Romeo is surrounded with young hard working players that are defensive minded as is Brad.
he'd likely have been run out of town pretty quickly since he was the #2 pick and never achieved the talent level expected of a #2 pick.  If you doubt that, take a look at how Smart and Brown are being treated as a #6 and #3 pick respectively.  A number of people here have perpetually complained about them based on what they perceive the talent levels should be for players picked in those slots.  Even Tatum's caught grief for an underwhelming season last year.

if you prefer a not-so-recent example, you can look back at Chauncey Billups time on the team.  don't blink or you'll miss it --> #3 pick shipped out mid-season due to underwhelming play for someone taken in that slot.
I saw Romeo play a few times in High School. He is the most gifted player I have ever seen. If he works hard he can be an All Star. He has natural Basket ball skills and is an athlete. He will surprise us by the end of the year. I would not be surprised if he gets 40 in a G league game.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #268 on: September 18, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I saw Romeo play a few times in High School. He is the most gifted player I have ever seen. If he works hard he can be an All Star. He has natural Basket ball skills and is an athlete. He will surprise us by the end of the year. I would not be surprised if he gets 40 in a G league game.
I'd love nothing more than for you to be right about his talent.  we can use all the talent we can get, even if he's playing a position of redundancy

« Reply #269 on: September 18, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How about a guy that mostly sat his first year and became a captain....Reggie Lewis.