Author Topic: Educate me: Smart/KD and Charge/Block  (Read 4791 times)

Re: Educate me: Smart/KD and Charge/Block
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1007
It's a very bad overturned call. I don't like these coach's challenges-- it strictly ruins the flow of the game. They should remove it and just make sure the referees are doing their job (even though it's unreliable at this point).

I like to think the fix was in. You can't mess that up.

Or they probably want to make-up for that call when Kyrie stuck his hand out to Marcus beyond the 3-point line and he flopped and sold it lol. There was that too, but that was hilarious.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3008
  • On To Banner 18!
It's a good thing I love my TV so much.

I almost threw something at it when I saw they overturned that call  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The interesting thing about the call is that officials GOT THE CALL RIGHT on the court. So it is difficult to ascribe any nefarious intent to the on court officials. If they were corrupt they would have just called it a block period. Stevens did not even have a challenge at that point. There are a couple of possibilities to explain why the call was overturned.

1. The officials got a call from the NBA.

2. The officials had second thoughts about how the game could get away from them if Boston was handed the ball at that point.

3. The officials wanted stupid net’s coach to keep his last timeout because he could need it.

4. They just made a honest mistake either with the initial call or the overturn.

By the way, what happened with the networks using a retired ref as in-game consultant. Who got rid of that? The nba or the networks?

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1007
The interesting thing about the call is that officials GOT THE CALL RIGHT on the court. So it is difficult to ascribe any nefarious intent to the on court officials. If they were corrupt they would have just called it a block period. Stevens did not even have a challenge at that point. There are a couple of possibilities to explain why the call was overturned.

1. The officials got a call from the NBA.

2. The officials had second thoughts about how the game could get away from them if Boston was handed the ball at that point.

3. The officials wanted stupid net’s coach to keep his last timeout because he could need it.

4. They just made a honest mistake either with the initial call or the overturn.

By the way, what happened with the networks using a retired ref as in-game consultant. Who got rid of that? The nba or the networks?

Probably the NBA. Don't want to pay them for him to sit there and do nothing while there isn't anything going on lol.

Or covid-related reasons. Idk.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Late in game 3, Smart stepped in front of KD and got run over. Charge was called, Nash challenged. After the timeout, the call was overturned and it was called a blocking foul.

I’ve watched that replay like 50 times now. I still don’t understand how it was overturned. Smart beat him to the spot and KD’s shoulder hit him square on the chest. As far as I know, u don’t need to be set or anything. This was also nowhere near the restricted area. What rule or explanation am I missing? Not asking to troll. I’m legit stumped.

It was overturned because the referees rule, they decide. So that is the how.

What rule or explanation are you missing? The WWF Rule AKA The phone call rule. The refs got a call from their bosses.
i dont think the bolded makes much sense. the refs ruled it an offensive foul. the nba office overruled the refs decision. hence, the refs did NOT decide.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
I tuned into the game with just 5 minutes left and saw:

Smart strip Durant cleanly under the basket. Stevens challenges. Challenge denied. Van Gundy and Jackson are mystified as to how the call wasn't overturned.

Durant go to the line on a ticky-tacky touch foul.

Tatum then gets whacked on the other end no call. Van Gundy and Jackson then go on about how Tatum has to act/sell/embellish on his drives to get more fouls because he was clearly fouled

Tatum get a foul called against him when he didn't even touch the Nets' Brown.

Smart get run over by Durant on a clear offensive foul that got called. Nash challenges and the call is overturned. Van Gundy and Jackson call out the refs that the overturn was absolutely horrible and the wrong call to make.

This all happened with less than six minutes in the game and the Nets losing, but happened before the final two minutes in the game because the league reviews the last two minutes of the game and not any other. So the refs tried to give Brooklyn every opportunity to get back in the game and win, but made sure they didn't do it in the last 2 minutes because it saves the league from publicly disclosing so many bad calls and make it look like the game was a fairly officiated game.

At least in the small part of the game I watched, it was very much not a fairly officiated game.

The whole game was like that but Tatum came up huge and Kyrie choke as he does in playoff situations.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Late in game 3, Smart stepped in front of KD and got run over. Charge was called, Nash challenged. After the timeout, the call was overturned and it was called a blocking foul.

I’ve watched that replay like 50 times now. I still don’t understand how it was overturned. Smart beat him to the spot and KD’s shoulder hit him square on the chest. As far as I know, u don’t need to be set or anything. This was also nowhere near the restricted area. What rule or explanation am I missing? Not asking to troll. I’m legit stumped.

It was overturned because the referees rule, they decide. So that is the how.

What rule or explanation are you missing? The WWF Rule AKA The phone call rule. The refs got a call from their bosses.
i dont think the bolded makes much sense. the refs ruled it an offensive foul. the nba office overruled the refs decision. hence, the refs did NOT decide.

It doesn’t, that is my point. They do whatever they want, there is no accountability.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
The league reviews all calls, they just don't release the review except for the last 2 minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
There were a lot of missed calls in this game.  Vangundy pointed out a lot.  The nets push off A LOT.  Harris, Harden and KD got away with a few.  Tatum could have taken 6 to 8 more FT on non calls.  It was just a bad crew.  The issue is the Nets have 3 superstars who will get precedent over anyone the cs have.  It's a star league and bull Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  I will root for anyone except LA and the NETS and my biggest fear is both will be in the finals.  Gotta root for Giannis this year.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 06:13:59 PM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
It’s a nonsense call. The official said to Smart “you weren’t fully set”… problem is, it wasn’t a charge! It was an offensive foul away from the ball, you don’t need to be set!!

No explanation besides match fixing
you beat me to it. this should have been the way the refs called it and they did. but it was overturned by the NBA folks who review such things. they need to be shown how they were wrong and fix it going forward.

having said that, has any one seen the nba reviews of the last two minutes of the game? i am curious what that says. as of when i am writing this post, last night's games were not up.

https://official.nba.com/2020-21-nba-officiating-last-two-minute-reports/

I don’t think there’s a two minute report for the game because the score was never within 3 points in the last two minutes. Bizarre rule. Should be one for every playoff game.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1381
Here was the crew for that game.

Eric Lewis, Curtis Blair, Brent Barnaky
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
How about the goal tending they called on TT, that wasn't?

How about when they called Smart out of bounds receiving a pass from Tatum in the corner, when he wasn't--not even close, the ref just anticipated he was...pretty much everyone missed that--I have a dvr and 75 inch TV....Smart was at least 7-8 inches inbound.

Lots of calls to keep BK in the game.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 02:56:30 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
https://youtu.be/9Ip8V5_MEZY

Nice observation from the game.

I was confused at the time, angry beyond belief when it was overturned, then in disbelief in the moments after. Having watched it a few times and read all I can on the rules I am now just simply confused.

I'm not convinced there is any sort of fix going on. For those that are, I'd be interested to hear SPECIFICALLY what you think is being done and, SPECIFICALLY for what reason......personally I just can't see it.

None the less, heck of a game, but this overturn has left me totally bewildered.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
What gets me is the inconsistency of calls. Some parts you can be extremely physical and others, if you touch the guy it’s a foul. Van Gundy said it in the game when TT is out battling for a board and guys are throwing haymakers at each other, but when Harden is going for a layup and he bumps his arm against the defender and it’s a foul.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I was listening to the game on ESPN radio so I didn't see the play when it happened. When Nash challenged the call, both the radio guys agreed it would be terrible if they overturned it. When it was overturned, they were both speechless.

And these were not Boston guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008